Barnsley - The verdict.

We win with perhaps the most convincing performance you could imagine at this level, and you choose to write 2 very long paragraphs detailing everything that the coaching staff are doing ‘wrong?’

I know! He keep doing whatever he wants if continue to produce performances like that!

Bearing in mind Parker has been a captain for top clubs, along with England and managed for over 2 years too. Hardly his first step into management.

Thoroughly enjoyable game but was sat somewhere different today so made some of different observations, mainly about the coaching team.

On the pitch, the real difference was Cahill. Yes Zemura is a real threat and probably deserved his MoM but Cahill looked capable of playing any pass when the ball was at his feet, which pretty much destroyed their press ( a real contrast to Kelly who needs to use his right foot if he will reach his true potential).

Lots of hometown bias against the Ref. Billing yellow was a definite and needless one. It's a yellow because he leaves the ground and goes airborne which makes a certain yellow regardless of winning the ball when the contact occurs. The players are too strong and fast to allow that sort of challenge. But Phil didn't need to make the challenge when others were already tracking. Kelly's yellow, again, this time so high and dangerous that I suspect the card can be given despite no contact looking to be made, the sheer need for opponent to avoid that and the need to deter those challenges makes it yellow, with a certain red if he catches him.

My final observations were on the dugout. It looked more like a group of U12 coaches at time. We have a team that includes internationals but there seems a reluctance to let the team use their brains to play, with so much puppetry from the sidelines, continual instructions. Even when you do your initial coaching badge you're taught to keep the instructions to a minimum and always off the ball, yet even 3 nil up and minutes to play we are still not trusting the players on an attacking corner so much that the coaches are still shouting at Pearson. Ironically the team looks well set up and balanced so there is a need to let them get on with it. Certainly shouting across the whole field so their opponents can hear that he wants the long ball to Christie because he's unmarked seems very naive. Save that for the debrief and training.

And finally Parker, who I am admittedly on the fence for. He selected a good team, made good subs, and had the team well prepared. When we scored at times he was like a proud Dad at his kids school play, over enthusiastically clapping at any player who got a good or bad touch in the build up. But i think he summed in one instance why I am unsure - 1st half, Dom's chance, he hits the target, decent stop by keeper, we all think it's easier and should be buried, Parker's human so thinks same. So far okay, but Parker turns to face the crowd and passed a comment to the front row where spectators are sat, I don't expect him to betray Dom by saying very clearly "He's got to score that". I don't want to get down on him, but he's as inexperienced as some of the squad. So as the players continue to learn, I think he also has a lot to learn, but if he can, there is every chance he will take us up and could keep us up.

Good performance, good result, good reasons to believe there is more to come.

Did anyone here question the Billing card? If so I haven't seen it. The challenge was a metaphorical orange. Another ref might have gone straight red.

A bit perplexed by the reasoning over Kelly. 'If he had made contact it would have been a red'. The guy was writhing around like his leg had been hacked off. If no contact was made then what was all that about? I think the ref didn't know so reacted to the players play-acting. Now, we have Adam Smith so live by the sword, die by the sword but it was a poor piece of officiating.

My thoughts:
-That was pretty much as dominant display as you could expect to see at this level. The way we functioned as a team both with and without the ball was a joy to watch. The moment we surrendered possession we pressed aggressively and in packs, everybody seems to be buying into the project and it’s very pleasing to see. We moved the ball around incredibly crisply and carved out a number of opportunities, it could quite easily have been at least double three. Everybody played well but some honourable mentions:
-Gary Cahill: absolutely oozed class. Read the game so well and was constantly barking orders at his team mates and helping them through the game. A clear upgrade on Cook.
-Zemura: best attacking full back performance since Franno in 14/15. It was ridiculous just how good he was today. He has it all for a modern day full back. NEEDS a new contract now. So silky on the ball, he is also pretty good defensively.
-Lerma: that is the Jeff I wanted to see last season. I was very critical of his performances last year but today he was immense, box to box it was like having a number six and s number eight in one, literally played 2 roles. The amount of times he won the ball back today was very impressive.
-Pearson- very very classy. Offered a superb shield to the back four, some of his passing was also very impressive.

see first half we had the better chances but I thought we were a little bit safe .
However this continuous probing allowed the second half to open up and we basically tore them to pieces.

to replace the front 3 with 3 players of similar quality.
I thought Billing was excellent yesterday. The running into the channels stretched Barnsley and some of the football was majestic .
The team oozed class .

