Asmir Begovic

Good to see Begovic picked out on MOTD as our key man vs Huddersfield. Made some outstanding saves. Must give the defence a lot of confidence to have someone of that quality and experience behind them. Top man.

It would be relatively simple to do. For "downtime" associated with injuries, goal celebrations and substitutions, just stop the clock and restart it when play resumes. Easy. For delay of play, such as goalkeepers and throw-ins, adopt basketball's 5 second rule - if the ball is not put in play within 5 seconds, it goes over to the other team. Not rocket science, just needs some balls to change the laws.

BTW - how many of us wish(ed) that we could have wasted an extra minute against ManU ......

could not agree more
something needs to be done
in some games there's less than a couple of minutes active play in the final 10 minutes, including the so-called added time

What do we reckon ? Some chit chat on the matchday thread but we need a filler or two until Chelsea and I guess @badkeeper will want to rinse the hell out of this ;)

I always think 'dropped' sounds a bit harsh, not sure he has done tons wrong across the season but a good move today. Shows that pretty much no player can just expect to start every game.

Perhaps not the most suitable time to do it (would have expected Boruc to start the final game) but against bigger sides he's handled well... e.g. Chelsea he was brilliant. He probably should have started the game after Chelsea because of how good his performance was

I prefer Boruc purely because he seems to naturally fit to our playstyle and is a better reaction keeper, and most of all he's a lovable rogue.
Whilst Begovic is properly the better keeper for his saving ability and reach, just that he seems to take too long to play the ball. Quite honestly Begovic hasnt shown recently that he's above what Boruc can produce so I dont see the problem with putting him in to give Bego some perspective. That said, we seemed very settled today.

You always have a **************** yourself moment with Boruc, like when he drove the ball straight to their midfield with a miss kick. But in his defense he closed down Carroll, and on replay he did enough to pressure an error.

We allknow what Boruc can offer, one day he is brilliant the next he is awful. He had a couple of howlers today (kicking straight to an attacker and a awful mix up with Cook) we were lucky to get away with both.

Begovic overall standard has dropped this season.

The shots on targets to goals conceded stats is particularly damning.

Last week at Everton was the final straw for me, he just watched everything flash through his box, made no attempts to claim crosses or command his 6 yard box. Other than take goal kicks he did nothing.

Boruc stepped in after 18 months plus of no Premier League starts, his distribution was quick, he punched the ball clear once and made the odd save when called upon.

Looked very much the right decision to me.

Long term it’s a bit of a conundrum though.

Tricky question... did he DESERVE to be dropped. I don't think he has done that much wrong, except perhaps against Everton last week. By the same time, he hasn't produce many game changing saves either. If the question was "was it timely for Eddie to give Boruc a game", even before the match I would have probably said "yes". Hard to provide a balanced answer in view of the result, but sometimes you need to shake things up a bit, and after the run of luck/results we have had, it was probably the right time. Next question .... Has Boruc done enough to get the start against Chelsea?!!

I say yes .20 goals conceded in the last six league games and that awfully damning stat of 6 goals for 7 shots on target I think it is .
Also don’t understand why it should be tougher on a goalkeepers confidence to be dropped than any other regular starter .Dont have a problem with Beko but we won today and kept a clean sheet ....of course we can always bring up the coaching discussion again :throw:

Last edited:
I think the poll result would be slightly different if asked before the game,as a win and clean sheet does add bias in my opinion

Reactions: djh
It was nice to see Artur join the rest of the team in clapping the fans at the end of the game.
So often when he was no.1 he just walked off down the tunnel.

I think he enjoyed himself today.

I wouldn't have dropped him because I don't think he's played all that badly - however the stats don't lie so it's difficult to feel too bad for him. Boruc did quite well and kept a clean sheet so you'd expect him to keep his place.

I think there's value in Eddie showing a ruthless streak too. As he said, hopefully this will send a message to everyone that they can get their chance if they have the right attitude.

Begovic overall standard has dropped this season.

The shots on targets to goals conceded stats is particularly damning.

Last week at Everton was the final straw for me, he just watched everything flash through his box, made no attempts to claim crosses or command his 6 yard box. Other than take goal kicks he did nothing.

Boruc stepped in after 18 months plus of no Premier League starts, his distribution was quick, he punched the ball clear once and made the odd save when called upon.

Looked very much the right decision to me.

Long term it’s a bit of a conundrum though.

Boruc had a quiet day, however he was looking to get attacks going and released the ball much quicker than Begovic. You can’t grumble at a clean sheet though and I fully expect him to keep his place for Chelsea

Reactions: DJ
I'd say yes. Artur did great in the Chelsea match, and Asmir last week was awful. Someone (twitter I think) asked why he didn't go up for the late corner at 1-0. I said that being as he couldn't command his own box I doubted he'd pose much threat in the opposition one. So yeah he was a cause of huge frustration last week, and his main selling point over Boruc was taking crosses and removing threat. He didn't do that, and as Eddie said Artur had been training well and deserved a chance

Was surprised in the change, but don’t think Boruc is any less deserving of starting at the moment.
Really like Boruc, even when he has absolute howlers, he has the decency to make them a completely unbelievable spectacle.

As Eddie said more a reflection of how well Artur has trained and was outstanding at Chelsea so deserves a start

;