Average position of clubs relegated to the Championship

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Kris Temple mentioned this in his commentary yesterday so I looked it up:

Relegated Clubs (since 2000/01)

- Average finishing position of a relegated club – 9th.

- Relegated clubs have won the Championship in 5/20 seasons (25%).

- 15/60 (25%) clubs have won promotion straight back to the Premier League with 27 (45%) finishing in the top-six, 44 (73%) in the top-half. Meanwhile, 16 (27%) finished in the bottom-half whilst 2 (3%) suffered back-to-back relegation.

That 9th is a pretty hard stat to process when we generally consider us, Norwich and Watford as being in with a good chance of going straight back up. Ok, there have been some basket case clubs that plummeted straight through to League 1 but even allowing for them, 9th would indicate at least one of the clubs screws up badly most seasons.

- 15/60 (25%) clubs have won promotion straight back to the Premier League with 27 (45%) finishing in the top-six, 44 (73%) in the top-half. Meanwhile, 16 (27%) finished in the bottom-half whilst 2 (3%) suffered back-to-back relegation.

That 9th is a pretty hard stat to process when we generally consider us, Norwich and Watford as being in with a good chance of going straight back up. Ok, there have been some basket case clubs that plummeted straight through to League 1 but even allowing for them, 9th would indicate at least one of the clubs screws up badly most seasons.
That'll suit me fine

But do they all have the best squads in the league ;)
That is the key point... most lose anyone decent. Newcastle have walked the league the twice they kept a PL squad. We also came down with a team too good on paper to go down. That puts us in a better position than the Sunderland’s and Blackpool’s of the world.

Clubs can go one of two ways: they can retain the squad and perhaps even add more to it than they went down with, and they go straight to challenging. Or they get picked apart by vultures and/or financially implode, and drop like a stone. Perhaps that produces this mid-table average?

As it happens so far, we've done neither! Lost several of our better players but also retained a fair bit of talent, been financially tight and not yet spent a penny adding any.

I dont know about you chaps, but I still can't process where we should / will be in this league yet, I'm too out of touch with the division. Norwich surprised me with how lackluster they looked yesterday. A few more games into the season and hopefully I'll be better informed.

From those stats it looks like the basket cases skew the average position downwards and that as long as you're not dreadful you can expect to be challenging at least the playoff spots.

Early indications would suggest we're not a basket case. Team spirit looks good which was a worry given how poor it was last season. They'll need to show that they can bounce back from poor results at some point, Howe was a master at motivating them under tough circumstances (until last year) Tindall will need to show he's capable too.

I'd imagine that all the teams that struggled after being relegated started off their Championship campaign poorly and never really got a foothold in a league that's completely different to what they are used to......the ones that went straight back up started well and quickly got into the Championship rhythm......thats why i think most of us realise that these first 3 games were absolutely crucial and that results were all that mattered.....we can work on style going forward.

I'd imagine that all the teams that struggled after being relegated started off their Championship campaign poorly and never really got a foothold in a league that's completely different to what they are used to......the ones that went straight back up started well and quickly got into the Championship rhythm......thats why i think most of us realise that these first 3 games were absolutely crucial and that results were all that mattered.....we can work on style going forward.
Yes and bearing in mind that Norwich have recent experience of exactly this transition, the fact that we dealt with them yesterday was a very good sign that we have adapted pretty well already !

;