Arnaut Danjuma

I would pay the entrance fee alone to watch players like him bursting forward and creating havoc in the oppositions defence. With a crowd buzzing everytime he picks the ball up that might even give him the desire to track back a bit as well. David Brooks is another on his day that can get bums off seats when he gets the ball but players like that are special. I agree a team needs to be set up to cover such players but let’s not just become a Stoke and park the bus ready for a set piece opportunity.
We used to have another, short in stature but overloaded with shite.

I would pay the entrance fee alone to watch players like him bursting forward and creating havoc in the oppositions defence. With a crowd buzzing everytime he picks the ball up that might even give him the desire to track back a bit as well. David Brooks is another on his day that can get bums off seats when he gets the ball but players like that are special. I agree a team needs to be set up to cover such players but let’s not just become a Stoke and park the bus ready for a set piece opportunity.
I don’t want us to be like Stoke, but it’s disingenuous to suggest that it is a choice between flair players who play for themselves rather than the team, or park the bus and play for set pieces. For example, who is the better footballer? Danjuma or 2014/15 Marc Pugh? Easily Danjuma? Who would I rather have in the team now? Easily 14/15 Marc Pugh. I genuinely believe that in this league you can’t afford to carry anybody if you want to be successful. If you watch Norwich for example, the work rate of their talented forwards is impeccable. They will work and workout of possession. This notion that Danjuma should get away with not having defensive responsibilities just does not work at this level. You simply have to be prepared to put in a shift.

Yeah I get that and I guess as a club we just have to commit to what style of football we are going to play as a team. If it’s attractive counter attacking football then everybody has to know where to play with and without the ball. If we are going to play route one we get rid of these light weight speed machines and replace with Steve Fletchers

I don’t want us to be like Stoke, but it’s disingenuous to suggest that it is a choice between flair players who play for themselves rather than the team, or park the bus and play for set pieces. For example, who is the better footballer? Danjuma or 2014/15 Marc Pugh? Easily Danjuma? Who would I rather have in the team now? Easily 14/15 Marc Pugh. I genuinely believe that in this league you can’t afford to carry anybody if you want to be successful. If you watch Norwich for example, the work rate of their talented forwards is impeccable. They will work and workout of possession. This notion that Danjuma should get away with not having defensive responsibilities just does not work at this level. You simply have to be prepared to put in a shift.

He can think he's the best player that ever lived but if he doesn't work his b*llocks off for whatever team he is in he's going to achieve very little in the game. He thinks he's Champions League? Surely he's seen the best clubs in that competition - they don't carry passengers. If he wants to reach that level he needs to be exceptional at every aspect of the game and he needs to start now.

It's also disingenuous to compare him to Pugh....they play in different positions.
This place is hilarious at times....we've spent most of the season moaning about using wing backs and now we've changed to a more attacking system with 3 attackers we want 2 of them to behave like wing backs!

He can think he's the best player that ever lived but if he doesn't work his b*llocks off for whatever team he is in he's going to achieve very little in the game. He thinks he's Champions League? Surely he's seen the best clubs in that competition - they don't carry passengers. If he wants to reach that level he needs to be exceptional at every aspect of the game and he needs to start now.
The best clubs play their forwards where they can be the most effective....in the opposition half not their own......I want us to concentrate on our strengths for the rest of the season...
Just attack...do what the likes of Man City used to do to us and play a high line with forwards left high up the pitch to pin opposition full backs to the edge of their own 18 yard box.....I want to see us score more goals like we did against Barnsley where Bego catches the ball from a Barnsley attack and throws it 50 yards to Stan who then squared it to our other wide forward Danjuma to score.....that goal doesn't happen if they are helping out in our penalty area.....
As for his comments who cares?......No one did when Jack Wilshere came out and said the same thing.

Is everyone watching a special service that tells you exactly what each player has been asked, what they are thinking at every moment and how much effort they are putting in. To say so definitively he's not a team player is madness.

Without knowing what the game plan was and what instructions Danjuma received, hard to know whether or not he is doing exactly as asked, but we don't like it or simply not putting in effort.

