Amid all the rumour and speculation...

afcb_rednblack

UTC Legend
...I wonder when we will actually have news/sight of our first signing.

More recently Eddie has been able to get much of his transfer business done early so, on that basis, I thought we might have someone already in place by now. There’s plenty of time of course and I’m sure there’s a lot of activity going on behind the scenes, but it would be good to see the first one over the line given some clubs around us have been very active.

We'll Jason Tindalls car was still at the ground tonight at 9.00 when I was walking the dog....

I'm getting a bit nervous about next season. Whilst I do this ever summer I feel other sides have got stronger. Evans to Leicester, Kongolo to Huddersfield. Yes we have a good squad but we all know where our weaknesses are. Hoping Eddie is picking the right player to fit into the right slot and I'm sure he is. Everyone is a year older, other sides are wiser to what we do, I'm hoping we make the right moves to make sure we finish where we have the past two seasons preferably with a better start so we don't play catch up.

I honestly think Wolves won't be in the relegation mix next season as much as I absolutely hate them. In Eddie I trust though

Some clubs are only just releasing their retained list, like Liverpool today.

Eddie also mentioned about the possibility of signing someone who is playing in the World Cup, so maybe he is keeping his options open.

The prices being asked for some players has risen since last season and if a few clubs are after the same player that could rise even further.

On the other side, Leicester paid £3.5 million for a player who not that long back had a £20 million price tag, so there are bargains out there if you act quickly before another club snaps them up.

I'm getting a bit nervous about next season. Whilst I do this ever summer I feel other sides have got stronger. Evans to Leicester, Kongolo to Huddersfield. Yes we have a good squad but we all know where our weaknesses are. Hoping Eddie is picking the right player to fit into the right slot and I'm sure he is. Everyone is a year older, other sides are wiser to what we do, I'm hoping we make the right moves to make sure we finish where we have the past two seasons preferably with a better start so we don't play catch up.

I honestly think Wolves won't be in the relegation mix next season as much as I absolutely hate them. In Eddie I trust though

This is the sort of mindset we need. We should be worried every year about retaining prem status. Hard to compete at this level as each year the bar is rising. A lot of deadwood has been removed from the prem over the last couple of seasons. However 3 decent signings like last summer should keep us up.

Depending if Arter goes LB is the only position I see as being critical in needing to be filled to keep us up next season. A young RB and CB for the future I`d be happy with.

Won’t sign anyone until accounting year rolls over imo.

Agree, also nicely timed for the TV money getting lumped into the accounts in July . I get the paranoia as well mind. I believe I'm still suffering from 'embargo syndrome' after which any signing results in some kind of manic hysteria until you look back and remember the likes of Frank Demouge and Rantie 4 .....or even Marc Wilson, Brad Smith, Jor.....I think I'll stop there.

Conspiracy theorists, if there is no money available now how was there in January for Mepham? He's stated unequivocally in an interview that we made a bid of around £5.5 million so I'm sure if EH thinks he can get a target then we'd have made the bid.

Even if you were right, there's nothing to stop us bidding now with the agreement that the first payment is due on the first day of the new accounting year, or that the deal is completed on that date. That's common practise at lots of companies. Hell, I even organise invoicing and payments at my micro-business around the tax year to avoid extra and unnecessary tax liabilities.

Agree, also nicely timed for the TV money getting lumped into the accounts in July . I get the paranoia as well mind. I believe I'm still suffering from 'embargo syndrome' after which any signing results in some kind of manic hysteria until you look back and remember the likes of Frank Demouge and Rantie 4 .....or even Marc Wilson, Brad Smith, Jor.....I think I'll stop there.

All a bit glass-half-empty isn't it? You could remember the likes of Ake, King, Cook, Wilshere, Begovic, etc.

Our team is good enough to stay up even if we didn't make any signings, signing new players doesn't mean we strengthen the team. it has to be the right players. We don't need a Pogba scenario, just walking around the pitch thinking they are great.

All a bit glass-half-empty isn't it? You could remember the likes of Ake, King, Cook, Wilshere, Begovic, etc.

Neil hijacked my keyboard for a second there. My point was that our expectations are quite often higher than they should be (we're like kids in a sweet shop) when in reality no one has a clue how any signing will really pan out.

This is the sort of mindset we need. We should be worried every year about retaining prem status. Hard to compete at this level as each year the bar is rising. A lot of deadwood has been removed from the prem over the last couple of seasons. However 3 decent signings like last summer should keep us up.

I agree we should be worried about retaining prem status but completely disagree with everything else.

If the EPL is getting stronger every year we'd have teams dominating Europe. As it stands this season was the first time in 6 years an English club has reached the the final of the champions league and over a decade since an English club has won it. Doesn't sounds like a league that's had year on year improvement.

A lot of clubs survive on buying players of low talent (for the league) but at the peak of their career. Burnley for example only paid a transfer fee for one player under 28 years of age last season. Evans to Leciester is a 30 year old brought in to replace a 33 year old Huth. In my opinion it's more a case of treading water than improvement. The big 6 (well mostly Man Utd) are trying to buy every highly rated player they can to purchase some success but chances are half will end up as the next Pogba or replacing a Pogba. Occasionally they'll stumble on a Mo Salah but he'll probably have a poor season and Liverpool will be buying the next top scorer from Italy for £50M

I agree that we need to transition to new players as our stalwarts head towards retirement with Pugh, Daniels, Surman and Francis all over 30. I feel like that comes from gradually introducing young players like Cargill/Simpson, Mahoney, Hyndman to the first team like we have with Ake, Ibe, L. Cook, Mings, etc.

Our team is good enough to stay up even if we didn't make any signings, signing new players doesn't mean we strengthen the team. it has to be the right players. We don't need a Pogba scenario, just walking around the pitch thinking they are great.
Dangerous statement. Accepting what you have is a sign of complacency, high risk whilst everyone around you strengthens (or at least thinks they are with new signings)

...I wonder when we will actually have news/sight of our first signing.

More recently Eddie has been able to get much of his transfer business done early so, on that basis, I thought we might have someone already in place by now. There’s plenty of time of course and I’m sure there’s a lot of activity going on behind the scenes, but it would be good to see the first one over the line given some clubs around us have been very active.
The thing for me is that Eddie has said that his focus this summer is the training ground and the stadium and so I'm not disappointed with the lack of early signings.

I'll be disappointed if there is still no news on the infrastructure projects by end of August though!

;