American Landing in Bournemouth!

YankCherry

First Team
No its not Pulisic it is me and my son!

The time is nigh!!!!! I hope to meet some of you while I am in town (hopefully at the pub after a great win!) I have all my travels set except four things that I was hoping my Cherry mates could help me with (in addition to all the great help many of you have been thus far! - Thank you so much

1. Landing at Heathrow at 9 am local time - What is best bus or train to get to Bournemouth?
2. After the match what is the best pub to go to (hopefully to see many of you. Drink on me if you find me and say "Hi".
3. I have one day unplanned Sunday January 20th. If you were in Bournemouth for one day with an 11 year old what would you do (Already have my Friday and Monday planned)
4. When in town what is the one place I MUST eat at and what should I order (this could get contentious!)

And that's it. Other than that I am all set. Please feel free to message me if you think you'll be at the pub post match that is mentioned here as the place to go as a huge supporter.

Hi.
1. Easiest. National express coaches. 2 hours journey.

2. Queens Park pub or the bar upstairs at the stadium.

3. Not a lot to do unless you want to go to the New Forest and maybe a Sunday lunch.
If it's sunny a good walk along the sea front.

4. SINE will laugh. But for good cheap British grub. The moon in the square pub. A bit like your chain dinners in the USA.

1. National Express coach goes to bmth they take about 2 hours....
2. Nearest pub is queens park, dont expect too much from it!
3. Find a pub to watch premier league match!
4. Chez Fred Westbourne - Fish & Chips

Reactions: drd
If you're after sampling some British food, a fry up in the English Rose Cafe in Boscombe. If you're up for going to Poole (which you should while you're around really), opposite the Asda next to Poole Train Station is a brilliant Fish and Chip shop, Lakeside, which has a restaurant behind it (walk in what looks like a normal chippy but go down the side of the counter). It over looks the bay and I think is a tenner for Fish and Chips and tea/coffee.

Honestly rather than food, the more contentious aspect will be which pub to go to after the game!

Can't comment on things to do, haven't lived there for for a while and when I visit it's just football, booze and food :)

Edit: Just to say Chez Fred is better fish and chips, but in terms of the location, view and all round experience Lakeside is better.

1. National Express coach goes to bmth they take about 2 hours....
2. Nearest pub is queens park, dont expect too much from it!
3. Find a pub to watch premier league match!
4. Chez Fred Westbourne -

Defo Chez Fred. The best fish 'n'n chips in the South. Think they open 1630 hours weekdays, so get there early if you want a table.

The Brewhouse in the triangle should have some decent UK and European beers (the Belgians in particular are VERY good at beer!) on if you're in the actual town centre. I've heard their food is good but I've never actually eaten there.

I don't know if Borisatha was "pulling your leg, me old mucker" but Wetherspoons Moon in the Square is not an experience you should pin many hopes on. Just google the Wetherspoons chain. Maybe of an evening if you want something quick and cheap but it's far, FAR from anything resmebling good. I nearly said far from memorable but I think the food is so unnoteworthy as to appear noteworthy.

Either way, have a great time and enjoy your few days! Highly recommend the New Forest if you're able to get out there. Walks (hikes as you guys call them), wild ponies wandering the forest, great old pubs (High Corner Inn being one of my faves) but you'll probably need someone to drive you out there, I don't think there's much in the way of public transport that way.

1. As others have said, getting the train from Heathrow is a pain.
It's usually the rail-air coach link to Woking, then South West Rail to Bournemouth. You could get a train to Hayes, then Reading, then Bournemouth but my stepson, who is up at a university close to Heathrow, tried it once and it's not a good journey.

You need a 205 National Express from Terminal 5 at LHR. Have a read, as booking in advance usually saves on cost.

You can get free transport to T5 (assuming you land at another terminal)

2. After the match, go to the upstairs bar, especially if we win.

3. With an 11-year old boy, on a wet Sunday in Bournemouth, sadly, not a lot. Wouldn't he rather be on his game-machine?
Try the Matchams Ski Centre?
National Motor Museum at Beaulieu? Would need a train/bus to get there.
Sad to say but probably best to get the train to Southampton and have a day on the city walls, at West Quay and a choice of food/entertainment.

