Blackpool match report

DJ

Would anyone like to write a match report and maybe some player ratings for yesterdays game?

Running short of time, otherwise would give it a crack.

Will start off player ratings, and let everyone add one each to give something to discuss.

Travers - 7 - nothing he could do about either goal. Not hugely tested but seemed composed on the ball and made one really good block when he didn't know their player was offside.

Thoughts on Mepham?

Mepham-7 Made some good blocks and was winning the ball whilst playing in an unfamiliar position.

Thoughts on Ibsen-Rossi?

Last edited:
Blackpool rock Cherries with second half fight back:

It was a momentous day in the LC household as it was LLC (Little London Cherry’s) first Dean Court game. With an excited 7 year old in tow we made our pilgrimage to the south coast. Close to 3 1/2 hours later we made it!! No hope of selfies for the boy but the players were ready and so were we!

The game started at a breakneck speed with Zemura having an early chance after good work by Anthony. A fit again (or so we thought) Stanislas then carved his way through the Blackpool defence to offer a chance to Solanke. He still had a lot to do but Dom drilled a right footed shot which nestled into the net. A great start!

David Brooks seemed to have the infamous (well on here anyway!) Luke Garbutt on toast and once again the welsh wizard ran at the defender following an excellent cross field ball by Kelly. Brook popped the ball to Marcondes (on for the stricken Stan) who subsequently played a delightful ball into Dom who made it two with a stooping header! Quote from LLC at this stage “This is easy”. Bless him he hasn’t watched Bournemouth much!

For some reason we then seemed to take our foot off the gas. Blackpool had a whipped free kick saved by Travers and then from the resulting corner (I think) the ball pinged around the Cherries six yard box and luckily just wide of the post. This period of pressure should of woken us up and it did briefly after a surging run by Brooks created an excellent chance for Phil Billing. However, the Danes left footed shot just missed the front post when a right footed whipped shot could have made it 3. Despite a bit more Blackpool pressure the half time whistle sounded and we were off for a chocolate half time treat!

The start of the second half brought with it the turning point of the match. An excellent through ball by Brooks gave Dom a 1:1 chance to make it 3-0 and surely game over. We held our breath as we expected the net to bulge but (from our view) Dom fatally hesitated with the Blackpool defender getting a toe end clearance on the ball. The chance had gone. I wondered whether this would be the turning point and unfortunately it proved to be.

A poorly timed tackle by Zemura (I think) resulted in a whipped Garbutt free kick which hit Billing, then the post, before a gleeful James Husband prodded home into the top of the net. Could we have reacted better? Could someone had taken command of the situation? Perhaps an ex England international (aka Gary Cahill) might have made the difference.

The Seasiders (of the northern variety) tails were up. Another through ball had Ibsen Rossi caught the wrong side of his marker. An ill timed tackle saw the Blackpool player fall to the ground. Initially we thought we’d got away with it but the ref (after what seemed an eternity) pointed at the spot. Yates’ penalty was blasted down the middle and suddenly from 2-0 up and cruising it was 2-2. LLC wasn’t enjoying the second half nearly as much but at least he had his curly wurly’s still!

Anthony (who had been quiet second half, but so had most of the midfield) had half a chance straight after the goal but scuffed his effort. Ben Pearson (on as a sub for Kilkenny) then played a delightful ball over the top for Solanke but another last ditched tackle prevented the ex England man from restoring our lead. As the time ticked down one more Cherries corner gave us a final chance to snatch victory. A good delivery by Marcondes gave Dom another chance. For all the world we thought it was in, but as I envisaged curly wurly’s being thrown in the air, the Blackpool keeper managed an excellent finger tip save. One more corner came to nothing and the referee blew his whistle. 2-2 was the final score.

Player ratings:

Travers 7: Didn’t do much wrong but I feel as though he needs to be more commanding at times especially from crosses.

Mepham 6: He’s not a right back but he’s giving it a good shot for his team. Still has me on edge though with his occasional lack of focus with wayward passing.

Zemura 6: I thought Jordan had an excellent, rampaging first half but was caught out on more than one occasion in the second. Hopefully a learning experience.

Ibsen Rossi 6: He’s come from nowhere so I’m not surprised he looked a bit shaky at times. Has a good leap but was culpable for the penalty.

Kelly 6: Some good passing mixed in with some dithering. Would like Cahill/Cook alongside him to reassure him in the future.

Kilkenny 6: Another one who faded badly second half after an excellent opening period. This game was crying out for a character such as Lerma to help support the excellent talent that is our young Irishman.

Billing: 5: Off the pace for me yesterday. Needs to bully opposition more and for me he was the one that was bullied by the Blackpool midfield.

Stanislas 6: Our made our glass midfielder only lasted 15 minutes but did set up the first goal for Solanke.

Anthony: 6: Part of an excellent opening period but his form dipped during the second half. Needs to work on his decision making in the final third.

