Bemoaning Bournemouth’s balance

Waz afcb

Fans' Favourite
So, for the first time in a while we enter a game with a sense of optimism following the cup exploits of midweek. Woodgate made four changes to that team, most notably bringing in Long and Wilshere for the impressive midweek performers Billing and Surridge. Hard to criticise him for bringing in Wilshere given his undoubted quality but the decision not to start Surridge must have left a few scratching their heads.

The game started off as a cagey and scrappy affair and in truth never really evolved from this. Both teams looked very solid but not very likely to break the deadlock. That said the early moments did belong to us. A clever short corner routine led to Stanislas bending a peach of an effort just wide of the far post, before a lovely turn in the middle of the park by Wilshere released Danjuma out wide, only for his first time cross to be agonisingly too high for the fully stretched head of Shane Long, who could only direct his header tamely over the bar. Forest had flashes too but these were mainly efforts from distance, most notably one routine effort that Begovic spilled into the path of the forest attacker but thankfully managed to recover just in the nick of time. It was a half in which we enjoyed a lot of what I like to call ‘comfortable’ possession, very easy and slow paced possession in areas of the pitch that is never going to threaten the opposition. Forest to their credit did maintain a rigid shape but I can’t help but feel that we weren’t doing enough to try and break them. On the few occasions that we did manage to work the ball into decent areas it was noticeable how outnumbered we were in the oppositions penalty area. Long was often drifting wide into the channels, which would be fine if we had someone vacating this space which we had left, unfortunately we were playing with two wide attackers who like to drop deep to pick up the ball, and without a midfielder who is comfortable breaking into the penalty area. This meant that for all of our possession, forest were very rarely under any threat. But hey, there’s always the second half!...

Ah the second half. I’m struggling to report on this half without repeating myself tbh. I am genuinely struggling to remember anything happening at all from our perspective. The same problems that plagued us in the first half persisted again, and the game just fizzled out into a compete non event. Woodgate persisted with the completely non effective Long until the 80th minute and by this point it was too late, Surridge did at least look to get into the box when he came on. The only chance of note in this half fell to forest, Glenn Murray flicking a corner on at the near post which was kneed off the line by Ben Pearson via the chest of Begovic, and that was about it really. The fact that the referee only added 2 minutes onto this thrilling encounter says a lot as to how much of a non event this really was.

To summarise, we experienced similar issues to what we have been experiencing all season. A side full of very capable footballers for this level but which badly lacked the correct balance. Never have I seen a truer example of the phrase ‘the best individuals don’t necessarily make the best team’ as I have watching us this season. We have players that could thrive in the right circumstances but the balance of the overall team is just all wrong, as it has been many times this season. A few of the most glaring deficiencies:
-Are Wilshere, Lerma and Pearson are best three midfielders? Probably, yes. Do they function to provide enough positive forward momentum and attacking threat? The jury is out. Both Lerma and Pearson are destroyers who like to break up play and play the game at a naturally slow pace while in possession. Wilshere likes to link play and certainly zips the ball around quicker than the other two but he needs players who are looking to break the lines to be in any way effective. This midfield could be effective I believe but not when played with the front three from today. Both Stanislas and Danjuma like to drop deep to collect the ball, and Long seems to naturally drift wide into the channels to link play. The balance of the players we had on the pitch meant that all of our football was being played in front of forest with nobody in a Bournemouth shirt looking to stretch them and make things difficult, resulting in an uneventful bore draw that won’t leave long in the memory. As to how we can address the balance issues that have plagued our season so far? That, in my opinion, is what will define the tenure of the new man coming in, if he can discover the right blend then we can quite easily go on a winning run, if not it’s quite conceivable that we could see very little change at all. Either way, it’s going to be interesting...

Player ratings to follow

Player ratings
-Begovic- 6 did not have a lot to do, and didn’t even deal with that convincingly
-Smith- 7.5 one of our better players today imo. A number of good overlapping runs and good energy. Not his fault there was often no one in the box.
Rico- 7 solid enough. Couldn’t cross a road to save his life though.
CCV- 8 MOTM solid. Barely put a foot wrong. Please sign him permanently.
Cook- NA
Kelly- 6 typical Lloyd, lots of driving forward only to turn around and pass backwards. Didn’t make any glaring errors.
Lerma and Pearson- both 6 provided good protection to the defence, very slow in moving the ball but I think it’s just their game.
Wilshere- 6 tried to make things happen but very little going on around him.
Danjuma- 4 didn’t even notice he was playing until around the 20th minute.
Stanislas- 6 as per Wilshere. Needs movement around him.
Long- 4 works hard but Fletch would be more of a goal threat.

I thought kelly and Carter vickers were both solid and could form a decent partnership .
Both strong and both have plenty of pace .

Rico defensively doesn’t pick up his man from set pieces .not good enough in a million years . I see zemura was on the bench .

With both Pearson and lerma sitting in front of 2 centre halves, that is a license for enveryone else to bomb forward

I thought Long had a good first half, held the ball up and brought others into play.
Second half we never hit him once with a decent ball.
Boring game, both sides cancelled each other out.
stan and dan might as well not got out of bed.
We woke up when Brooks came on but our crossing was poor and hughton always organises his defence well.

