Asmir Begovic

First sentence "That’s one of the reasons I love football" says the guy that openly hates football.

Hopefully the goal keeping positions are covered next season with Rambo, Travers and Artur. Perhaps he'll be released from his contract?

.. and he will also have a relegation clause so his wages will drop as well... We would do well to get rid this summer if possible, and if necessary, throw what we spend on Begovic at Ramsdale...

.. and he will also have a relegation clause so his wages will drop as well... We would do well to get rid this summer if possible, and if necessary, throw what we spend on Begovic at Ramsdale...
The Priority for all money recouped should first go to paying the outstanding transfer payments we have to make, and to put the club on a stable footing. Then we can worry about the playing squad

... I agree, but we also have to have one eye on keeping players that could see us stabilise as a Championship club... IMO we should look to keep hold of Ramsdale if we go down...

No point in focusing solely on putting the club on a stable footing then see us drop through to Lg1. If Ramsdale goes as well, who have we got...? Boruc is about 40, Travers is too inexperienced...??? We'd then need another unknown keeper to come in probably...

Pray to God we can offload this guy. Callum being linked to Newcastle for 20m too, yes please!!
What ever happens to this club in the future, I don't think we can keep both Callum and Eddie, so yes pray to god this happens! I'd just be happy to see him off our wage bill, I would be very surprised if they will pay anything like 20m.

If Begovic is so crap why did we sign him...and why did Milan take him!
I just don't get it...Beggars belief tbh!

I can't see anyone coming in for Wilson.
He basically just runs up and down staying clear of injury.....takes the dosh for that...

...always looks happy...not good.

Best hope;
Coventry for 300 k...and thanks for his goals back when he was ' at the ball'.

Last edited:
The Priority for all money recouped should first go to paying the outstanding transfer payments we have to make, and to put the club on a stable footing. Then we can worry about the playing squad
This won’t be a priority. As long as the cash is there to cover the outstanding payments when due that’s what we will do. There is no incentive to pay transfer fees early unless a cash discount is on offer.

Don’t forget for the players we sell this summer, the income will be received over the next 3 years or so too. The key will be to ensure these are structured to cover what we need to pay out.

Everything pointed towards him being a good signing. He was the right age to be our long term goalkeeper. Solid experience and reliable.. and he was for a year.

But then his performances began to drop off and like a few from this season, they in my opinion, appear to lack the desire to really fight for their form and fitness once they are on comfortable contracts that set them up for life.

There’s just no professional pride, no fire in the belly, no ambition.

That all comes from a comfortable contract and no “next level” to aspire towards and that happens if a player believes he can’t achieve anything else at the club he’s at and isn’t able to fight for a move elsewhere. Or doesn’t have the inclination to and is happy in the comfort zone.

Begovic was just the first of many to fall into this hole which we found ourselves in.

Everything pointed towards him being a good signing. He was the right age to be our long term goalkeeper. Solid experience and reliable.. and he was for a year.

But then his performances began to drop off and like a few from this season, they in my opinion, appear to lack the desire to really fight for their form and fitness once they are on comfortable contracts that set them up for life.

There’s just no professional pride, no fire in the belly, no ambition.

That all comes from a comfortable contract and no “next level” to aspire towards and that happens if a player believes he can’t achieve anything else at the club he’s at and isn’t able to fight for a move elsewhere. Or doesn’t have the inclination to and is happy in the comfort zone.

Begovic was just the first of many to fall into this hole which we found ourselves in.

As DJ says, looked a good deal as he looked very commanding when he first signed and most fans felt boruc (who has been outstanding for us) was at the end/nearing the end. However, he became so sloppy and was leading the goals from errors chart for keepers.

I can't see anyone coming in for Wilson.
He basically just runs up and down staying clear of injury.....takes the dosh for that...

...always looks happy...not good.

Best hope;
Coventry for 300 k...and thanks for his goals back when he was ' at the ball'.
It’s not that Begovic is crap, be the same thing that fell out with Eddie

not sure what happened to him, went from pretty reliable to very average within a couple of months
appeared to lose all confidence, often rooted to his line with arms flapping like a distressed swan

Sorry to burst your Eddie bubble but he was pretty poor.

And then ridiculously got a undeserved second chance.
Artur Boruc had been goalkeeper of the month and was dropped to give Begovic another go. Not exactly the move of a manager who had fallen out with him, more one desperate for him to rediscover his form...

;