Asmir Begovic

Not an excuse for Begovic, but if I’m not mistaken aren’t the “ball boys” behind the goals all older kids from the academy and have had a bit of guidance with either being quick or slow depending on the current position in the game?

I doubt it will be a competition winner from the Junior Cherries...

a view from the other side

"I have just emailed Bournemouth. Did anyone else see this incident last night? Apologies if posted elsewhere;

I attended the game last night and have to say I was truly appalled by the behaviour of Asmir Begovic towards the end of the game. Well into added time the ball went out for a goal kick. A Huddersfield player ran to the young ball boy and asked for the ball. The boy gave him the ball and the Huddersfield player ran and put it on the corner of the six yard box. Begovic turned to the young blond lad who looked about 10-11 years old and berated him for giving the ball back. The young lad looked mortified.
At the final whistle Begovic took his gloves off. At this point myself and fellow supporters who had witnessed the incident thought he was going to apologise and hand the lad his gloves, but no! He remonstrated with the young lad again demonstrating that he should have thrown the ball away! Thankfully a supporter came and had a word with the lad but the whole incident must have left a scar on the poor kid. Leaving aside that Begovic was asking the lad to cheat I doubt very much if he will want to be a ball boy again. Again, leaving football aside, for an adult the size of Begovic to berate a young kid as he did was nothing short of intimidating and abusive. I am no advocate of violence but If that had been my son Begovic would have known how I felt even if it meant a lifetime ban.
I would sincerely appreciate someone looking into this and taking appropriate action. Disgraceful from Begovic"

They've a sense of humour too :
Just received a reply from Bournemouth. See below. I have to say that I did not expect one but it has restored my faith in common decency.

Thank you for the e-mail.
**************** off you Northern cretin

This is something that the club are aware of and will be addressing with the First Team Management.
We didn't know about it but Eddie will now be discussing this with the ball boys because returning the ball to the opposition too quickly is unacceptable

I will update you in due course,
You'll never hear from us again or at best you'll get a token email to say it has been dealt with internally

With Kind Regards,
Hope you're relegated

Steve

Begovic should give the kid his gloves and explain that there's something called game-management these days - old name, time-wasting - and it would help if he could roll the ball to the corner flag next time.

must admit I hate time wasting like this and would like to see some way of stamping it out. Similar for time wasting at substitutions. And if Begovic really is guilty of this (i.e. bullying the ball boy) then I think he deserves a proper punishment.

Saw the incident during the game and clearly Begovic was annoyed. At the final whistle he went over to the lad, and looked as if he was just explaining why he reacted earlier, not in a bad way, and the lad seemed ok with it.
I'm sure Asmir will straightened things out.

My son decided not to go to the match yesterday. I'm glad because I wouldn't want him to see a grown man behave like that. Totally out of order and thank you wellsworld for writing to the club. Never mind his gloves - Begovic should apologise to the lad in person and go on an anger management course.

I have to say that there appears to be a rush to judgement by some here. It has become a part of our society, we think we know a piece of a story and then come up with all sorts of conclusions and sanctions. On TV, you could see Asmir speak to the lad, but it didn't look threatening. If it was like Steady Eddie surmises, I don't see a problem. Obviously, some commentary from Asmir as to what went down would help settle the matter.

I have to say that there appears to be a rush to judgement by some here. It has become a part of our society, we think we know a piece of a story and then come up with all sorts of conclusions and sanctions. On TV, you could see Asmir speak to the lad, but it didn't look threatening. If it was like Steady Eddie surmises, I don't see a problem. Obviously, some commentary from Asmir as to what went down would help settle the matter.
I saw it with my own eyes - he lost it completely

I was the other end of the Main Stand and could see it, the gestures were way over the top but if he apologised after then maybe it's alright, it was very tense. If he had another go after the game then it's not ok.

must admit I hate time wasting like this and would like to see some way of stamping it out. Similar for time wasting at substitutions. And if Begovic really is guilty of this (i.e. bullying the ball boy) then I think he deserves a proper punishment.
Wellsworld didn't write to the club....one of the homophobic @rseholes from Huddersfield did.

If an official saw that happen, surely a player can receive a card for something like that?
Or a retrospective punishment from the FA?
If a player berates the ref, he should get a yellow. If he berates a ball boy, should be at least the same thing, right?

If an official saw that happen, surely a player can receive a card for something like that?
Or a retrospective punishment from the FA?
If a player berates the ref, he should get a yellow. If he berates a ball boy, should be at least the same thing, right?

He might have got a yellow for time wasting.

They are that sly with timewasting these days that you never know what is part of the act. Certainly players pretend to have a go at each other over who's taking throw ins just to run the clock down.

Having favourite players and favourite scapegoats is so daft....kidding ourselves with our own vanity of our judgements!
Not directed at anyone in particular....most of us do it each season!

If I was a young ball boy and a player asked for the ball I'd have to be very brave to not give it to him or chuck it away. He'd probably have been in trouble for not handing it over anyway. Bit like towelgate for the Stoke long throws.

When a professional player treats a child like a whipping boy, f**ck that. I'm not scapegoating I just f**cking hate bully's. And I hate cheating just as much. Winning IS NOT everything.

must admit I hate time wasting like this and would like to see some way of stamping it out.
It would be relatively simple to do. For "downtime" associated with injuries, goal celebrations and substitutions, just stop the clock and restart it when play resumes. Easy. For delay of play, such as goalkeepers and throw-ins, adopt basketball's 5 second rule - if the ball is not put in play within 5 seconds, it goes over to the other team. Not rocket science, just needs some balls to change the laws.

BTW - how many of us wish(ed) that we could have wasted an extra minute against ManU ......

Having favourite players and favourite scapegoats is so daft....kidding ourselves with our own vanity of our judgements!
Not directed at anyone in particular....most of us do it each season!
Totally agree with you Bill! The problem is, if you constructively criticise a player one game, then praise him the next, in this day and age you get accused of being a hypocrite.

I have players I rate more than others but I can't be arsed in having favourites. In the Cardiff game, the tw@t sat infant of me had a tantrum after our 2nd goal, as his 2 scapegoats, Franno and Wilson combined for the goal! Just support the team FFS.

;