Brooks: 8 (first half) 5 (second half). Average 6.5: Had Garbutt on toast first half and pulled our strings. Second half we needed his creativity and he went missing.

Solanke: 8: Two well taken goals but he could have had five! I thought he led the line really well and gave the Blackpool defence a torrid time. He’ll be kicking himself he hasn’t gone home with the match ball though.

Subs:

Marcondes 5: On for most of the game due to Stan’s injury and despite a good assist for the second goal he was mostly ineffective. Need to see more of his undoubted talent.

Pearson: 6: Thought Ben was ok when he came on and Norwich gives Parker the chance to give him more game time.

Davis: 6: Didn’t see Leif do too much so will give him my favourite rating from today!

MOTM: For me it was Dom today but oh it could have been a 10/10 performance!

Final thoughts:

LLC perspective: Long journey down south (Daddy should have left earlier). Lunch rushed in the car and no selfies with players. Note to Daddy leave earlier! “The ground is quite small Daddy”. “Welcome to Dean Court my boy, let’s show you the family brick outside the stadium”! Game is easy at 2-0. “When is half time, I want some chocolate!”. “Why are Blackpool fighting back and spoiling the game”. “At least we won a point, I’m pleased I came Daddy”. “Where can we eat nuggets for dinner?!”

LC thoughts: If ever there was a game of two halves this was it. We started superbly with our fluid front three causing all types of havoc to the Blackpool defence. If Dom could have made it three it could have been game over but it was not to be. Were we naive? Probably. Will this team learn from this? I hope so. One thing is for certain we must stay with them and keep supporting Scott and the team as it could be an exciting year. Ultimately it’s great to be back!

Thanks LC. Firstly, more than one curly wurly? Excessive.
Secondly, it’s quite a long time for a 7 year old to sit and watch. In previous terrace days they could wander around, down to the junior cherries place beneath the south end, or go and see other friends family.
Hats off to him for getting through it.

Agree re Billing. Would like to have seen Pearson on for him early in second half.

It was a momentous day in the LC household as it was LLC (Little London Cherry’s) first Dean Court game. With an excited 7 year old in tow we made our pilgrimage to the south coast. Close to 3 1/2 hours later we made it!! No hope of selfies for the boy but the players were ready and so were we!

The game started at a breakneck speed with Zemura having an early chance after good work by Anthony. A fit again (or so we thought) Stanislas then carved his way through the Blackpool defence to offer a chance to Solanke. He still had a lot to do but Dom drilled a right footed shot which nestled into the net. A great start!

David Brooks seemed to have the infamous (well on here anyway!) Luke Garbutt on toast and once again the welsh wizard ran at the defender following an excellent cross field ball by Kelly. Brook popped the ball to Marcondes (on for the stricken Stan) who subsequently played a delightful ball into Dom who made it two with a stooping header! Quote from LLC at this stage “This is easy”. Bless him he hasn’t watched Bournemouth much!

For some reason we then seemed to take our foot off the gas. Blackpool had a whipped free kick saved by Travers and then from the resulting corner (I think) the ball pinged around the Cherries six yard box and luckily just wide of the post. This period of pressure should of woken us up and it did briefly after a surging run by Brooks created an excellent chance for Phil Billing. However, the Danes left footed shot just missed the front post when a right footed whipped shot could have made it 3. Despite a bit more Blackpool pressure the half time whistle sounded and we were off for a chocolate half time treat!

The start of the second half brought with it the turning point of the match. An excellent through ball by Brooks gave Dom a 1:1 chance to make it 3-0 and surely game over. We held our breath as we expected the net to bulge but (from our view) Dom fatally hesitated with the Blackpool defender getting a toe end clearance on the ball. The chance had gone. I wondered whether this would be the turning point and unfortunately it proved to be.

A poorly timed tackle by Zemura (I think) resulted in a whipped Garbutt free kick which hit Billing, then the post, before a gleeful James Husband prodded home into the top of the net. Could we have reacted better? Could someone had taken command of the situation? Perhaps an ex England international (aka Gary Cahill) might have made the difference.

The Seasiders (of the northern variety) tails were up. Another through ball had Ibsen Rossi caught the wrong side of his marker. An ill timed tackle saw the Blackpool player fall to the ground. Initially we thought we’d got away with it but the ref (after what seemed an eternity) pointed at the spot. Yates’ penalty was blasted down the middle and suddenly from 2-0 up and cruising it was 2-2. LLC wasn’t enjoying the second half nearly as much but at least he had his curly wurly’s still!

Anthony (who had been quiet second half, but so had most of the midfield) had half a chance straight after the goal but scuffed his effort. Ben Pearson (on as a sub for Kilkenny) then played a delightful ball over the top for Solanke but another last ditched tackle prevented the ex England man from restoring our lead. As the time ticked down one more Cherries corner gave us a final chance to snatch victory. A good delivery by Marcondes gave Dom another chance. For all the world we thought it was in, but as I envisaged curly wurly’s being thrown in the air, the Blackpool keeper managed an excellent finger tip save. One more corner came to nothing and the referee blew his whistle. 2-2 was the final score.

