Ben Pearson

Stats don't tell everything but they can help.(a few selective ones courtesy of Footballcritic)

Saturday - Wilshere 95% passing accuracy, 1 shot 1 on target 1 goal, possession lost 7 times, player rating 7.9 (only Danjuma was higher)

Tuesday - Billing 67% passing accuracy, 2 shots 0 shots on target, possession lost 23 times (highest of every player incl Burnley keeper who more often cleared downfield to us), player rating 6.6

Tuesday - Pearson 87% passing accuracy, no shots, possession lost 7 times, player rating 6.9.

Moments not stats win matches, but in the long run the stats can't be ignored.

Wilshere and Danjuma have to come back in, and difficult to leave out Stan. Tough decisions to make but the good news is that what ever combination he chooses can be good enough based on the renewed confidence, so long as we stick to what looks like a right shape.
Pearson is a DM though, how many times did he recover the ball last night? It felt like a lot

pearson was great - did all the scrappy stuff, winning balls he had no right to win - just what we've been crying out for

Last edited by a moderator:
If Pearson and Wilshere( supplying say Stan and Surridge) are to fire us forward.. there is still an outside chance of Auto promotion if two of the top 3 bracket hit bad runs as we did...if not maybe favourites to win playoffs. For this to be realistic we need about 6 or 7 wins from the next 10.. ish, say 2 or 3 draws and 1 defeat..I.e. WWDWLDWWDW..that's 21 points...with the others dropping about 10 over the same period..then its down to the final run in of 8 games.

If Pearson and Wilshere( supplying say Stan and Surridge) are to fire us forward.. there is still an outside chance of Auto promotion if two of the top 3 bracket hit bad runs as we did...if not maybe favourites to win playoffs. For this to be realistic we need about 6 or 7 wins from the next 10.. ish, say 2 or 3 draws and 1 defeat..I.e. WWDWLDWWDW..that's 21 points...with the others dropping about 10 over the same period..then its down to the final run in of 8 games.
Norwich have lost 2 and drawn 2 of their last 4 games without scoring.

Just remember the start Reading had to the season.

It will be very sad for Jason, who spotted the need and brought him in and was fired before he could select him, if Pearson proves to be the saviour of our season who galvanises the team into a successful run of results.

To me it highlights further why Tindall should never have been appointed and what a waste of time it was.

If you think we'd have played like that with the same team under Tindall last night because of Pearson , then think again :D

Its the sort of performance I'd have expected in most of our games this season, assuming we had a decent manager.

Also highlights how we screwed up last season and that this team/squad shouldn't have been relegated really either.

Last edited:
Completely different situations. The list of our 2015 squad who went on to other clubs and had my full support is long....the list of those who I have zero time for and cost this club more than they realise has one name on it.

I don't think it's that much different. Pearson ran his contract down and forced a move then belittled Preston in his first interview at AFCB. We have loads of very sensitive fans who would be completely up in arms about it given how his comments were as bad if not worse than anything Spicer, Wiggins, Feeney etc. said.

All your respective comments regarding Pearson are correct.... if only he was real ! Dont you lot realise that was Harry Arter with a false beard !
When he prepares to shoot he has almost identical arm flailing as Arter does. He dummied one and ran for the goal line to lay it backwards and I couldn't believe how similar it looked to the way Arter used to play.

Pearson is a DM though, how many times did he recover the ball last night? It felt like a lot
I included his stats as a positive, because I think the response to Billing was OTT, but you are right Pearson's defensive stats were good. Overall, the stats list had him as 2nd to Surridge, while Billing was around 6 or 7th.

I think the commentators only highlighted the positives for Billing, Stan and Brooks played a more instrumental role in the opener for example. If I was manager I would put the distance covered stats on social media after every game, might encourage certain players to put in more of a shift when it's shared in that way. It's not just about that, but wouldn't be tough to develop a decent benchmark for every position and get back to our team be renowned for not just the way we play but how we will run teams down.

Best you can observe is the average position, which buts Billing alongside Surridge which means he tracked back no more than our striker. Make of it what you will.

Still it's not all about stats, but inconsistent midfielders who give away possession in the long run will see us punished, as was the case only a few games ago.

I included his stats as a positive, because I think the response to Billing was OTT, but you are right Pearson's defensive stats were good. Overall, the stats list had him as 2nd to Surridge, while Billing was around 6 or 7th.

I think the commentators only highlighted the positives for Billing, Stan and Brooks played a more instrumental role in the opener for example. If I was manager I would put the distance covered stats on social media after every game, might encourage certain players to put in more of a shift when it's shared in that way. It's not just about that, but wouldn't be tough to develop a decent benchmark for every position and get back to our team be renowned for not just the way we play but how we will run teams down.

Best you can observe is the average position, which buts Billing alongside Surridge which means he tracked back no more than our striker. Make of it what you will.

Still it's not all about stats, but inconsistent midfielders who give away possession in the long run will see us punished, as was the case only a few games ago.

agree that the commentators exaggerated the positives as it is an easy story (although the assist was ingenious) but it does at least counter the exaggerated negativity Billing gets as on this forum.

the last stats I saw showed Billing ran the furthest for us (I think it was last season) although as pointed out this doesn’t necessarily mean it was effective running. Without the absolute numbers the average position is harder to interpret as someone who stood on the centre spot would have the same position as someone who covers every blade of grass on the pitch In equal measure.

I’m just pleased that he is giving the manager a selection problem. The hardest part might be dropping him without damaging his confidence.

All players running stats will differ . Billings job was to link up with surridge which he done very very well . He is more likely to be close to surridge as that is what we wanted to do.
Some midfielders like lerma will normally have great running stats , but in general he is very unlikely to play that killer ball to unlock a defence
Pearson passing is more likely to be simple and non risky.
Stats never tell the full picture at all

All players running stats will differ . Billings job was to link up with surridge which he done very very well . He is more likely to be close to surridge as that is what we wanted to do.
Some midfielders like lerma will normally have great running stats , but in general he is very unlikely to play that killer ball to unlock a defence
Pearson passing is more likely to be simple and non risky.
Stats never tell the full picture at all
Agree but when you are at the match you can get a broader view than just what the camera shows you, so I find the stats helpful to augment to what I have seen on TV due to what I wasn't being shown.

The thing I miss is the off the ball runs or lack of them that you don't see. I get frustrated by Kelly's passing but rarely do you see what he has available from the angles they show, so it's tricky to be sure.

agree that the commentators exaggerated the positives as it is an easy story (although the assist was ingenious) but it does at least counter the exaggerated negativity Billing gets as on this forum.

the last stats I saw showed Billing ran the furthest for us (I think it was last season) although as pointed out this doesn’t necessarily mean it was effective running. Without the absolute numbers the average position is harder to interpret as someone who stood on the centre spot would have the same position as someone who covers every blade of grass on the pitch In equal measure.

I’m just pleased that he is giving the manager a selection problem. The hardest part might be dropping him without damaging his confidence.
Totally agree, he's talented and capable of affecting results, but he just seems to lack concentration / sharpness too often which makes him sloppy. You can live with that further forward if he's not charged with protecting the back 4.

Just pity they don't share running stats during the season, including time running above a certain speed. Without full view of pitch these might help show running we can't see so we appreciate effort going into performances.

;