Taking The Knee

cherrycarl2004

First Team
I just wanted to hear everybody's opinion to be honest. I personally, don't agree with the actions of the Black Lives Matter movement, some protesters are there for a good cause and reason, but it has been hijacked by criminals who are just in it for the sake of attacking a police officer or to steal from shops, black or white. So I cannot stand by the Premier League's decision of supporting the cause by printing ''Black Lives Matter'' to replace the players names, nor can I stand by the decision for players to be taking the knee. No man should take a knee for another man. Therefore, whether you agree with me or not, I am taking the tough decision to not watch any Premier League games until they are no longer supporting this cause.

the actions of the Black Lives Matter movement

it has been hijacked by criminals

Which is it you object to? The Black Lives Matter Movement or the criminals who have ‘hijacked’ it?

So let me get this straight, you will no longer watch football because of the actions of criminals which by your own admission aren’t part of the movement the Premier League support. Or is it just that you don’t think black lives matter?

I do think some of the BML stuff is getting out of hand now, presumably because these up to no good types are hijacking it and there is velocity in some of the OTT spin off actions as the outraged social media bandwagon follow blindly like sheep....I say that last sentence slightly tongue in cheek though because if ultimately some of the initial underlying concerns are rectified then that can only be a good thing.

My overriding thought of concern though is that a lot of the popular swell voicing the “you’re either with us or against us” is causing further polarisation that the world doesn’t need heading in to Second waves of Cove-19, economic recessions and god knows what else when you see the way China and the US are carrying on. I say this because the way things are heading in terms of activism, I think the activists will not Necessarily recognise the “small steps“ that many members of society, organisations or governments take as being enough, when those making the small steps realise the expectation gap is so great they will start to think “hang on a minute” and move towards the against force (although not so extreme In opposition). I wonder if the Premier League forcing that down our throats will in some way contribute to that.....I Guess the OP view demonstrates that?

My own view has and always will be to live and let live; I think humans have a natural tendency to view individuals from different backgrounds, cultures and religions with a certain degree of suspicion (cite reference to Burnleysdr posting here :) ) and that is ok so Long as we still treat each other with respect and decency. So actions and demonstrations to try and ensure that happens I can can live with and support, people who quite frankly are from the same standing as I am, telling me I need to educate myself and preaching to me about x,y,z as if they are an enlightened soul whilst I’m some kind of cave dweller quite frankly irritates the hell out of me and turns me away very quickly.

I am one of the most self-educated people probably planet wide...and I will not be dictated to by 'a movement' laying down its doctrine. No f√cking way Jose'.
Hitler tried all that type of sh*t on my parents generation. Shove it....its basically Racism or Bullying or a hybrid of other sh*t!

Sheep sh*t for and from Sheep( no disrespect to real Sheep - sorry to ewe guys of the fields).

Right oh...back to sleep ..its only firkin well 5' o'clockish !

Last edited:
I am one of the most self-educated people probably planet wide...and I will not be dictated to by 'a movement' laying down its doctrine. No f√cking way Jose'.
Hitler tried all that type of sh*t on my parents generation. Shove it....its basically Racism or Bullying or a hybrid of other sh*t!

Sheep sh*t for and from Sheep( no disrespect to real Sheep - sorry to you guys of the fields).

Right oh...back to sleep ..its only firkin well 5' o'clockish !

they do seem to be trying to bully everyone by stating your either with us or against us and anyone that disagrees with anything they say they deem racist and set out to destroy that person simply because they have questioned some of the motives etc . they do have some genuine concerns that need to be listened to and addressed. i think many people are out there supporting them without really knowing exactly what it is they are supporting

Wayne, to your final point, I would tend to agree with what you saying if you're talking about the corporate concern with the optics
of BLM support.

Whilst I do think it is a decent gesture for the Premier League to consider putting it on the shirts for the rest of the season, it's still pretty hollow in the grand scheme of things when you consider most BLM supporters are asking not only for the dismantling of the instruments of structural racism but also for a thorough investigation of an economic system that not only supports said structural racism but also the protection of the oligarchy at the expense of everyone else. As an economic model, the Premier League is a pure reflection of a system that allows for a seemingly unlimited expression of wealth as oligarchs continue to clean their money through team ownership, price other teams out of the game paying incredible wages and transfer fees as they widen the gap between the haves and have nots. So for me, the way Premier League relates to the economy makes its support of BLM feel hypocritical.

I support the kneeling, its symbolism and its show of solidarity (Carl does not on the grounds that no man should kneel before another, though I'd still like to invite him to join me at the Kit Kat Club some time in the future), however I do feel the Premier League is not really analogous to the NFL insofar as the NFL has much closer ties to the state (it's not supposed to) given that the national anthem is played before every game and the US military continues to contribute a sizeable source of its income so long as it can use it as a recruitment tool; my point being that Kaepernick's original protest was far more intertwined with the idea that his job felt much more tied to the structure of a state that doesn't really have the best interests of his people at heart.