I would guess rather than presume to know that it's the former. He does work with Solanke to close down, but is not dropping back more generally into a wing back position because he isn't playing there. If he does lose the ball in our half, he does work to get the ball back (without committing fouls like so many others). He actively helps defends corners and now reduces his own goals chance by taking them for us. I don't see a lack of effort but it looks controlled and measured, rather than headless.

My over-riding point would be that to improve the team, I wouldn't be looking at him. With better players alongside worth passing to, he will look better. He played a good and quick pass to Billing on Sat. Billing's sloppy control and return pass stopped a very good attack that could have resulted in a shot. In contrast, when Wilshere got forward to link up Tuesday, Danjuma takes a great pass and the team got the best out of him.

Plenty of others to replace first, unless you are looking to re-invest his fee in a new pacey centre half.

Exactly.

If he did this at Chelsea Tuchel would drag him off in no time like he did with Hudson-Odoi a couple of weeks ago. Brought on as sub, didn't work hard enough for the team so was dragged back off again after about 20 minutes.

The best clubs play their forwards where they can be the most effective....in the opposition half not their own......I want us to concentrate on our strengths for the rest of the season...
Just attack...do what the likes of Man City used to do to us and play a high line with forwards left high up the pitch to pin opposition full backs to the edge of their own 18 yard box.....I want to see us score more goals like we did against Barnsley where Bego catches the ball from a Barnsley attack and throws it 50 yards to Stan who then squared it to our other wide forward Danjuma to score.....that goal doesn't happen if they are helping out in our penalty area.....
As for his comments who cares?......No one did when Jack Wilshere came out and said the same thing.

Swap Danjuma and Stan in that break and he stops dead, waits for the defence to get back in position, doesn't pass and tries to beat every Barnsley player to score a wonder goal. Its not just about tracking back.

You're living in a different world if you think Man City players would get away with playing like Danjuma.

It doesn't matter to me what he says or how good he thinks he is but if he wants to achieve what he thinks he's capable of he needs to improve. It's no coincidence that he's playing where he's playing.

Last edited:
Swap Danjuma and Stan in that break and he stops dead, waits for the defence to get back in position, doesn't pass and tries to beat every Barnsley player to score a wonder goal. Its not just about tracking back.

You're living in a different world if you think Man City players would get away with playing like Danjuma.

It doesn't matter to me what he says or how good he thinks he is but if he wants to achieve what he thinks he's capable of he needs to improve. It's no coincidence that he's playing where he's playing.
If you had you't way there would be nobody for Bego to throw the ball to.....you can't have an attack minded system with three attackers and at the same time expect to see all hands to the pump when it comes to defending.......what do you want?

If you had you't way there would be nobody for Bego to throw the ball to.....you can't have an attack minded system with three attackers and at the same time expect to see all hands to the pump when it comes to defending.......what do you want?

I'm sorry? What's my way?

Could you regale me with my opinions please because you appear to know more about them than I do.

I've said he needs to work harder for the team, stop wasting possession and slowing the game down. He does. He'd not get near a top side playing like he does now.

I'm sorry? What's my way?

Could you regale me with my opinions please because you appear to know more about them than I do.

I've said he needs to work harder for the team, stop wasting possession and slowing the game down. He does. He'd not get near a top side playing like he does now.
Oh I'm sorry I thought you were of the opinion he should be tracking back to help out our full backs.....if that's not the case we're obviously singing from the same hymsheet...

Why are you looking at things in such a black and white way? It is possible for an attacker to be available on the counter attack but also to do the defensive side of the game too. You think Buendia at Norwich just hangs at the top end of the pitch for the entire game? Nope. Danjuma provides many goals and assists but how many has he cost us going the other way through his greediness on the ball and lack of defensive work?

Players need to adapt to the circumstances as a game pans out...systems and formations cannot be static with all that happens stemming from that which is theorised ! ..its not black and white science...
..'hype and type' players have to impose themselves as they read the game....that's what Sterling did in every game against us!

