Asmir Begovic

Boruc has had his moments, I like his instagram antics and character and he probably is one of our best ever keepers but I just don't think he's PL quality anymore.
I'm not going to do something stupid like judge Begovic for his loan spell here as an 18 year old, keepers have to learn somewhere. He did keep a clean sheet at Forest though which was a good achievement at that time. He's very tall and commanding and only 29 so I think this would be a great signing.

Sadly some fans already moaning about begpvic for that loan spell...couldnt make it up, could you! No doubt they will be on his back if he does an error

I seem to remember Leyton Orient away he pulled off a super save, but then gifted them a goal? Anway, would be a superb signing and got lots of years left in him.

We definitely need another PL level keeper. And PL level keepers are definitely not cheap. 10M feels about right (not to say value).

I can see why Eddie would be more partial to splashing the cash on a known quantity rather than signing an up and coming Championship keeper.

Wish he'd focus efforts on signing an established CB though.

If I was Begovic, I would stay at Chelsea until the end of the season. He only needs to play 6 more games to get a Premier League medal if Chelsea win the league. Then look for a move in the summer if that's what he wants.

...if I was Begovic I would sign for us, he could be a massive player at Dean Court...and he can score too!

Silent AFCB - 20/1/2017 04:56

Begovic was a wall for Stoke. Would probably be our best PL signing to date imo.

Potential to make a huge difference. Eddie has always been ruthless on keepers unlike some other positions: dumping James, signing and dropping Alsopp and likewise camp and boruc. All have performed for him including boruc who has been an excellent signing but begovic would be a huge statement of intent. We may not get begovic now but maybe boruc will have extra motivation to perform for his next contract.

AFCBade - 20/1/2017 00:46

Sadly some fans already moaning about begpvic for that loan spell...couldnt make it up, could you! No doubt they will be on his back if he does an error

I don't think anyone is being entirely serious about that, I wasn't at least.

...I also think that it would make a difference to have a more dominant GK to help our defenders cope during games?

Garbo - 20/1/2017 07:47

...I also think that it would make a difference to have a more dominant GK to help our defenders cope during games?

A very valid point there Garbo. We look so disorganised defensively sometimes and I really don't see Boruc as a great organiser.

A top keeper in that respect helps out the whole defence.

Would love Begovic.

Boruc had an incredible start to the season but whether thanks to the defence not helping him out or something else has shipped a LOT of goals in the last 10 games. Competition for places is always good.

simonhpieman - 20/1/2017 08:42

Would love Begovic.

Boruc had an incredible start to the season but whether thanks to the defence not helping him out or something else has shipped a LOT of goals in the last 10 games. Competition for places is always good.

Not sure we can place Boruc as the reason for the ridiculous amount of goals we've shipped of late... I don't recall him being specifically at fault for any... I could be wrong tho as I have not attended 'every' game...

Boruc has certainly being great for us, but Begovic would be an awesome singing... Big, commanding, oodles of PL experience, prime of his GK career, and as Garbs mentioned, would be great at organising our sometimes shambolic defence...

I don't think Boruc is that vocal on the pitch either...

I think there's been several Boruc might have done better with (Hull for starters), but none I can remember that you could specifically blame Boruc for. That said keeper is a position we need to be thinking long term about, if we're not confident in Federici. And I think it's fair enough to say our defensive area needs a couple fresh faces.

If Boruc is out of contract in the summer and has indicated a desire to move on and/or retire then it makes a lot of sense to sign a player like Begovic if he's available now. Especially as come summer a lot more clubs would like be happy to spend on a keeper. Right now, many of our main rivals for him will be focusing on other positions.

Plus, if the UEL numbers are correct, then it still leaves a lion-share of the January budget left for anyone else we can identify.

Sometimes you just can't sign players in the order of priority that you would rank. This isn't Champman.

A central defender is probably the clear priority, but that doesn't mean you turn down the chance to strengthen another area if the opportunity arises.

Neither does it mean we're not looking for defenders just because we sign a goalkeeper (if we do).

It's harsh on Boruc, there are a few things "wrong" with the line up currently, but he isn't one of them. But as said, we cannot rely on Federici and there is no point signing another back up 'keeper when Boruc is edging towards the tail end of his career.

Boruc was pushed into his top performances when he was dropped a while back... Having Begovic and him fighting for the No.1 shirt will only be a good thing... If of course it comes off...

northstandmark - 20/1/2017 07:42

AFCBade - 20/1/2017 00:46

I don't think anyone is being entirely serious about that, I wasn't at least.

Don't worry, wasn't talking about your comment but on other sites some comments are more pointed.

;