Unless he's a fan of sea-life/ruined-castles and ghosts, in which case hire a couple of bikes and head to Purbeck. Where at least you have Monkey World and the Tank Museum, which might be to an 11-year old's taste, which you could easily do in one day, as they're next door to each other.

Or go to Wimborne Minster, where there's a good selection of shops, pubs, eateries, model-town, excellent chocolatier. Nearby is Moors Valley Park which is great for a day out in summer and would be okay in the winter if a sunny day.

4. Just lost a whole load of editing :( Anyway, for eats, with an 11-year, try Ludo Lounge in Southbourne.

Last edited:
Pub wise, unless anything major has changed I'd say your best options are the Queens Park and the Firkin Shed, both pretty close to the ground, at least compared to town centre anyway. Cricketers always worth a visit as the oldest pub in town. Not quite as old as the USA but not far off. Bournemouth is a pretty young town

Meant to say - the Ringwood Brewery tour is among the best in the country. Your 11 year old will love it!

You can get to Ringwood on the bus, though. And they give you 45 minutes to pour your own pints and drink as much as you can at the end of the tour!

Book in advance!

Lol Simon. I wasn’t pulling his leg. I thought he might get a view of your Standard English town centre pub without the frills and relatively trouble free for him and his son.

Lol Simon. I wasn’t pulling his leg. I thought he might get a view of your Standard English town centre pub without the frills and relatively trouble free for him and his son.
Had 2 Britscome home for a week.They like their beer went to the Moon on the Square. Had a steak bloody lovely for the price.

1. As others have said, getting the train from Heathrow is a pain.
It's usually the rail-air coach link to Woking, then South West Rail to Bournemouth. You could get a train to Hayes, then Reading, then Bournemouth but my stepson, who is up at a university close to Heathrow, tried it once and it's not a good journey.

You need a 205 National Express from Terminal 5 at LHR. Have a read, as booking in advance usually saves on cost.

You can get free transport to T5 (assuming you land at another terminal)

If he lands at T2/3 then you can walk to Central Bus station where the 205 departs from, it then goes to T4, then finally T5, so it's the same coach, no need to mess around getting trains to different terminals.

I've missed my couch by minutes at Central Bus Station twice and got the train to T5 mind you. The train takes a maxmimum of 19 minutes and the coach takes about 30 to get to T5. Also vice versa, if there has been traffic on the A31 and I'm cutting it fine I'll get off at T5 and take the train to T2/3 (I almost always fly from 3 as that's where Emirates go).

No its not Pulisic it is me and my son!

The time is nigh!!!!! I hope to meet some of you while I am in town (hopefully at the pub after a great win!) I have all my travels set except four things that I was hoping my Cherry mates could help me with (in addition to all the great help many of you have been thus far! - Thank you so much

1. Landing at Heathrow at 9 am local time - What is best bus or train to get to Bournemouth?
2. After the match what is the best pub to go to (hopefully to see many of you. Drink on me if you find me and say "Hi".
3. I have one day unplanned Sunday January 20th. If you were in Bournemouth for one day with an 11 year old what would you do (Already have my Friday and Monday planned)
4. When in town what is the one place I MUST eat at and what should I order (this could get contentious!)

And that's it. Other than that I am all set. Please feel free to message me if you think you'll be at the pub post match that is mentioned here as the place to go as a huge supporter.

I remember - Isn't you kid the mascot?

1. Coach to bournemouth interchange. Have you worked out how to get from there to where ever you're staying?

2. If you are with your son then remember that not all pubs welcome the under 18s. You'll have to ask. Dunno the policy in the upstairs bar or the QP.

3. Depends on the kid. Tank museum and baeughlie motor museum are good ideas. Swanage by bus on the chain link ferry (if its working) steam train to corfe and a look around corfe castle would be good I think. You could stop off and get a real close look at old Harry too.

4. Dunno. Gregg's sausage roll? (Joke).

Enjoy your stay.

;