For Rico's ability he had some very off moments. He did make some good interceptions but he was well off his best.

The issue I had with Pearson and Lerma today is we were effectively playing 6 across the back at times, with Wilshere pushed up field... This caused us to constantly just go along the back and play ridiculously boring, passive football between the aforementioned 6 players...

Unless we see them with more defined, and different roles, I just don't see how these two can play in the same midfield... Looking at today's performance.

We do find ourselves with depth in quality in the middle of the park, but we are very overloaded with DMs (Cook, Pearson, Lerma, Wilshere).

it was no surprise to see us become more forward thinking when Billing arrived.

Also, Kelly really needs to stop running forward with the ball, dragging it back, then just laying it backwards... Surely basics are to let the ball do the work...

The worst thing from my perspective (if you discount the continual negative passing) was the delivery into the box.

Our crossing was abysmal today

Clueless I agree. Corners - just as clueless. Actually now I'm in a cycle of negativity, after Cook went off we had a defence who couldn't head a ball and an attack who can't do likewise (Wilshere fluke aside).

We seem stuck between tippy tappy EH football of walking the ball into the net and the counter opposite.

I think it was a perfect storm of the given circumstances.

Forest determined to keep their good run of form going and happy to take a draw at home against one of the "big guns". In good form and strengthened by good signings in the January window anyway.
Woodgate, with his hat in the ring for the manager"s job and with two wins behind him, anxious not to lose the game.
Consequence : a nil nil draw.
No surprise to me.

Woodgate needed to be braver but under his circumstances could you honestly expect him to do differently ? This is the downside of the current managerial situation.

I thought the players all put in a shift. I saw more positive communication between the players than I've seen in a long time. It was a good effort by all, but frankly I think the tactics were not aggressive enough. But I think the reasons for that are easily understood. Still, the players put in a shift and they seemed to be talking to one another and worked hard. An acceptable and well earned away point under the circumstances, I feel. Not ideal, but given the current situation, an understandable approach and decent outcome in the end IMO. I doubt that many teams will go to Forest and come away with three points now. They are definitely a team on the up and up.

Last edited:
Not sure he did a lot wrong today tbh.
Have to agree....I thought Rico was decent tbf....he was never going venture forward to much today anyway due to the threat of knockaert..in fact with the help of Lerma and Pearson i think the entire back 4 were as assured as i've seen them for some time....i mean when you think of how many chances even the most ordinary teams have created against us before the Burnley game i don't know how anyone can question that midfield partnership .......really with the creative players we have that solid base really should be all we need...........the problem today was how those creative players were set up......i don't think we can play 433 with Danjuma and Stan ......unless Danjuma plays upfront or Stan drops into the midfield 3......you can't play either of them on the right just to get them both on the pitch.....Shane Long and Wilshere were just poor ....neither of them should start on Wednesday .....in fact if Long does start then we must have made some really stupid promises to get him to sign.

Player ratings
-Begovic- 6 did not have a lot to do, and didn’t even deal with that convincingly
-Smith- 7.5 one of our better players today imo. A number of good overlapping runs and good energy. Not his fault there was often no one in the box.
Rico- 7 solid enough. Couldn’t cross a road to save his life though.
CCV- 8 MOTM solid. Barely put a foot wrong. Please sign him permanently.
Cook- NA
Kelly- 6 typical Lloyd, lots of driving forward only to turn around and pass backwards. Didn’t make any glaring errors.
Lerma and Pearson- both 6 provided good protection to the defence, very slow in moving the ball but I think it’s just their game.
Wilshere- 6 tried to make things happen but very little going on around him.
Danjuma- 4 didn’t even notice he was playing until around the 20th minute.
Stanislas- 6 as per Wilshere. Needs movement around him.
Long- 4 works hard but Fletch would be more of a goal threat.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Kelly I thought was OK at centre back although he didn't have much defending to do and as you say his distribution wasn't brilliant. He looks to me like a Rolls Royce player with big confidence issues. If we get the right manager he could turn into the world beater so many in the game said he could be. At the moment he looks miles away from that.

Have to agree....I thought Rico was decent tbf....he was never going venture forward to much today anyway due to the threat of knockaert..in fact with the help of Lerma and Pearson i think the entire back 4 were as assured as i've seen them for some time....i mean when you think of how many chances even the most ordinary teams have created against us before the Burnley game i don't know how anyone can question that midfield partnership .......really with the creative players we have that solid base really should be all we need...........the problem today was how those creative players were set up......i don't think we can play 433 with Danjuma and Stan ......unless Danjuma plays upfront or Stan drops into the midfield 3......you can't play either of them on the right just to get them both on the pitch.....Shane Long and Wilshere were just poor ....neither of them should start on Wednesday .....in fact if Long does start then we must have made some really stupid promises to get him to sign.
Totally agree. The only real criticism I have of Woodgate today, given the circumstances, was his choice of Long over Surridge. I think if Surridge had been on from the start we might just have sneaked a goal somehow. He is a handful for defences in a way which Long unfortunately is not. Even if Surridge's presence had just created more space for Danjuma it would have given us a better chance.

;