An alternative view from the home end

N19

First Team
For various (but slightly annoying family) reasons I found myself sat in the Chapel end last night amongst the home fans.

I have never been surrounded by a more disinterested, uneducated and negative bunch of people. There was zero atmosphere apart from about 5 minutes after the penalty and a solitary “when the saints” which I found quite incredible considering I was at an end behind the goal.

There was constant complaining and I general lack of understanding on the basic rules of football including offside and VAR.

They were quite magnanimous in defeat and with exception of a few gripes about us going down easily and time wasting were complimentary of us and our play. My favourite moment was the abuse Boufal got when he went down under a challenge and pretended to be hurt.

But my word - the thing I was most impressed by, above even the result, was the support from the away end. You guys were amazing, In full voice nearly the whole game. Completely out sung the home fans. Hats off to all who were there and thank you for making a cherry in the home end proud!

Last edited:
A friend of mine being a life long Saints supporter said we totally deserved the win. Even when we were under a little pressure in the 2nd half he felt they were never going to score as our defence stood firm FANTASTIC RESULT

My two Saints bought me a pint at the end.....they turned down my offer at HT of a Cherry- flavoured J2 0 each!

Comments from them ;
"You deserved it on the 1st half performance and just about overall"
"This genius Howe is gonna win the PL one day!"
" King ran us Ragged".
" Impressed with Harry Wilson ..and Rico! "
" Ralph should have started Bertrand"
" Ake to Manu? ..no way ..too good...Madrid or Ajax!"
" We dont like that bloody Steve Cook"

I gave them some grief at the start about the Pompey thing. No surrender on that from them! ...but they did say ...there is some justification now to consider us a Derby too !...no sh#t that at 9.50 pm!

Followed a couple of scummers up the road and they were very complimentary about us. Well organised, skillful, fast. They reckoned they were in for a long tough season

On my few visits to the Dell as a neutral in the 70's, 80's, I found that the fans get on their back if they are not 1 up within 15 minutes.

Here is hoping Pompey do the biz next week. Go on Brett..score for the lads.

.....used to venture to The Dell in the 70’s when I couldn’t get to an AFCB away game.....the road down to the train station often became a war zone of fans with scarves tied to their wrists and Doc Martens chasing you down!....recall some bloodied Liverpool fans getting stuck into the locals!

;