At what point do we stop selling...

SteveJonesLegend

Fans' Favourite
So with Ake (£41m) already gone we are now in the dangerous position of seeing a lot of media talk around several other big names, some of which were expected, others, we should be looking to keep hold of if we're serious about the club's future...

For me, Ake was a given regardless of what league we were in, as was probably King and Wilson. Newcastle now showing interest in both, but realistically just Wilson... With these three players we could bring circa £100m into the club (King £20-£35m and Wilson (£15-£25m)... So is that enough to see us through...? Surely...!

So now with Brooks' rumour of a huge £35m to Liverpool and Ramsdale a possible target still for Sheff Utd (pending a £20+m offer), where does the club stop...When do we begin to say 'not for sale'...?

Would you take £150m and lose Ake, King, Wilson, Brooks and Ramsdale...?

IMO, given we're also not sure on Lerma being here, there is possibly going to be no nucleus left, no core of the team left, a huge rebuild job to be done in a record short time...

I guess it depends on Max's priority here. If he wants to sell the club he needs us realistically back in the PL and that is gonna be a huge job if we lose that list of players... Does he just wants to coin in on the current lot and still hope to sell up asap (which doesn't make sense really as he'll more than likely have to wait a couple of years to get all this money in)? Or is this now a stabilisation and slowly rebuild the club from ground up process... Is that the 'new direction'... Doesn't really sit with his letter of intent to getting us back to the PL asap.

It's great to see some money coming into the club (potentially) but slightly worrying also to see so many big names being lined up to leave (potentially)...

It's great to see some money coming into the club (potentially) but slightly worrying also to see so many big names being lined up to leave (potentially)...
Every transfer window in the past few seasons the press have been telling us which players we are likely to lose only for us to keep everyone we wanted to keep, so I'm paying it no attention. They are all just speculating and have column inches to fill.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see just Ake, King and Wilson gone, when the dust has settled.

Obviously with this window ending well after the season has begun, a lightning start for somebody might upset the applecart but I am fairly confident that Max realises that he has to give Jason the tools to do the job.

I really don't see a "fire sale" coming. The three I mentioned and maybe somebody else if a really interesting offer were to come in which we would be crazy to refuse ( but then I'd like to see some of those additional funds being cast iron ring fenced for the new training complex - stage one of our infrastructure for a PL future !!! ) .

Think it's pretty likely we'll lose King and Wilson (like you said, King would have likely left anyway, especially with only a year left on his contract, maybe not Wilson, but I'm fairly confident Surridge can step up).

I'd say it's pretty vital that we keep Ramsdale and Brooks though, should we want to challenge at the top end. Beyond their playing ability, keeping them is a statement of intent that gives us a good as possible shot of attracting other new signings. The more we lose, the less enticing a prospect we are.

Losing those above were expected, apart from Ramsdale but probably adding Lerma in too. I would take £150m for those easily.

We've been in trouble for sometime and those names were known ages ago as targets so as a club that is organised on the transfer front we'll have no issue moving quickly on suitable targets we've already identified ourselves....

I actually want(ed) us to sell Aké, Wilson and King. It’s just not realistic to keep internationals in the Championship so let’s try to get as much cash as possible.

Smith, Lerma, Billing, Rico and Danjuma wouldn’t be players I’d actively look to move on, but if we received bids above a fair market value, I believe we could cope without them.

I’d do everything I possibly could to discourage interest in Ramsdale, L. Cook and Brooks. I think all 3 could be vital for a successful season. Not only that, a strong injury free season will see their value shoot up, especially L. Cook.

When we’ve sold Solanke...

I think going down could work in Solanke's favour. I think he'll do well at Champ level, bolstering his confidence and self belief, consistently playing and hopefully scoring.

My concern is if we sell loads of players, how much appeal to do we hold to potential targets? headed up by someone who has next to zero reputation at any level in football could mean we have issues recruiting any real quality.

Will be interesting to see who we do attract, particularly if we have a poor start.

Howe built a great image/brand for himself and the club in the lower leagues. Tindall really has to hit the ground running.

Last edited:
I agree that he could flourish in a lower division but forwards are still generally only as good as those creating the chances for him... Brooks could be perfect in that 'hole'... threading the passes...

...tbh Callum Wilson, Josh King, David Brooks and Jefferson Lerma would probably want to move to a higher league to keep their International hopes alive?...can see that others like Ramsdale, Kelly and Mepham may fancy themselves to move on if anyone comes sniffing for them?
I would be surprised if Diego Rico stays too...but it is in the lap of the gods I suppose?

There is no doubt that some PL clubs will be looking to pick up some of our guys on the 'cheap' given our relegation so it will be interesting to see how Max and his board cope with trying to back up the words of wanting to get back up next season with actions!

I actually want(ed) us to sell Aké, Wilson and King. It’s just not realistic to keep internationals in the Championship so let’s try to get as much cash as possible.

Smith, Lerma, Billing, Rico and Danjuma wouldn’t be players I’d actively look to move on, but if we received bids above a fair market value, I believe we could cope without them.

I’d do everything I possibly could to discourage interest in Ramsdale, L. Cook and Brooks. I think all 3 could be vital for a successful season. Not only that, a strong injury free season will see their value shoot up, especially L. Cook.
My sentiments exactly TC !

L.Cook will be on a downer...because he will regret leaving Leeds....and they won't be interested now.
I can't see what he does in a game. ..the ball seems to go through him going nowhere and returns past him going somewhere for the opposition...I don't think I've ever seen one like him....and I don't think Lerma is much better...get rid of both.

Would you take £150m and lose Ake, King, Wilson, Brooks and Ramsdale...?

Yes and I'd consider offloading Lerma too if the wages didn't stack up. If the players are an investment and we're getting good offers to cash in then we need to take every opportunity we can. Let's turn our time at the top table into something that helps the club survive and grow.

Brooks was a £12M 21-year prospect. He's now got 2 years EPL experience with £35M being bandied about. A bad season the Championship and it'll all be forgotten. If the price is right every player is for sale.

I just hope the sales don’t drag on throughout the transfer window making it harder to replace players and to plan for next season. It’s probably unworkable but I’d be minded to say to bidding clubs and players that if the deal isn’t done by x date, it’s not happening.

Losing both prem status and Eddie is a watershed moment for a lot of players as these were the two main reasons for signing for us. I would sell ALL those unhappy at fighting fir us in the championship IF we get good money and rebuild on the pitch and fund the training ground. Had enough players not giving enough effort last season so don’t want a repeat of that this season

L.Cook will be on a downer...because he will regret leaving Leeds....and they won't be interested now.
I can't see what he does in a game. ..the ball seems to go through him going nowhere and returns past him going somewhere for the opposition...I don't think I've ever seen one like him....and I don't think Lerma is much better...get rid of both.

Or he’ll be fired up to prove that he belongs in a higher league? Same with Lerma.

Don’t think a 2-man centre midfield helped either of them to be fair. Depending on our formation next year it’ll be interesting to see how they get on (should they both be here).

All these players that clubs are after and only Ake sold. One club put in a bid for Ramsdale and nothing else. I know we may sell a few but you'd think the big clubs wouldn't be hanging around.

;