Aston Villa v AFC Bournemouth

Well ground out in the end and I thought we were ok defensively. Lacking something going forward with Fraser particularly poor.

Lerma and Smith excellent.

Fraser should have wrapped up the points - just like last week when he had a great chance with that free kick.

Great result. First 15 minutes and last 15 minutes I thought we were excellent (though in very different ways). I feel we got away with it today but I think that’s the difference between 5 years in the premier league and being newly promoted. Unless villa gel quickly as a team I feel they will struggle.

Great result. Not sure what to say about our attack; just seems a bit off atm, could definitely have had more goals.
I thought they were a handful tbh....Callums hold up play was much improved....looks like something he's been working on......Josh looked more like his old self too....yes we should have scored more but at least we created a few clear cut chances.

Happy minibus this evening, left the car park 35 mins ago, about 200 yards from Villa Park. Thought it was a good team performance today, having a goalkeeper doesn't make a difference : )
We're on a roll, another 200 yards completed. Got to say well done to our fans heard you all loud and clear over our side : )

Agree, Ramsdale has been magnificent so far, yes the kicking from the hand is sometimes awry, but when he does get it down the middle it's a real weapon. Great seeing his punches actually clearing the box as opposed to Begovic who would too often palm it down within the six yard box and hope Cook or Ake win the second ball. He had over 50 touches today, seeing the defenders so happy to use him in their passing triangles shows yo that they are confident in him, so his youth isn;t standing in his way at all

When the fixtures list came out, couldn't help but hope for 6 points, but will happily take 4. Probably would have expected the results to come in other order (win over SU, draw today), but it's still a nice start. So much to look forward to, because we have plenty of room for improvement, especially up front where we really could have knocked in five. H. Wilson will give EH some selection options. Decision to replace Billing spot on .... I actually thought it could happen before the half. Some "interesting" teams sitting on zero points.

I'm really keen to see how we line up in the Carabao Cup.

The three points most important thing...free hit next week just hoping that the team can gel better over the coming weeks!

..and Billing can channel his aggression with more control otherwise he will let us down

From Villa reporter on the game.

Errors get punished and Aston Villa's defeat at home to Bournemouth was another case of Welcome to the Premier League - and boy have they got to learn quick.

It was the worst-possible start on a day which was a real carnival atmosphere as Premier League football returned to Villa Park for the first time in 1,197 days.

The crowd performed wonders before kick-off, it was spine-tingling stuff as the claret and blue fan base packed into the famous old stadium and gave as good as they got. It was deafening at times and the atmosphere was electrifying.

But it was a disastrous 12-minute spell which ultimately cost Dean Smith's men as Joshua King and then Harry Wilson punished Villa before a brilliant Douglas Luiz goal attempted to drag Villa back into it. Here's what Our Man at Villa learned from a tough, tough defeat.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...ws/harsh-lessons-bizarre-debuts-what-16773396

The three points most important thing...free hit next week just hoping that the team can gel better over the coming weeks!

..and Billing can channel his aggression with more control otherwise he will let us down
Garbo...I think its easy to apply the ' free hit ' thing..ive done it before myself but if you times that by the 12 games v top six...thats 36 points down the swannee... I think we should see the home games v City et al ..as points acheivable albeit by fluke or hard won. Even 12 draws if we played for them is healthy.
Ive grown to thinking of the ' free hit' as the ultimate in the ' tinpot' vein ...although I do understand how its evolved...
but our results v Chelsea....and a couple of others show that we are a team to 'expect' say, 9 to 18 points a season from these games !

Last edited:
Garbo...I think its easy to apply the ' free hit ' thing..ive done it before myself but if you times that by the 12 games v top six...thats 36 points down the swannee... I think we should see the home games v City et al ..as points acheivable albeit by fluke or hard won. Even 12 draws if we played for them is healthy.
Ive grown to thinking of the ' free hit' as the ultimate in the ' tinpot' vein ...although I do understand how its evolved...
but our results v Chelsea....and a couple of others show that we are a team to 'expect' say, 9 to 18 points a season from these games !
Well I think Citeh’s defence looked ordinary yesterday so that is a chink in their very strong armour .
Now we just have to try and get the ball off them next week :eek!:
Did you see De Bruyne’s performance yesterday?
Blimey that was good !
UTCIAD.

...thing is Manchester City seem to like our patient build up style and from all the matches that I have seen us play against them, we have never looked at the races. They are the only PL team that I would confidently say we will lose to...having seen them tear apart a strong Spurs side in their last match I really do fear for our back four as the City forwards were always a yard ahead of them in their thinking and actions...it will be a great test for us of course, I do hope that Billing keeps his cool and that him and Lerma can snuff out De Bruyne and Rodrigo...the trouble is can our defence contain Sterling who is looking so world class atm..

So, the commentators on the TV, Crocker and Goodman, seemed to be more interested in Villa than our lot. Is this par for the course?

So, the commentators on the TV, Crocker and Goodman, seemed to be more interested in Villa than our lot. Is this par for the course?

Not a real surprise, we’re not news any more. Villa were hosting their first VP prem game, and Goodman is from the area, so it’s pretty natural that’s where their emphasis would be

;