Bloody Huddersfield

For some reason my mind drifted to that very same penalty shootout today and Peter Shilton flopping onto the floor as the ball hit the net five times in a row behind him. Did that man ever save a pen?

Not actually much of a big deal...quite a few penalties have been missed since the idea came into the game in the 1800s.
The commentator said it was " incredible" ..Cardiff "couldnt believe it was given "... "once again Cardiff City are not punished from the penalty spot ! "
He is probably right...its happened a hundred times I guess over the years !
At the end of the day...and loads of tomorrows...its about ..
..What WE Do.. with 12 sets of 3 points available to us..and any penalties awarded to US !

I think I heard the announcer say Cardiff has had four pens against them this year, and given up no goals. 3 saves and today's miss.

I think I heard the announcer say Cardiff has had four pens against them this year, and given up no goals. 3 saves and today's miss.

From Cardiff’s game with our opponents tomorrow.

The score at the time was 2-0 to Cardiff.

BBC

Alan Browne's header forced Phillips into a save and, after Wilson brought down Preston substitute Anthony Gordon for a penalty, the Cardiff goalkeeper seized his moment in the limelight.

Phillips dived to his right to save from Gallagher, who followed up his shot but was beaten to the ball by Aden Flint - only for referee Simpson to point to the spot again and book the Cardiff defender.

This time Ched Evans stepped up and shot to the right but Phillips was equal to it again and roared with delight after twice keeping Preston at bay.

his penalty non-saving was an issue, he was atrocious

Deja view for me, my son played for Terry Wateridge’s academy side a few years ago and they were at a St George V pitch in Ferndown against Cardiff under 18’s. There was a penalty at 0-0 and my son was the only brave lad to nominate himself to take it. After a couple of gamesmanship tactics from their keeper and other players, he stepped up and put it just round the left post. In fact almost identical as last night. Exactly like the Huddersfield player he was taken off shortly afterwards.

Deja view for me, my son played for Terry Wateridge’s academy side a few years ago and they were at a St George V pitch in Ferndown against Cardiff under 18’s. There was a penalty at 0-0 and my son was the only brave lad to nominate himself to take it. After a couple of gamesmanship tactics from their keeper and other players, he stepped up and put it just round the left post. In fact almost identical as last night. Exactly like the Huddersfield player he was taken off shortly afterwards.

did he get a pizza advert contract?

his penalty non-saving was an issue, he was atrocious

Agree, this was highlighted by my Forest supporting Dad when I was growing up - transferMarkt has his record as saving 2/42 (Peter Shilton - Penalty statistics | Transfermarkt )

Out of interest I selected the keepers at the top 6 clubs in the Championship

Krul 8/55
Raya 5/29
Foster 12/64
Woodman 8/23
Rafael 3/19
Bego 4/47 (the worst by a distance of this group)

For context, I also looked at Ray Clemence (in case the percentage changed across eras) which was 5/48. However, the older stats may be dodgy as I looked up Paul Cooper, who saved 8 out of 10 in 79/80, but transfermarkt only has him down as 2/10. These stats don't distinguish between saves and penalties off-target, although you could argue that players try and go nearer the corner against a better keeper increasing your chances of missing.

A couple of random (potentially interesting(???) facts) about the England - Germany 1990 World Cup semi-final .

Dave Beasant wasn't on the bench for this - a lot of people would have swapped out Shilton for Beasant (4/40) if this was an option as Shilton was poor at penalties, but we were only allowed 5 subs and didn't name a keeper.

I missed the bulk of this game unloading flowers at Hurn airport with a certain Neil Dawson (hello Neil!) which guaranteed us work for the entire summer. We were called in for the penalty shootout and the TV picture died leaving us to listen to the TV commentary.

Sorry - this was longer than intended, when I could have just said - Yes, Shilton was rubbish at penalties!

great keeper tho - a hero of mine when I was young.

Agree, this was highlighted by my Forest supporting Dad when I was growing up - transferMarkt has his record as saving 2/42 (Peter Shilton - Penalty statistics | Transfermarkt )

Out of interest I selected the keepers at the top 6 clubs in the Championship

Krul 8/55
Raya 5/29
Foster 12/64
Woodman 8/23
Rafael 3/19
Bego 4/47 (the worst by a distance of this group)

For context, I also looked at Ray Clemence (in case the percentage changed across eras) which was 5/48. However, the older stats may be dodgy as I looked up Paul Cooper, who saved 8 out of 10 in 79/80, but transfermarkt only has him down as 2/10. These stats don't distinguish between saves and penalties off-target, although you could argue that players try and go nearer the corner against a better keeper increasing your chances of missing.

A couple of random (potentially interesting(???) facts) about the England - Germany 1990 World Cup semi-final .

Dave Beasant wasn't on the bench for this - a lot of people would have swapped out Shilton for Beasant (4/40) if this was an option as Shilton was poor at penalties, but we were only allowed 5 subs and didn't name a keeper.

I missed the bulk of this game unloading flowers at Hurn airport with a certain Neil Dawson (hello Neil!) which guaranteed us work for the entire summer. We were called in for the penalty shootout and the TV picture died leaving us to listen to the TV commentary.

Sorry - this was longer than intended, when I could have just said - Yes, Shilton was rubbish at penalties!

What about Mark Crossley? Even saved a Fat Le Tissier pen didn't he?

;