Boro - The verdict.

I’ve never changed my mind from day one. Once he has the job though you can’t state definitively whether he is good or bad until he has had a fair amount of time. That doesn’t change my opinion of how I think it will go
Only a page ago you stated definitely he was an over promoted coach. Sheer hypocrisy.

Oh, and I wanted Gary Monk but I think we should give JT time.

Where are we? North Korea?

The Our Jason brigade said choosing him was the only decision because he understood the squad intimately and could hit the ground running the only option apparently in the short covid summer. Couldn’t have an experienced manager because it would take time and time we did not have!!

Now it’s ‘he was always going to need more time’ ‘new to the job’ etc etc.

Hilarious! Some of you need to make your minds up. Anyway... the penny will drop soon.

Please don't go down that sad route of nonsense like 'the penny will soon drop', Neil. You are better than that.

He was always going to need some time to get his thoughts across UNLESS he played exactly the same way as Eddie did. Which he isn't. Which is something you should be backing, going by what you have said about Eddie these last few seasons?

My main point about JT, is that we shouldn't be judging him on a game by game basis.

Please don't go down that sad route of nonsense like 'the penny will soon drop', Neil. You are better than that.

He was always going to need some time to get his thoughts across UNLESS he played exactly the same way as Eddie did. Which he isn't. Which is something you should be backing, going by what you have said about Eddie these last few seasons?

My main point about JT, is that we shouldn't be judging him on a game by game basis.
All managers get judged on a game by game basis. The point is not to judge their career success on a game by game basis which I don’t think anyone is. I haven’t seen anything yet to change my mind that you don’t promote from within following a period of stale failure but will be happy to correct that in May if the case.

All managers get judged on a game by game basis. The point is not to judge their career success on a game by game basis which I don’t think anyone is. I haven’t seen anything yet to change my mind that you don’t promote from within following a period of stale failure but will be happy to correct that in May if the case.

Neil, that is disappointing to hear from you. It means we get to look forward to endless posts from you, just happily jumping on your pre-existing belief that JT will fail.

Well you wouldn’t play a central three and three at the back. You’d play 4-3-3.

Exactly! Some posters have been calling for three in the middle and I just wanted to know from those posters what type of team selection they would be looking for when JT appears at this early point in time to have settled on three at the back!

I was expecting us to beat Boro to be honest. They have been in shocking form tail end of the season, and haven't added. 'tough place to go' bit of a cliche, doubt there will have ever been a better time to play them! for watever reason, we just didnt perform as expected, whether thats down to them or us, I honestly can't say.

Might simply have been down to 2 great saves by their keeper?

Exactly! Some posters have been calling for three in the middle and I just wanted to know from those posters what type of team selection they would be looking for when JT appears at this early point in time to have settled on three at the back!
Since JT appears to want to play 3 at the back then I would suggest 352. Personally I prefer 433, but either gives us 3 in the centre of midfield to enable a possession based style of play.

You only have to see how Groves conspired to a dreadful start in league 1 despite having a budget 90% plus of the teams could only have dreamed of. Just outside relegation with the money we were spending on wages/transfers... abysmal.

Actually, the mention of Groves is a good one since I think that's the most comparable situation.

An expensively assembled squad that should be good enough to get automatic promotion but need a big uplift in morale alongside a tactical formation that will utilise them best.

The main differences are that when EH took that team over he had to get instant results since about 20% of the season was already gone and we'd given the other teams a nice fat headstart. Plus EH didn't have a proper transfer window to work with until January, only managing to bring in one loan.

JT has the whole season to get the points allied to a (short) preseason to prepare the players along with a whole transfer window in which to bring in a couple or three of his targets.

However, it's fair to say there's a bit more margin for error in L1 in that some of the coaches aren't as good and neither are the players so more mistakes could be made in matches and got away with.

If JT takes the team up I'd probably rank it alongside the L1 promotion season from EH.

So what EH did was 'simply remarkable' but JT's task is 'much simpler'? I really disagree. Its going to take a long time to shake off the 'Its Eddies team' if he does well, but as you can tell from the experts on here, only one disappointing result and they're on his back.

Yes, those two seasons from EH were remarkable and in comparison to those JT's task is much simpler. That doesn't mean I'm saying it's easy. When you hold a manager's task against what I consider to be the two greatest management performances in the club's 100+ years history you aren't saying the new guy has a sure thing on his hands. However, I was responding to someone saying JT getting this team up would put those seasons in the shadow which I would say is nonsense.

I've actually put some further perspective by saying taking this team back up this season would rank, for me, alongside the L1 promotion season under EH.

Tindall has implemented a new system that the defenders in particular need to adapt to, I doubt many of them have played 5 at the back for a decent stint in their careers so they will take time to learn the role.