Likes been said, we don't know what danjumas been told as part of the game plan. If he's not performing as per requested, you'd like to think he'd be pulled at half time.
As he's not then he's either following the game plan or we have poor management

There's no doubt that he's a very good player, but if he does get a move to a team like M City or Chelsea I think it'll put his talent into perspective - for him. Right now he's a big fish in a very small pond.

There's no doubt that he's a very good player, but if he does get a move to a team like M City or Chelsea I think it'll put his talent into perspective - for him. Right now he's a big fish in a very small pond.
Yes, he'll end up like Josh King if he isn't careful. A dream move is only a dream move if it actually helps you to progress your career. He can ask JK how that's working out for him ! Sometimes you can only progress your career at the right club in the right division. A lot of players seem intent on running before they can walk. He'd do well to improve his all-round play and consistency here first. As others have mentioned, he could very well disappear into obscurity at a big club. Plenty of big clubs would probably have better options than Danjuma on the bench and he wouldn't get as many chances to prove himself as he does here. He needs to improve in many ways before he'd be a regular starter for the big boys IMO. I'm sure some of them would want to buy him, I just don't think he'd make the grade with them and become an indispensable starter for them as he is at the moment. Maybe someday he could be a regular first-teamer with a top club but I wouldn't say he is there yet !

IMO he either stays here and works hard to improve, goes to a top club and gets acquainted with their bench or considers somewhere like Crystal Palace or Saints or Villa to be his "dream move". I think those are his options and my advice to him would be to stay here and make a name for himself, work on his all-round play somewhat under the radar and hope that he eventually becomes good enough to attract a big club and immediately nail down a starting spot with them. Well, if he's genuinely ambitious that is and not just a slave to his agent or his bank balance !

Yes, he'll end up like Josh King if he isn't careful. A dream move is only a dream move if it actually helps you to progress your career. He can ask JK how that's working out for him ! Sometimes you can only progress your career at the right club in the right division. A lot of players seem intent on running before they can walk. He'd do well to improve his all-round play and consistency here first. As others have mentioned, he could very well disappear into obscurity at a big club. Plenty of big clubs would probably have better options than Danjuma on the bench and he wouldn't get as many chances to prove himself as he does here. He needs to improve in many ways before he'd be a regular starter for the big boys IMO. I'm sure some of them would want to buy him, I just don't think he'd make the grade with them and become an indispensable starter for them as he is at the moment. Maybe someday he could be a regular first-teamer with a top club but I wouldn't say he is there yet !

IMO he either stays here and works hard to improve, goes to a top club and gets acquainted with their bench or considers somewhere like Crystal Palace or Saints or Villa to be his "dream move". I think those are his options and my advice to him would be to stay here and make a name for himself, work on his all-round play somewhat under the radar and hope that he eventually becomes good enough to attract a big club and immediately nail down a starting spot with them. Well, if he's genuinely ambitious that is and not just a slave to his agent or his bank balance !

Yes, right now he's a very good Championship player and I think that's gone to his head a bit and he's forgotten that he didn't exactly set the world alight in the PL and has only actually appeared twice in the CL, both losses, so not really someone whose "used to the CL". Like you, I think if he gets a move to a big club he's going to spend a lot of time on the bench but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he stays unless the club can get someone very impressive as manager.

Why are you looking at things in such a black and white way? It is possible for an attacker to be available on the counter attack but also to do the defensive side of the game too. You think Buendia at Norwich just hangs at the top end of the pitch for the entire game? Nope. Danjuma provides many goals and assists but how many has he cost us going the other way through his greediness on the ball and lack of defensive work?
Well the example i used was very black and white....that goal wouldn't have been possible if Stan and Danjuma were back defending the Barnsley attack..........as for how many goals Danjuma has cost us i'll have to admit i don't know...i mean i can't think of a single goal where i've thought 'oh yes thats down to Danjuma's greediness on the ball and lack of defensive work'......soooo my best guess would be none........but please enlighten me if you can think of any examples.

;