Best option for getting to the ground?

Matt Stevenson

First Team
Apologies if there is a thread already on this, (although that could date badly).

I've MK Dons tickets (hurray!) and three generations of the Stevensons (age range 7-81) are heading to the game. I've not been at a home game for maybe a decade, when we were more niche, so can people provide some advice?

How much before kick off would we need to arrive to park in one of the car parks near the ground?

If we can't get into these are there any other parking options nearby?

Years ago, I would walk from Bournemouth train station - could this be a better option than driving? (mobility isn't an issue)

Thanks in advance

Matt

If you decide to go by car I’ve always parked at Queens Park by the golf course, it’s about a 15 min walk to the ground but no traffic issues on the way out. Probably closer better options but I stick to what I know!

Walking to the ground from the station may depend on the weather but we did it a couple of years back and it's pretty straight forward and it took me about 35 minutes (I walk very slowly)

Pokesdown station is closer if the trains you are likely to catch stop there. However I would expect quite a few delays or cancellations due to staff shortages.

On the other hand, if it’s a sunny day there will be a lot of traffic coming into the town.

As long as mobility isn't an issue for you, then parking 15-20 mins walking radius from the ground does the trick for me when driving.

Queens Park as above, Springbourne, getting more towards Lansdowne (central train station), or the other side of the park at Pokesdown (and train station) all have suitable back roads.

By the time I've walked back to the car, the traffic has cleared. And in the event of a bad refereeing decision some of my anger will have cleared also :)

The roundabout joining Littledown Avenue and Harewood Avenue is closed for a month, so could effect traffic elsewhere.

I echo what Northstandmark says if you park about 20/25 mins away the traffic has pretty much cleared by the time you get back to your car.

Apologies if there is a thread already on this, (although that could date badly).

I've MK Dons tickets (hurray!) and three generations of the Stevensons (age range 7-81) are heading to the game. I've not been at a home game for maybe a decade, when we were more niche, so can people provide some advice?

How much before kick off would we need to arrive to park in one of the car parks near the ground?

If we can't get into these are there any other parking options nearby?

Years ago, I would walk from Bournemouth train station - could this be a better option than driving? (mobility isn't an issue)

Thanks in advance

Matt

Where is the best place to park?

The South Stand car park, behind the stadium, costs just £1 to park. It does fill up roughly 75 minutes prior to kick-off, so arrive early. It may also take up to 45 minutes to clear after the game.

You can now leave via the south of the car park to exit the park along Gloucester Road, therefore missing the traffic along Kings Park Drive.

Harewood College
For free parking just a ten-minute walk from the ground, Harewood College is open from 12.30pm.

Supporters both home and away will be able to use the facility.

This area has the advantage of being away from the congestion around Kings Park, while only a short walk to Vitality Stadium, allowing easier access. The car park will also be manned by a steward until kick-off.

Sovereign Shopping Centre
Alternative parking can be found at Sovereign Shopping Centre for £2 for four hours or £4 for 24 hours.

Parking on the roads next to the stadium
Several residential roads adjacent to the ground have parking restrictions, which the club asks supporters to adhere to. Where these do not exist, please be mindful of existing drive entrances and avoid parking illegally or unsafely.

Enforcement officers are active on matchdays and the club is determined to have ensure matches impact on local residents as little as possible.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/tickets/ticketing-faqs/

Thanks for this.

Harewood College
For free parking just a ten-minute walk from the ground, Harewood College is open from 12.30pm.

This area has the advantage of being away from the congestion around Kings Park, while only a short walk to Vitality Stadium, allowing easier access. The car park will also be manned by a steward until kick-off.

Does this not sound like an invitation to thieves to know there are lots of unsupervised cars there once it reaches kick off? Maybe I've lived in dodgy areas for too long!

I maybe stating the bleedin obvious but the nearer to kick off time then the further out you will have to park. If you park up about 2 p.m. expect a 20 minute walk.
Of course the unknown is how big the crowd will be, if only 5,000 then parking should be fairly easy. I always prefer to be the other side of the Spur Road and use the underpass to access the ground but it probably depends which part of town you are approaching from.
I don't know how far you are driving or whether you will be in Bournemouth the night before but traffic down the M3, M27 and the New Forest is horrendous on both Fridays and Saturdays in the school holidays, also heading back "oop North" on a Sunday afternoon and evening is crap as well. If coming down on Sat morning leave very early !!!!

The South Stand car park, behind the stadium, costs just £1 to park. It does fill up roughly 75 minutes prior to kick-off, so arrive early. It may also take up to 45 minutes to clear after the game.

You can now leave via the south of the car park to exit the park along Gloucester Road, therefore missing the traffic along Kings Park Drive.

Harewood College

Sovereign Shopping Centre
Alternative parking can be found at Sovereign Shopping Centre for £2 for four hours or £4 for 24 hours.

Parking on the roads next to the stadium
Several residential roads adjacent to the ground have parking restrictions, which the club asks supporters to adhere to. Where these do not exist, please be mindful of existing drive entrances and avoid parking illegally or unsafely.

Enforcement officers are active on matchdays and the club is determined to have ensure matches impact on local residents as little as possible.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/tickets/ticketing-faqs/

Couple of considerations depending on how mobile the 81 year old is…

right by the ground is easy to do as long as get there in time. For prem games I usually reckoned 1.45 at latest for 3pm game but seen spaces still just after 2pm. Lower gate for MK dons of course but maybe more people drive to avoid covid germs on public transport.

sovereign centre is really easy and a short walk (nice after sitting down at a game) if you want to avoid side roads unless getting there early.

Again depending on attitude to covid risk, may want to get in to ground earlier to avoid crowds on concourse - very few wore masks there last night.

another option is just park which I have used when travelling down from London where I know there is a risk due to work congestion or in summer when m3/m27 get clogged up. Don’t underestimate the delays in July on these roads on a Saturday! I try to travel as early as possible in summer.

enjoy the game!

I was thinking of popping along to this one.

Does DC have its own helipad or is there at least one nearby which somebody can recommend ? Ta very much, like to avoid public transport and common folk in general wherever possible. :tophat:

:giggle:

I was thinking of popping along to this one.

Does DC have its own helipad or is there at least one nearby which somebody can recommend ? Ta very much, like to avoid public transport and common folk in general wherever possible. :tophat:

:giggle:

beryl hire bikes & e-scooters are available..... but be prepared to be accosted/bricked/abused/have-really-horrible-things-about-you-written by bournemouth echo comment writers en-route

I normally park by the nursery then walk round by the athletics stadium or you can go over the park I presume its still free as not been for a while! Get there between 1 and 2 should be ok Bit of a pain getting out sometimes but cant see it being too bad

;