As for the street protests themselves, yes there are some bad actors and troublemakers but most of the actions have gone by peacefully when you consider what is at stake. So much of the work of organising and communicating protest happens online that on the contrary, I think pretty much everyone who shows up to these things knows exactly what it is they're supporting.

they do seem to be trying to bully everyone by stating your either with us or against us and anyone that disagrees with anything they say they deem racist and set out to destroy that person simply because they have questioned some of the motives etc . they do have some genuine concerns that need to be listened to and addressed. i think many people are out there supporting them without really knowing exactly what it is they are supporting

It sure looks like the donations to BLM are being funnelled to Hologram Joe and not to the poor African American folk who need it most?:(

I just read a lot, and in my book most politicians are to some degree corrupt , it seems that's how the system works ?:throw:

Link here FWIW.

https://theconservativetreehouse.co...-matter-are-being-funneled-to-biden-campaign/

Last edited:
It sure looks like the donations to BLM are being funnelled to Hologram Joe and not to the poor African American folk who need it most?:(

I just read a lot, and in my book most politicians are to some degree corrupt , it seems that's how the system works ?:throw:

Link here FWIW.

https://theconservativetreehouse.co...-matter-are-being-funneled-to-biden-campaign/

FACT CHECK

The Conservative Tree House is an extreme right-wing propaganda site.

CTH was the source of President''s Trump's unfounded conspiracy theory about the 75 year old man who cracked his head on the pavement after being pushed over by the police in Buffalo.

Remember 2016 when someone posted lots from Breitbart about Hilary Clinton and we took it as news, whereas it was baseless nonsense?

I'll get slaughtered for this, but........................

While you lot debate the number of angels that you can get on the head of a pin.

Over the past week the world seems to have forgotten that it's not just black lives that matter.

It's all lives that matter.

A bloke was murdered in the street by police while people looked on for 8 fucking minutes.

Society is still broken.

btw.

Police out there have guns, tasers and handcuffs, what is it with the knee?

I would suspect that most people who haven’t had to grow up with Institutional racism would find it very hard to truely relate to the feelings of those who have. The level of frustration and anger for those who have had to deal with it for generations must be huge and this is a bit like a pressure cooker blowing up at the moment.
For me I find it easier to relate to the issue when you take it a step further back and look at the whole issue as one of equality/discrimination. I have a tangible connection with those issues which I believe to be at the heart of the BLM movement.
That and people in positions of power using their position to manipulate and surpress as a means to keep their privalaged seat.

We are all created by the same forces that have made everything that we see hear and feel, to try and paint us as being fundamentally different in some way, to me, smells off.

While you lot debate the number of angels that you can get on the head of a pin.

Over the past week the world seems to have forgotten that it's not just black lives that matter.

A bloke was murdered in the street by police while people looked on for 8 fucking minutes.

Society is still broken.

btw.

No slaughtering here, Ken, just 100% agreement

Society is still broken.

btw.

you see it everywhere now tbh. when that lorry killed 80 in Nice you had people right after recording on their phones while the injured still needed help.

There is already enough hate and violence across the World from Religious divisions.
BLM is just another Complication...someone tried to tell me recently that people from India and Pakistan are not black...the mere fact that he felt that needed to be said was ridiculous....they are black but just from another continent...and also prone to receive prejudice in daily life. The guy who said it was Turkish, married to a Cornish woman.

Until the day that everyone in the World cross- pollinates and either ditches religion or shares the same one.....we will continue to have conflict....worse than of that between animals.
That will do for now....I woke up during the night and a still bit groggy from that.

We have players from all sorts of backgrounds and we don't know what their individual thoughts on the matter are. But if our players wish individually, or as group come to a consensus, that it's something they want to do - then I can respect that. And if not, then that's ok too, as it shouldn't be mandatory.

The club aren't exactly timid in their support for a wide variety of causes aimed at fostering equality and community. That's made harder by no longer having fans at the ground, but I'd be surprised if they don't already have something in mind for the match coverage.

i'm all for taking a knee and printed jerseys. even more so because of the statues/riots.

The fact is, as mentioned already, the riots and the statues are hogging the news. The actual issue - deep rooted societal inequality all over the world, not just the US and including here in the UK - is being given less airtime by media, public, politicians and policy makers than whether or not we should still have statues.

The facts about racial inequality are hard to argue against. Something needs done long term and properly. The protests which started peacefully have turned violent in some cases. I would suggest it is a huge minority of cases but the fact is that burning cars, graffiti and punching a copper make for better TV and print news.

So those who want to make their peaceful voices heard have two choices:
1. Give up and accept that the months of May/June 2020 will be remembered mostly as a running battle with police and presidents.
2. Make their voices even louder via more and more peaceful means and not give up making those voices infiltrate every aspect of our lives until something is actually done about it. If that means lobbying to get the peaceful movement recognised on MOTD then I'm OK with that.

So take a knee, go on a march, lobby politicians, join peaceful movements, challenge your employer on inequality in the workplace, speak out. Better than signing a bloody change.org petition or clicking like on facebook.

;