Birmingham away

------------Travers------------
Meps----Rossi----Kelly----JZ
-----------Killkenny-----------
----Marcondes---Billing-----
Taylor-----Dom-----Anthony

It's crazy looking at that side... as our starting XI in a 'league' game, when you compare the side that finished last season...

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, probably the contrary, but it is still crazy to look at all those young names that have been mentioned and knocking on the door for seemingly forever, and now seeing them all on the team sheet, at once, and it's not the Micky Mouse trophy...!!!

Last edited:
Think sticking with back 4 is key

Is one option to switch Anthony to the right
I think we'll either see Stan start on the right or we'll see a back 3... which tbf I think would be understandable given the Ariel threat Birmingham pose......they looked like they'd score every they put a ball into the box against Sheffield Utd.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, probably the contrary, but it is still crazy to look at all those young names that have been mentioned and knocking on the door for seemingly forever, and now seeing them all on the team sheet, at once, and it's not the Micky Mouse trophy...!!!
Very true. It will be interesting to see how Parker mixes in the "old guard" players when they are fit again. Very interesting. Do you play them as soon as they are fit or do you make them work extremely hard to earn their spot back ?

For me, if the youngsters are doing the business, their effort and attitude would justify them keeping their place in the team. But of course there will be pressure on the manager to play some of our highest earners once they are available for selection. But personally I wouldn't want to demoralise the youngsters by replacing them at the first opportunity. I'd make the big names wait for their chance to come along. It will be a tricky situation for Parker to handle without upsetting the mood in the squad, that's for sure !

I think we'll either see Stan start on the right or we'll see a back 3... which tbf I think would be understandable given the Ariel threat Birmingham pose......they looked like they'd score every they put a ball into the box against Sheffield Utd.

You'd think there would be something in the rules by now about attacking your opponents with laundry detergent.

I think he'll set up with a 4-3-3 again rather than risk confusing the youngsters. I think it's more set pieces we have struggled with, so he may want to tweak things there. Stan in for Brooks feels likely if he's deemed fit.

You'd think there would be something in the rules by now about attacking your opponents with laundry detergent.

I think he'll set up with a 4-3-3 again rather than risk confusing the youngsters. I think it's more set pieces we have struggled with, so he may want to tweak things there. Stan in for Brooks feels likely if he's deemed fit.
Whether it's from set pieces or from open play I don't think an extra CB would be a bad idea......Jutkiewicz is the best striker in the league in the air....if Kelly or any other of our CB's gets isolated against him its going to be no contest....we need to double up on him.

Whether it's from set pieces or from open play I don't think an extra CB would be a bad idea......Jutkiewicz is the best striker in the league in the air....if Kelly or any other of our CB's gets isolated against him its going to be no contest....we need to double up on him.

I get what you're saying. I tend to come from the angle that the battle is won and lost in midfield. If we can cut off the supply and retain possession or pin them back with the threat of counter attack then their aerial threat is effectively nullified. I would say this is more important when you have an inexperienced back line to take the pressure off. We've also seen before that packing the box doesn't always make us better defensively as it invites crosses and players can get in each others' way, particularly if not positionally aware.

Pearlo would be a great boon though if we can get him ready in time for the game. For me he's the extra man for set pieces etc.

Very true. It will be interesting to see how Parker mixes in the "old guard" players when they are fit again. Very interesting. Do you play them as soon as they are fit or do you make them work extremely hard to earn their spot back ?

For me, if the youngsters are doing the business, their effort and attitude would justify them keeping their place in the team. But of course there will be pressure on the manager to play some of our highest earners once they are available for selection. But personally I wouldn't want to demoralise the youngsters by replacing them at the first opportunity. I'd make the big names wait for their chance to come along. It will be a tricky situation for Parker to handle without upsetting the mood in the squad, that's for sure !

I think Wednesday evening will give us a decent idea of where we're at with the kids involved... and not just involved, but all of them involved at the same time...

I think it is fair to say that not one of JZ, Anthony, Kilkenny, Travers, Rosi, Taylor, Sayedi (sp) would have expected to have been relied on in such a way this season, but would have expected to be more than subs or bit parts...

The lads that we would normally expect to see as first team players should absolutely be made to work for their positions... However, I suspect they wont be made to work too hard. Which is fine, as long as Parker doesn't ignore the achievements of the younger lads and continues to use them. If they can see a fair rotation happening then their confidence levels should not be effected.

As things stand I can see very little difference in placing the likes of L.Cook or Pearson, for Kilkenny. Same for Rosi over S.Cook for example...

It's all great competition for places and as long as they keep performing it eases the pressure on getting bodies in as well... Although we should still look to bring in a 2 or 3 experienced heads still

I get what you're saying. I tend to come from the angle that the battle is won and lost in midfield. If we can cut off the supply and retain possession or pin them back with the threat of counter attack then their aerial threat is effectively nullified. I would say this is more important when you have an inexperienced back line to take the pressure off. We've also seen before that packing the box doesn't always make us better defensively as it invites crosses and players can get in each others' way, particularly if not positionally aware.

Pearlo would be a great boon though if we can get him ready in time for the game. For me he's the extra man for set pieces etc.
Well yes ideally we would like to cut of that supply but even with one of if not the strongest midfield in the league last season we still had the 6th worst record at defending set pieces and came second from bottom at defending crosses in general......the problem we have is that the more effort we put into preventing teams from crossing the more free kicks and corners we give away.

Well yes ideally we would like to cut of that supply but even with one of if not the strongest midfield in the league last season we still had the 6th worst record at defending set pieces and came second from bottom at defending crosses in general......the problem we have is that the more effort we put into preventing teams from crossing the

more free kicks and corners we give away.

Marc Robert’s long throw ins to to the tall Southampton born Lukas Jutkiewicz will be a big worry.

I think Wednesday evening will give us a decent idea of where we're at with the kids involved... and not just involved, but all of them involved at the same time...

I think it is fair to say that not one of JZ, Anthony, Kilkenny, Travers, Rosi, Taylor, Sayedi (sp) would have expected to have been relied on in such a way this season, but would have expected to be more than subs or bit parts...

The lads that we would normally expect to see as first team players should absolutely be made to work for their positions... However, I suspect they wont be made to work too hard. Which is fine, as long as Parker doesn't ignore the achievements of the younger lads and continues to use them. If they can see a fair rotation happening then their confidence levels should not be effected.

As things stand I can see very little difference in placing the likes of L.Cook or Pearson, for Kilkenny. Same for Rosi over S.Cook for example...

It's all great competition for places and as long as they keep performing it eases the pressure on getting bodies in as well... Although we should still look to bring in a 2 or 3 experienced heads still
Yes. Unless one of the youngsters has a howler, I hope he sticks with them and only rotates them out when he thinks they need a rest. Then it is up to the seasoned professionals to perform at their highest levels to keep their new found place in the side for the longer term. I think it's important not to put the youngsters' noses out of joint since so far they have brought 100% effort and enthusiasm, something which some of our more senior players have not always done. It will be interesting to see what happens but I hope the youngsters only get rotated out for recovery reasons as long as they continue to give 100%.

;