The key is how Tindall reacts to a disappointing performance yesterday.

For example picking the best individuals does not equal best team and was something Eddie took flack for. Smith is not a LWB (with Danjuma also on the left we lack balance with 2 right footers), Rico comes in from the start and make a call between Stacey and Smith.

We haven’t seen a lot of midfield linking the attack up, particularly yesterday we were very direct. This more often than not means a turnover of possession as we don’t win the long ball, and then our midfield 2 can be played around quite easily (Blackburn particularly did this well in the second half). Tindall will hopefully reflect on this and adapt.

I think eventually we will evolve to a 4-3-3, particularly if King sticks around, ideally with Brooks as an advanced midfielder who can join the play.

I have my reservations, but let’s give Tindall some time and see how he learns before being too hard.

Yes, those two seasons from EH were remarkable and in comparison to those JT's task is much simpler. That doesn't mean I'm saying it's easy. When you hold a manager's task against what I consider to be the two greatest management performances in the club's 100+ years history you aren't saying the new guy has a sure thing on his hands. However, I was responding to someone saying JT getting this team up would put those seasons in the shadow which I would say is nonsense.

I've actually put some further perspective by saying taking this team back up this season would rank, for me, alongside the L1 promotion season under EH.
I didn't say it would put those seasons in the shadow, and you know I didn't......but I stick by what I really said......JT getting us up to the PL this season would be a greater achievement imo..........because again imo it's not going to happen

JT may have inherited a squad that "as individuals are exceptional at Championship level" but the simple fact is that 6 of the best have since left with no replacements. We are also likely to lose King, so that is 7 gone out of our 25 man squad from last year.

I give you Ake, Fraser and Wilson are the best.

Out of Francis, Surman and Daniels I think only the latter had a chance of being a starter this season. Surman barely feature last year and I think time was up for SF as well. They may have still been in our PL squad but only as emergency backup. Daniels may yet still rejoin, that's JT's call.

Kelly appears to have been bought as either the replacement for Ake or Daniels, depending where you see his long term future. Ditto Danjuma with Fraser. So two of the lost players were replaced a year ago giving them time to bed into the squad.

I absolutely concur that Wilson and, presumably, King are big losses to the squad but I'm of a mind there will be a new striker arriving before the window shuts. As one of the local media chaps said, judge the squad and the backing the manager has received when the window closes.

I didn't say it would put those seasons in the shadow, and you know I didn't......but I stick by what I really said......JT getting us up to the PL this season would be a greater achievement imo..........because again imo it's not going to happen

Absolutely, it wasn't a direct quote but the wording that popped into my head when replying. However, it's semantics amounting to roughly the same thing since those are held as the high water mark achievements from an AFCB manager. If you supplant them you push them off the pedestal.

I don’t remember heading into the 2012/13 season thinking this squad is the best I’ve ever seen and will take us into the second tier for the first time in my time of watching.

Perhaps some believed the hype. Howe’s promotion that season was vastly underrated, lost in a series of impossible achievements.

We will compete with the top 6.
Our squad is in the top 6 on quality but certainly not the best, our next opponents in the league have a team better suited to going straight back up. Next Sunday is the real test.
Yesterday was a good point in the end. We need to find our best 11 and formation very quickly and try and stick with.

Its early days and in any season at this point results aren't everything, let alone when trying to suss out a new manager. You look for performances to be indicative of the season to come. Performances tell you more than results alone.

Let a lead slip to a draw late on having shown promising signs? That's ok! Over the season it'll be sorted. Do so playing that crap however, and it's worrying. Hope JT learned something that he can use to improve against Norwich, cos we'll need it.

We will compete with the top 6.
Our squad is in the top 6 on quality but certainly not the best, our next opponents in the league have a team better suited to going straight back up. Next Sunday is the real test.
Yesterday was a good point in the end. We need to find our best 11 and formation very quickly and try and stick with.
That is partly my point.......we had supposedly the best ever Boscombe squad last season,....we got relegated.....some on here reckon we have if not the best, one of the best squads in the Championship.....but individual players count for nothing if you can't get them playing as a team.....early days I know, and I would love to have my thoughts and opinions rammed well and truly down my throat...:grinning:

I don’t remember heading into the 2012/13 season thinking this squad is the best I’ve ever seen and will take us into the second tier for the first time in my time of watching.

Perhaps some believed the hype. Howe’s promotion that season was vastly underrated, lost in a series of impossible achievements.

We were spending substantialy more money than anyone in the division.

A serious promotion challenge was expected, groves/managerial appointment nearly f**ked it up.

It was an amazing achievement how Eddie pulled it off despite being way behind in october.

;