Another day, another dodgy decision for the top six

Been watching quite a bit of both codes of rugby lately. Why can't we get referees like they do. Stand no nonsense or dissent, announce your decision via a mike, then get it checked (generally quickly) if there is a tiny bit of doubt. Saw a quite diminutive ref give a rollocking to a 20 odd stone player. The player accepted it and behaved without even a **** you in reply!
Totally agree with you, however the referee's are their own worst enemy. How many times do you see a player gobbing off at a ref and he doesn't book them, when he's well within his right to? (I believe the rules allow them to book them for any sort of dissent?). I also realise we probably wouldn't be in the Premier League because Harry Arter would've got sent off every other game ;)
As soon as players start getting sent off and banned for this, with a zero tolerance policy of only the captain can talk to the ref unless the ref chooses to speak to the player in question, nothing will change.

I think the refs lack imagination. They now have that stupid spray, the shaving foam stuff. If you want to talk to someone, then walk up to them, spray a line of that on the ground, walk a few yards inside it and let everyone know that if they cross the line they get booked. Doesn't have to be a rule, crossing the line having been instructed not to is the very definition of dissent

Been watching quite a bit of both codes of rugby lately. Why can't we get referees like they do. Stand no nonsense or dissent, announce your decision via a mike, then get it checked (generally quickly) if there is a tiny bit of doubt. Saw a quite diminutive ref give a rollocking to a 20 odd stone player. The player accepted it and behaved without even a **** you in reply!
It was interesting that the ref in the England France game yesterday was not only miked up but also had a camera on his chest recording the responses of the players he was admonishing. This seems like a good way of stopping them mouthing off too much.

Rugby also has a system whereby the captain, and only the captain, is allowed to discuss decisions with the ref (unless the ref chooses to call over a specific player), This prevents the situation football as where half a team surrounds the ref shouting at him. Teams know when they are annoyed at a decision, their captain is entitled to go and query it, but if the rest of them do it, they risk a sin-bin.

It seems Eddie has had enough of these dodgy decisions against top6 sides.
Of course nothing will be done until var is introduced next season. But I agree with him the first goal does change the game plan like we saw against Chelsea.

losing manager moans about refs shocker!
Stupid comment. He has a right to complain. It changed the game. If they hadn't of scored the crowd and players would have a different mentality thinking about another team they couldn't break down after the drawing 2 games.

I don't think you & I are likely to agree about much in life to be honest

:utc:

I don't think you & I are likely to agree about much in life to be honest

:utc:
To be fair you do seem to back the refs up on any slating of their sometimes bias towards big clubs.It may not be the reason we have lost the game,but come on,some of the decisions are seemingly given in favour of the big clubs.Yes refs are human,make mistakes,but it's the inconsistency that I can't get my head around

Last edited:
Still waiting for that list of pro afcb decisions this season that cancel out the mistakes in favour of the high profile clubs.

Still waiting for that list of pro afcb decisions this season that cancel out the mistakes in favour of the high profile clubs.
No 'touch of magic" so far this year. I'm not sure if I am just noticing it more, because of what the boys on this forum point out, but I don't feel "even steven" will be by any time soon.
Wonder what we will be saying in the last 9 games of the season with only Spurs in the big 6 category?

No 'touch of magic" so far this year. I'm not sure if I am just noticing it more, because of what the boys on this forum point out, but I don't feel "even steven" will be by any time soon.
Wonder what we will be saying in the last 9 games of the season with only Spurs in the big 6 category?

Come Burnley at home in April, it's all gonna happen. We'll get 3 dodgy penalties, a goal against ruled offside incorrectly, and two of theirs sent off for no reason. Sean Dyche will spontaneously combust.

To be fair you do seem to back the refs up on any slating of their sometimes bias towards big clubs.It may not be the reason we have lost the game,but come on,some of the decisions are seemingly given in favour of the big clubs.Yes refs are human,make mistakes,but it's the inconsistency that I can't get my head around
Well thats why there are 'inconsistencies'. If refs were perfect then there wouldn't be.

Well thats why there are 'inconsistencies'. If refs were perfect then there wouldn't be.
Your missing the point Rob,they seem to give all the close or bad decisions to the bigger clubs,not to the smaller ones,which makes them inconsistent and bias in my view,wouldn't mind the inconsistencies if they went both ways

Last edited:
It was interesting that the ref in the England France game yesterday was not only miked up but also had a camera on his chest recording the responses of the players he was admonishing. This seems like a good way of stopping them mouthing off too much.
The Ref, Nigel Owens, is superb at his job. If only he could educate the PL refs on how to do it properly. I doubt he gets paid as much as some of the idiots we get in charge.

;