Player ratings:

Travers 7: Didn’t do much wrong but I feel as though he needs to be more commanding at times especially from crosses.

Mepham 6: He’s not a right back but he’s giving it a good shot for his team. Still has me on edge though with his occasional lack of focus with wayward passing.

Zemura 6: I thought Jordan had an excellent, rampaging first half but was caught out on more than one occasion in the second. Hopefully a learning experience.

Ibsen Rossi 6: He’s come from nowhere so I’m not surprised he looked a bit shaky at times. Has a good leap but was culpable for the penalty.

Kelly 6: Some good passing mixed in with some dithering. Would like Cahill/Cook alongside him to reassure him in the future.

Kilkenny 6: Another one who faded badly second half after an excellent opening period. This game was crying out for a character such as Lerma to help support the excellent talent that is our young Irishman.

Billing: 5: Off the pace for me yesterday. Needs to bully opposition more and for me he was the one that was bullied by the Blackpool midfield.

Stanislas 6: Our made our glass midfielder only lasted 15 minutes but did set up the first goal for Solanke.

Anthony: 6: Part of an excellent opening period but his form dipped during the second half. Needs to work on his decision making in the final third.

Brooks: 8 (first half) 5 (second half). Average 6.5: Had Garbutt on toast first half and pulled our strings. Second half we needed his creativity and he went missing.

Solanke: 8: Two well taken goals but he could have had five! I thought he led the line really well and gave the Blackpool defence a torrid time. He’ll be kicking himself he hasn’t gone home with the match ball though.

Subs:

Marcondes 5: On for most of the game due to Stan’s injury and despite a good assist for the second goal he was mostly ineffective. Need to see more of his undoubted talent.

Pearson: 6: Thought Ben was ok when he came on and Norwich gives Parker the chance to give him more game time.

Davis: 6: Didn’t see Leif do too much so will give him my favourite rating from today!

Final thoughts:

LLC perspective: Long journey down south (Daddy should have left earlier). Lunch rushed in the car and no selfies with players. Note to Daddy leave earlier! “The ground is quite small Daddy”. “Welcome to Dean Court my boy, let’s show you the family brick outside the stadium”! Game is easy at 2-0. “When is half time, I want some chocolate!”. “Why are Blackpool fighting back and spoiling the game”. “At least we won a point, I’m pleased I came Daddy”. “Where can we eat nuggets for dinner?!”

LC thoughts: If ever there was a game of two halves this was it. We started superbly with our fluid front three causing all types of havoc to the Blackpool defence. If Dom could have made it three it could have been game over but it was not to be. Were we naive? Probably. Will this team learn from this? I hope so. One thing is for certain we must stay with them and keep supporting Scott and the team as it could be an exciting year. Ultimately it’s great to be back!
:clap: great report, thanks.

M
Running short of time, otherwise would give it a crack.

Will start off player ratings, and let everyone add one each to give something to discuss.

Travers - 7 - nothing he could do about either goal. Not hugely tested but seemed composed on the ball and made one really good block when he didn't know their player was offside.

Thoughts on Mepham?
Meps: 7.5 :) Thing stopping him being 8 is that he's not used to linking up with Brooks so could only focus on defending. I think he did this well. After what happened against Brentford, I think we should be proud of him. He's picked himself up, done well in the Euros and has been doing great for us too. Looks much more solid. He even managed to play for a whole yesterday with a muscular injury while Leif was being readied.

Player ratings:

Subs:

Final thoughts:

Thanks for this. Did you get your autographs?

Thanks LC. Firstly, more than one curly wurly? Excessive.
Secondly, it’s quite a long time for a 7 year old to sit and watch. In previous terrace days they could wander around, down to the junior cherries place beneath the south end, or go and see other friends family.
Hats off to him for getting through it.

Agree re Billing. Would like to have seen Pearson on for him early in second half.
I promise it was the mini curly wurly’s and not the big ones! LLC loves it that you praised him though!

Great report, thank you. A common consensus seems to be that we needed another midfielder to drop deeper and help out Kilkenny when building play. Think this is pretty obvious and hopefully Parker can see it. If we are to persist with this system then more pace at the top end of the pitch might be vital, giving us the option to go direct and mix it up.

I think the Pearson for Kilkenny substitution was to keep billing on as he does offer a goal threat.
First half we were very good but the last ten of the first half they had a couple of good opportunities.
Second half they went down our left hand side quite a bit and tried to exploit the inexperience that side.
Zemura and Anthony struggled second half but we have to put things into perspective with these young players and I’m sure it will be a good learning curve .
Look this is a long season . We will slowly get more options available from the bench and we will bring in a couple of players to boost the first 11.
The positives was when we did ever havethe ball around their half we looked so capable of opening them up

No one’s mentioned we played 3 at the back. Better teams would have taken full advantage of that system which we never look comfortable with. Hope SP doesn’t persist with it.

;