Asmir Begovic

Can’t see us offloading this waste of space until his contract expires or we loan again paying a large % of the wage...

yeah, thats the gamble we took with some signings. offer them very good wages and long contacts to entice them to join, then if they flop like Begovic, Defoe, Ibe etc, you're lumbered with them and most of their wages for the rest of their contract.

If he was the reason we also got Ake then it was worth it. We owe him another 3.5m in wages for his final season. Hopefully we can recoup some of it by loaning him out again, or palm him off on a free. Eitherway I don't particularly want to see him start over Travers next season.

That’s the problem with a recruitment over paying and getting stuck and can’t move them on, got rid of a couple this season hope he has a release clause in his contract, maybe villa may take him

If he was the reason we also got Ake then it was worth it. We owe him another 3.5m in wages for his final season. Hopefully we can recoup some of it by loaning him out again, or palm him off on a free. Eitherway I don't particularly want to see him start over Travers next season.
I don't know anyone who does.But if Eddie's still here might try him again and perish the thought that we have a new man in charge, he might change the way we play completely and prefer Begovic. :confused:

We dont know that one of the problems for begovic was being coached by someone who never played higher than second division football

We dont know that one of the problems for begovic was being coached by someone who never played higher than second division football

I must have imagined Neil Moss making top flight appearances with Southampton then.

Edit - realised you may have meant Eddie Howe, but even then, don’t see many players having the same issue with Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho

Big expectation of Travers based on 2 first team games? The Championship is fast and furious with a fair amount of Burnleyesque bombardment ( eg Cardiff yesterday). Going to need to be fully prepared for that.

It’s easy to say Begovic was bad recruitment in hindsight.

When we signed him, he was a proven PL keeper and at age 29 should be just approaching his peak. I don’t think anyone could have thought he’d be as hopeless as he was. At the time a 4 year deal seemed a coup for us

I must have imagined Neil Moss making top flight appearances with Southampton then.

Edit - realised you may have meant Eddie Howe, but even then, don’t see many players having the same issue with Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho
Did he sorry if I missed that

Think

think the problem is some billy big ******************************** we have signed don’t like being told what to do by coaches that they see as below them

It’s easy to say Begovic was bad recruitment in hindsight.

When we signed him, he was a proven PL keeper and at age 29 should be just approaching his peak. I don’t think anyone could have thought he’d be as hopeless as he was. At the time a 4 year deal seemed a coup for us

Exactly, few if any on here complained at the time, and he was good at the start as well. Just seemed to all of a sudden get completely sh1t

Think

think the problem is some billy big ******************************** we have signed don’t like being told what to do by coaches that they see as below them
If that was the case why would they have signed for us?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not convinced by the makeup of our coaching setup, but lots top coaches had very little playing career to speak of

Think

Whether he sees something below him or above him the end result is much the same.

Slightest knock to his confidence and he turns into a jigsaw puzzle. It happened when he was here on loan years ago. He was a shambles.
I think you’re right. He was great at the beginning and did look to be a great signing but then something happened and he totally lost it and never recovered. A very curious case, our Mr. Begovic !

One of which he conceded five.
I do think the 5 goals he let in at Palace is made too much of in the same way the clean sheet v Spurs.
The goals he let in were all tap ins or one on ones

But it’s right there is expectation on him because he is a full Irish international and was given a good contract here. If we didn’t expect him to perform, neither would have happened

;