Arnaut Danjuma

Theres a massive difference between running the length of the pitch and putting the finishing touch to a breakaway than being put clean through from a quick kick from their keeper........if a players starting position isn't advanced then it isn't happening.....doesn't matter if it's Danjuma...Mahrez or Theirry Henry.

I honestly don't understand what you are on about. Their first goal was a long punt from their keeper to an advanced player. In any case there are loads of different types of goals you need your attacking players to score. There's no issue with him being advanced at times, De Bruyne was Man City's most advanced player a lot yesterday and other times he's tracking runners in his own box. Mahrez the same. Danjuma needs that level of effort to be the player he wants to be. Top players are not one dimensional.

I honestly don't understand what you are on about. Their first goal was a long punt from their keeper to an advanced player. In any case there are loads of different types of goals you need your attacking players to score. There's no issue with him being advanced at times, De Bruyne was Man City's most advanced player a lot yesterday and other times he's tracking runners in his own box. Mahrez the same. Danjuma needs that level of effort to be the player he wants to be. Top players are not one dimensional.
So you're agreeing with me then?.....had that advanced player been back defending they wouldn't have scored?.........If you are having difficulty understanding my point then then go back to the original post that you replied too...what i actually said was that we have to be careful not to over emphasise the importance of his defensive work otherwise goals like the one at Millwall wouldn't be possible.....there has to be a balance......again you now seem to be agreeing with me on that.

So you're agreeing with me then?.....had that advanced player been back defending they wouldn't have scored?.........If you are having difficulty understanding my point then then go back to the original post that you replied too...what i actually said was that we have to be careful not to over emphasise the importance of his defensive work otherwise goals like the one at Millwall wouldn't be possible.....there has to be a balance......again you now seem to be agreeing with me on that.

yes, there has to be a degree of playing to peoples strengths, whilst not compromising the overall shape, style of the team.

argument for not tiring players out, expecting too much, otherwise blunts their effectiveness, prime strengths.

although stamina can be improved, some players will naturally have a better 'engine' than others.

you don't want to tire out your main attacking threat, getting him to track back all the time.

players like le tissier, pirlo, weren;t expected to cover much ground and they're not even wingers, forwards (sort of touches on the luxury player debate, sort of...)

scouts/mgmt need to identify if player has workrate, stamina, teamwork ethic etc suitable for what you expect their role to be, if not can it be worked on/are they likely receptive to the change/instructions and if not, can they be accommodated in how you plan to line the team up.

Last edited:

I've said he's got to work harder defensively, like Man City's players did yesterday. Whether they are deep tracking runners or pressing the opposition defence they work their absolute socks off. There are no passengers. He can be as advanced as you like but he's got to work harder in this regard if he wants to be the best. You cannot overemphasise this.

Man City score loads of goals like the one at Millwall you seem fixated on. As I say, they scored one last night.

I've said he's got to work harder defensively, like Man City's players did yesterday. Whether they are deep tracking runners or pressing the opposition defence they work their absolute socks off. There are no passengers. He can be as advanced as you like but he's got to work harder in this regard if he wants to be the best. You cannot overemphasise this.

Man City score loads of goals like the one at Millwall you seem fixated on. As I say, they scored one last night.
Again you seem to be agreeing with me .....apart the last bit.

By that logic we should be raising Eastleigh for 3 or 4 of their players!

If you look at their peers, the ones who benefited from loans this year, you get a better sense of how many might make the grade at CL, let alone PL. How many of the players out on loan give you confidence that when the U21s get a real run that they will make the grade that we need.

For me Anthony is probably pick of the bunch, and one ,maybe two will be ready next year, but possibly from the ones who have been out on loan. We more likely to raid L1 for out of contract players and maybe see if there is a deal to take the centre half Liverpool shouldn't have bought
Liverpool have stiffed us too many times in my opinion.

Again you seem to be agreeing with me .....apart the last bit.

Probably. It's not controversial to say he would have to up his defensive game to reach the very top. I don't buy the arguments about curbing his attacking game though because, as I say, the top players do it all. No reason to think he couldn't though, he clearly believes in himself.

Matt Ritchie seemed more than able to do both, he put in a huge defensive shift for the team and comfortably bettered Danjuma’s attacking numbers in his best season for us.

Matt Ritchie seemed more than able to do both, he put in a huge defensive shift for the team and comfortably bettered Danjuma’s attacking numbers in his best season for us.
Not sure i can remember Matt ever making the run that Danjuma did for the Millwall goal !.........tbf he didn't have too as we had a Centre forward who would .......if we have Danjuma putting in the sort of defensive shift Richie did who would Bego be able to pick out in the absence of a Callum Wilson type striker.?

If we stay down selling him could be beneficial to the team overall IF we are able to sell him for a very good fee (25m+) and IF a good portion is reinvested in the team. Don’t shoot me down, just an opinion. But worth bearing in mind the last time we finished a season at this level and lost our best player, we went on to win the league the next season.
Genuine question: Which player? I'm old and senile!

Not sure i can remember Matt ever making the run that Danjuma did for the Millwall goal !.........tbf he didn't have too as we had a Centre forward who would .......if we have Danjuma putting in the sort of defensive shift Richie did who would Bego be able to pick out in the absence of a Callum Wilson type striker.?

Ritchie may be a wide mid/winger, but different style of player to Danjuma. Danjuma is more more of winger/wide forward.

Some of Ritchie's main attribute are/were work rate, stamina, crossing, long shot power, and decent number of defensive qualities for a wide midfielder (after all played fullback/wingback too, can't see danjuma playing there).

Danjuma is more of an exposlive, enigmatic winger, relying more on pace, acceleration and looks to beat players more than Ritchie. Unlikely he'll ever have same work rate, stamina of Ritchie, but probably more natural talent to go further.

Ritchie always struck me as a top championship player, but average at best Premiership player. Whereas Danjuma could probably go a level beyond that.

Seem to be very fixated on this one goal. Imagine the amount of goals we would have prevented going in the other way of our left fullback had occasionally been given defensive cover. Works both ways.

Seem to be very fixated on this one goal. Imagine the amount of goals we would have prevented going in the other way of our left fullback had occasionally been given defensive cover. Works both ways.
No I can't imagine any.....give me a clue as to what goals should Arnie have prevented?

Ritchie may be a wide mid/winger, but different style of player to Danjuma. Danjuma is more more of winger/wide forward.

Some of Ritchie's main attribute are/were work rate, stamina, crossing, long shot power, and decent number of defensive qualities for a wide midfielder (after all played fullback/wingback too, can't see danjuma playing there).

Danjuma is more of an exposlive, enigmatic winger, relying more on pace, acceleration and looks to beat players more than Ritchie. Unlikely he'll ever have same work rate, stamina of Ritchie, but probably more natural talent to go further.

Ritchie always struck me as a top championship player, but average at best Premiership player. Whereas Danjuma could probably go a level beyond that.
Well I know all that and so do you.....but Waza doesn't apparently .

;