Asmir Begovic

People have a very limited grasp on the reality of being in the football league if they think that we can keep a player who is reported to be on 60k per week in the championship. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had to offload Lerma also to avoid failing FFP. Report the other day was that Valencia were interested in a loan but could not afford to pay his wages in full, one of the top sides in Spain cannot afford to match the wages of our CM. The money at the top level of English football is beyond absurd. If you’re wondering where the £600m+ went well that’s it, it went on paying these obscene salaries to remain competitive at the top level. People seem to think that all that money coming in must mean that the club should be financially secure and set for years to come, the reality is that all it does is massively drive up the operating costs. I have no doubt in my mind, the journey is without doubt better than the destination.

People have a very limited grasp on the reality of being in the football league if they think that we can keep a player who is reported to be on 60k per week in the championship. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had to offload Lerma also to avoid failing FFP. Report the other day was that Valencia were interested in a loan but could not afford to pay his wages in full, one of the top sides in Spain cannot afford to match the wages of our CM. The money at the top level of English football is beyond absurd. If you’re wondering where the £600m+ went well that’s it, it went on paying these obscene salaries to remain competitive at the top level. People seem to think that all that money coming in must mean that the club should be financially secure and set for years to come, the reality is that all it does is massively drive up the operating costs. I have no doubt in my mind, the journey is without doubt better than the destination.
Who are these ‘people’ you speak of?
Can you name them please.

All that talk about Parker coming here being a sign of ambition and now we're scratching around for loans and moaning about the amount of money we have to pay a keeper that was outstanding last season.... our three best players from last season Danjuma....Stan and Bego all going and being replaced by a couple of loanees and a free signing...... exciting times ahead!........the attempted signing of Woodman was particularly worrying....such a lazy bit of scouting.
Why not actually spend a bit of money and have a crack at buying someone of similar quality to Bego like Bialkowski at Millwall.

Who are these ‘people’ you speak of?
Can you name them please.
If you take the time to read the posts preceding mine, then you will see that there is more than one poster who suggests that we should be keeping Asmir. It’s not too hard to grasp really. It’s actually quite typical to a discussion, responding to a point that somebody else has made. Next time I’ll make sure I directly quote their posts in my response so you don’t get confused.

All that talk about Parker coming here being a sign of ambition and now we're scratching around for loans and moaning about the amount of money we have to pay a keeper that was outstanding last season.... our three best players from last season Danjuma....Stan and Bego all going and being replaced by a couple of loanees and a free signing...... exciting times ahead!........the attempted signing of Woodman was particularly worrying....such a lazy bit of scouting.
Why not actually spend a bit of money and have a crack at buying someone of similar quality to Bego like Bialkowski at Millwall.

sounds like you think the window has closed, it’s 16th July ffs

If Begovic is on 60k per week as reported then nobody in this league can afford to pay that, it’s not related to ambition it’s just common sense. Unfortunately as it currently stands our operating costs are still substantially higher than our projected income. Without a cash injection (either from Max or player sales) there is not enough money/cash available to even run and sustain the club, we’re not currently in a position where we can go throwing cash on transfer fees (at least until we make some sales) because we do not even have enough to sustain what we currently have.

If Begovic is on 60k per week as reported then nobody in this league can afford to pay that, it’s not related to ambition it’s just common sense. Unfortunately as it currently stands our operating costs are still substantially higher than our projected income. Without a cash injection (either from Max or player sales) there is not enough money/cash available to even run and sustain the club, we’re not currently in a position where we can go throwing cash on transfer fees (at least until we make some sales) because we do not even have enough to sustain what we currently have.
You mean a cash injection like a 35m parachute payment perhaps?

If you take the time to read the posts preceding mine, then you will see that there is more than one poster who suggests that we should be keeping Asmir. It’s not too hard to grasp really. It’s actually quite typical to a discussion, responding to a point that somebody else has made. Next time I’ll make sure I directly quote their posts in my response so you don’t get confused.
Thankypu. I can’t help it that I’m thick.

I don't understand this 60k a week in the championship.
I'd always understood that players contracts had a clause which meant an increase in salary if promotion was gained and an ad hoc decrease in salary if relegated.
So if Begs is on 60k now, what was he being paid when in the PL.

Well I doubt Parker would have left Fulham if the attention was to sell everyone and not be backed in the market.

"As previously mentioned, the average Championship wage in 2019/20 is £29,000 per week. The football world now revolves around financial stability and that figure is likely to increase in the coming years.

The highest earning Championship player is reportedly earning £68,000 a week. This information comes from an 80-page EFL report that did not name the player in question but specified that the Championship's top earner plays for a southern club."

https://www.888sport.com/blog/footb... footballer in question earned £68,000 a week.

"As previously mentioned, the average Championship wage in 2019/20 is £29,000 per week. The football world now revolves around financial stability and that figure is likely to increase in the coming years.

The highest earning Championship player is reportedly earning £68,000 a week. This information comes from an 80-page EFL report that did not name the player in question but specified that the Championship's top earner plays for a southern club."

https://www.888sport.com/blog/football/championship/how-much-do-championship-football-players-get-paid#:~:text=During the 2018-2019 season, the Championship football player,the footballer in question earned £68,000 a week.

Sportrac had him down as £70k following relegation, so that all looks very close and plausible.

https://www.888sport.com/blog/football/championship/how-much-do-championship-football-players-get-paid#:~:text=During the 2018-2019 season, the Championship football player,the footballer in question earned £68,000 a week.

I don’t like the thought of us losing Bego, someone already said he was the best Championship keeper last season but, in the end, we have to trust our management to do the right thing for our club moving forward. Scott Parker would not have come here to oversee a firesale of our best players with nobody coming in, would he? We want promotion, he wants promotion.
I have to say, we need to bring some quality players in if we are to challenge.

I find it very hard/almost impossible to believe that the average wage in this league is 29k per week, it won’t be anywhere near that figure

I don't understand this 60k a week in the championship.
I'd always understood that players contracts had a clause which meant an increase in salary if promotion was gained and an ad hoc decrease in salary if relegated.
So if Begs is on 60k now, what was he being paid when in the PL.
85k was often bandied about on here.

;