Chris Mepham

Need a mings 3 thread !

Good news re Mepham at a more sensible value this time. We really would be a great place for promising youngsters to develop if cook, ake, brooks, Solanke, ramsdale and Mepham etc all come through to become stars. Surely they must ask Eddie what his plans are before committing to sign for us?

Headline figure with all addons opposed to upfront fee?? We know selling club want to claim bigger numbers to placate fans. It might be that them up the road leaked a bid amount of 15+ to the press but our lower bid was accepted before they made a bid. Once you've been given permission to talk to the player it doesn't really matter what higher bids come in, hence us being in advanced talks rather than preliminary ones

How are afcb going to balance the books? Are they? ;-)

FlamboyantWickedGoldfish-small.gif

Short of signing a £30 million CB then we aren't likely to sign someone that will immediately displace Cook or Ake. I think we all know we won't be spending that on a CB right now.

Mepham is a player we've chased for some time so obviously believe he can make the step up and improve us over time but Brentford have resisted us in the past because they thought they were in with a chance of promotion. They've likely blown it for this season so this may be the only time they're open to offers for him in which case it makes sense to move now if the finance is available.

Our record of young players signed from the Championship since promotion is Mings, King, Brooks, L Cook, Afobe, Hyndman and Mahoney. Even if you count Mings as a miss, the hit rate of success relative to outlay when allowing for the step up to PL level is actually fantastic.

So, if they think he's worth £15 million and we can make a deal happen then I'm delighted.
By the way. Where is Mahoney ???

Cherries set to complete £12million deal for defender.

Bournemouth are reportedly closing in on the signing of Chris Mepham.

https://www.football.london/brentford-fc/brentford-news-bournemouth-chris-mepham-15675721

Just a thought, Mepham right sided player playing on the left. They don't have enough left sided defenders. Early reports saying 20, now saying 12

We have an 8 million pound, left sided, out of favour defender, not saying it's happening but while people keep saying about him being off... ...

Been late to training a couple times are what I've heard, on top of his arrogant attitude.

Doesn't help the guy is made of paper either
...not sure that if he has any big boots ideas about himself he will be able to prance around our dressing room without getting himself ripped up? (if he is made of paper!)

Tom Barclay

Bournemouth are in advanced negotiations to sign Brentford's Chris Mepham. I'm told the defender, also a Southampton target, only wants to join the Cherries - because of Eddie Howe's long-standing interest in him #afcb #saintsfc

;