Only seen the highlights on Sky but some of that passing/ interplay was up with the title- winning team's.
If we can play like that regularly, we are going to be a very good side to watch

Thoroughly enjoyable game but was sat somewhere different today so made some of different observations, mainly about the coaching team.

On the pitch, the real difference was Cahill. Yes Zemura is a real threat and probably deserved his MoM but Cahill looked capable of playing any pass when the ball was at his feet, which pretty much destroyed their press ( a real contrast to Kelly who needs to use his right foot if he will reach his true potential).

Lots of hometown bias against the Ref. Billing yellow was a definite and needless one. It's a yellow because he leaves the ground and goes airborne which makes a certain yellow regardless of winning the ball when the contact occurs. The players are too strong and fast to allow that sort of challenge. But Phil didn't need to make the challenge when others were already tracking. Kelly's yellow, again, this time so high and dangerous that I suspect the card can be given despite no contact looking to be made, the sheer need for opponent to avoid that and the need to deter those challenges makes it yellow, with a certain red if he catches him.

My final observations were on the dugout. It looked more like a group of U12 coaches at time. We have a team that includes internationals but there seems a reluctance to let the team use their brains to play, with so much puppetry from the sidelines, continual instructions. Even when you do your initial coaching badge you're taught to keep the instructions to a minimum and always off the ball, yet even 3 nil up and minutes to play we are still not trusting the players on an attacking corner so much that the coaches are still shouting at Pearson. Ironically the team looks well set up and balanced so there is a need to let them get on with it. Certainly shouting across the whole field so their opponents can hear that he wants the long ball to Christie because he's unmarked seems very naive. Save that for the debrief and training.

And finally Parker, who I am admittedly on the fence for. He selected a good team, made good subs, and had the team well prepared. When we scored at times he was like a proud Dad at his kids school play, over enthusiastically clapping at any player who got a good or bad touch in the build up. But i think he summed in one instance why I am unsure - 1st half, Dom's chance, he hits the target, decent stop by keeper, we all think it's easier and should be buried, Parker's human so thinks same. So far okay, but Parker turns to face the crowd and passed a comment to the front row where spectators are sat, I don't expect him to betray Dom by saying very clearly "He's got to score that". I don't want to get down on him, but he's as inexperienced as some of the squad. So as the players continue to learn, I think he also has a lot to learn, but if he can, there is every chance he will take us up and could keep us up.

Good performance, good result, good reasons to believe there is more to come.

'A group of U12 coaches at times'

Jesus wept, I think I've read it all now.

I must have been at a different game to you then. How many times did our wide players cut inside straight into trouble, how many times did we get caught trying to play out from the back. We could have been punished multiple times but Barnsley couldn’t even control the ball.
Our wide players cutting in was one of the highlights of the game yesterday imo.....one of the tweaks that Parker made yesterday that really transformed our performance level from our previous games this season where our wingers were rigidly stuck to the byline..........we had a shaky first 15 minutes yesterday but other than that I couldn't find fault with the performance ..... absolutely fantastic imo.

Did anyone here question the Billing card? If so I haven't seen it. The challenge was a metaphorical orange. Another ref might have gone straight red.

A bit perplexed by the reasoning over Kelly. 'If he had made contact it would have been a red'. The guy was writhing around like his leg had been hacked off. If no contact was made then what was all that about? I think the ref didn't know so reacted to the players play-acting. Now, we have Adam Smith so live by the sword, die by the sword but it was a poor piece of officiating.
I thought Kellys leg was high enough to warrant a booking for dangerous play tbh.....one of those instances where both players should have been booked.

The ref even gave the wrong player the yellow at first.

Tuesday will be really interesting because QPR are off to a decent start and unbeaten, it should be a good test of where we're at. Yesterday was a battering really that could and probably should have been 5 or 6, but is that us being good or Barnsley being bad? Bit of both? Can only beat what's put in front of you. We'll find out more midweek.

;