Covid & Football

northstand pundit

First Team
Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread but with fixtures postponed rather than behind closed doors the likelihood is that this season will not be completed. The peak period is predicted around May I think so no games will be played then. This may be wishful thinking but the only real possibility is for this season to be scrapped and we stay up for another year. Leeds and West Brom would of course accept this as perfectly fair.

Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread but with fixtures postponed rather than behind closed doors the likelihood is that this season will not be completed. The peak period is predicted around May I think so no games will be played then. This may be wishful thinking but the only real possibility is for this season to be scrapped and we stay up for another year. Leeds and West Brom would of course accept this as perfectly fair.
As people have said elsewhere, there'd be all sorts of litigation if that happened.

The season will surely have to be played out - the question is the timings - could be next month could be next year - no one knows.

My money fwiw is on next season being truncated.

You either play the remaining games (Villa have played a game less than us) and finish the season or you scrap the lot. There is no way they could take the current positions due to the fact mentioned about Villa, the fact some teams will have played more home games, played some teams twice etc etc.

The season will surely have to be played out - the question is the timings - could be next month could be next year - no one knows.

My money fwiw is on next season being truncated.
We discussed this earlier and think the same - with only eight or nine games left see this season out .
Euro 2020 will be put back by either six months or a whole year , which leaves either a truncated 20/21 season as you say or even no league next year ...

As people have said elsewhere, there'd be all sorts of litigation if that happened.

If it goes to litigation then it will probably be us, Villa and Norwich taking on Leeds, WBA, Fulham, Brentford, Forest, Preston.

In group terms of who's got the biggest todger, maybe the Championship just shades it?

Apart from maybe PNE, the media love the other 4 for various reasons, whereas us and Norwich are unfashionable 'little' clubs that don't really deserve to be where they are.

I'd expect a media frenzy to get Liverpool the title and Leeds and West Brom to get promoted.

The other thing to bear in mind is the Qatar World Cup in Nov / Dec 2022. Still a long way off but if seasons are being truncated the new schedule needs to take into account there’s an enforced 2 month break in 2022/23

The other thing to bear in mind is the Qatar World Cup in Nov / Dec 2022. Still a long way off but if seasons are being truncated the new schedule needs to take into account there’s an enforced 2 month break in 2022/23

2022?

Christ on a bike, by then those of us that remain will be living in caves and eating tree bark.

tbh, that sounds better than going to Quatar.

But what about contracts? Fraser will be gone, potentially others. An extra 9 games at the start of next season, there would have to be a break, & transfer window, buys & sells very different if we go down.

You just increase the Prem league by two for one year. Promote Leeds and West Brom. Scrap playoffs as you can’t play them. Same in other leagues and promote two extra non league sides. Then larger relegation zones the year after to get back to status quo.

Remember this thing is predicted to peak beginning of June. That means 10 fixtures to be played each with players out of contract, stadiums to be policed, European games to be fitted in... fa cup quarters, semis and a final .....it’s not going to happen.

...I would only want this season to be played out if it was situation normal and fans could still attend the games (playing in empty stadia is wrong and I don't think would be fair tbh)

Let's be honest Liverpool deserve the title and all teams promoted would deserve it...along with those who were relegated also would deserve that!

You just increase the Prem league by two for one year. Promote Leeds and West Brom. Scrap playoffs as you can’t play them. Same in other leagues and promote two extra non league sides. Then larger relegation zones the year after to get back to status quo.

Remember this thing is predicted to peak beginning of June. That means 10 fixtures to be played each with players out of contract, stadiums to be policed, European games to be fitted in... fa cup quarters, semis and a final .....it’s not going to happen.
Think you are right La Liga have taken the 22 option

;