Another day, another dodgy decision for the top six

VAR won't solve anything.

Would VAR not have been involved in those two decisions - the blatant pen and the offside goal ? I only ask as It will come with some caveats. It should have been 3-2, I'm not saying we deserved it but some of the recent decisions against us have been pretty damned poor and today was right up there.

I hate using excuses and have kept clear of this thread until now but either things just aren't going our way or there is some kind of big / small club subliminal something going on with these officials.

If 'it evens out over the season' as we are told so often then we're going to get some cracking decisions go our way over the next few games.
Yes, EG, as one who has often suggested that calls even out, I was just thinking the same thing. We are well past due.

Would VAR not have been involved in those two decisions - the blatant pen and the offside goal ? I only ask as It will come with some caveats. It should have been 3-2, I'm not saying we deserved it but some of the recent decisions against us have been pretty damned poor and today was right up there.
From my understanding VAR will have only 4 mandates:
> goals review
> red cards
> penalties
> mistaken identification of players.
By those standards, yes you would think those two decisions would be subject to review.

VAR won't solve EVERYTHING, but it will solve SOME THINGS.
Agree though that the kick to Daniels in the box still may not have been given as a pen (based on stuff from the WC in summer).

Let’s face it the cherries are never going to get the right decisions against the top six. Always playing against 12 men

They might have overturned the offside goal but smaller clubs aren't going to get 50/50 pens and probably won't get 80/20 pens against the bigger sides.

There will be zero fallout from these dodgy decisions when they go for bigger sides and VAR has been shown to be fairly useless on subjective decisions. I reckon the stats will bare this out once it's been in for a couple of years.

I hate using excuses and have kept clear of this thread until now but either things just aren't going our way or there is some kind of big / small club subliminal something going on with these officials.

There is a big club bias and I honestly believe VAR won't help. Like I say maybe it would for unarguable decisions like the offside but we'll never get our fair share of penalty decisions against big clubs. VAR wouldn't have helped with the Daniels pen imo - they don't give a toss about getting decisions correct they look to avoid getting loads of grief.

Out of all the Top 6 games this year, probably the worst referee for the big decisions in the game. Wasn't too bad for the smaller decisions.
All decisions today were potential game changing ones as well.
I actually laughed when he sent Bailly off. "4-1 to United, no way for Bournewasstherename to come back from this, this'll make it look like I wasn't biased towards a Top 6 club".

Reactions: drd
How is VAR initiated? If the ref or lino don't see, for example, Lukaku offside then how do they know to ask VAR? Do our players have to "do an Arter" and get after him to make sure he does?

My issue is we will undoubtedly have fewer VAR reviews than the big clubs and will still be lumped with some stinking injustices.

I think var will help the smaller clubs . As we know the bigger clubs do get more decisions in their favour .

How is VAR initiated? If the ref or lino don't see, for example, Lukaku offside then how do they know to ask VAR? Do our players have to "do an Arter" and get after him to make sure he does?

My issue is we will undoubtedly have fewer VAR reviews than the big clubs and will still be lumped with some stinking injustices.
Officials watching the game in a studio connected to the referee via an ear piece.

Do you mean the studio refs initiate whether an incident is reviewed?

Do they review EVERY incident then contact the ref when what they see differs?

Only if there is a "clear and obvious " error in their view so still relies on the officials and their interpretation generally.

And think the on field ref still has the final say ..

For what it's worth I wasn't convinced on the red for Young, I'd need to see it again. The penalty decision though was insane.

When you see images on social media, its a red all day long. Young isn't fully in control of what he's doing and puts King in danger, which ends up clattering his ankle. Young has done this before too.

Do you mean the studio refs initiate whether an incident is reviewed?

Do they review EVERY incident then contact the ref when what they see differs?
I think so, from the images at the WC they had a team of people looking at monitors - some will have been tech guys. Then if they see something doesn't look quite right, they look closer\get the ref to look at it.

Only if there is a "clear and obvious " error in their view so still relies on the officials and their interpretation generally.

And think the on field ref still has the final say ..

Most of ours have been clear and obvious though, offsides for example.

;