Boxing Day Memories

ErikthViking

UTC Legend
Since their is no football becuase the yellow-livered boys of Millwall are frightened of a deadly little virus. I mean, I ask you? What is the worst that can happen?

Anyway, with the lack of footy today we might as well skip the day completely. After all what is Boxing Day without Footy? All those times watching Boscombe on hair-of-the-dog day. Seeing as we can't get a live fix, how about reminiscing about Boxing Days past?

What about the Battle Of Brighton, '71? The 3-0 win in the mud over Brissle at the Azteca Twerton Park in '86? Or the back-to-back one-nil wins at our fiercest and traditional local rivals home ground of Filbert Street?

I will have a little tale to tell later on. But now, come one, come all. Spill your memories and not your drinks and let's share the Yuletide gift that is AFCB.

The day after that 3-0 win at Bristol Rovers was a 3-2 home win against Fulham.
Mark Newson had to play upfront and scored.
The start of a run which saw us not lose till late February.
Was pretty hammered in The Richmond in Charmy after that Fulham game.

The one that sticks out for me is Oxford 1 “Defoemouth” 2 in his first spell with us, proper football ground, terraced away end, freezing cold he scored a belter in the first half then that run and chip in front of the travelling fans for the winner in the second half. One of my favourite seasons as a league 1 side

Where do you start. Boxing Day is always the best football fixture of the season - so forgive me for being mightily pissed off today. I fondly remember all those you mention there. The second 1-0 at Leicester was a good one. Early start, hangovers dispelled by a goal from our former messiah Colin Clarke - back on loan. Luther Blisset running them ragged. Until our winning the Championship and our spell in the PL that was our best ever season.
Despite the kick off time we managed to get a few beers in on the way back. Good day out all round.
One that sticks in my mind is a 1-0 win at Aldershot in 1979, Mick Butler winner - but the real bonus was having tickets to see Blondie play at the old Chelsea Village in a pre tour warm up gig. My mate had arranged the gig and it had been top secret until just beforehand. Now that was some Boxing Day.............................Beat Aldershot away and see Debbie Harry. Today its EFL on Quest without AFCB and the pubs are shut.:(

Where do you start. Boxing Day is always the best football fixture of the season - so forgive me for being mightily pissed off today. I fondly remember all those you mention there. The second 1-0 at Leicester was a good one. Early start, hangovers dispelled by a goal from our former messiah Colin Clarke - back on loan. Luther Blisset running them ragged. Until our winning the Championship and our spell in the PL that was our best ever season.
Despite the kick off time we managed to get a few beers in on the way back. Good day out all round.
One that sticks in my mind is a 1-0 win at Aldershot in 1979, Mick Butler winner - but the real bonus was having tickets to see Blondie play at the old Chelsea Village in a pre tour warm up gig. My mate had arranged the gig and it had been top secret until just beforehand. Now that was some Boxing Day.............................Beat Aldrshot away and see Debbie Harry. Today its EFL on Quest without AFCB and the pubs are shut.

I did exactly the same thing that day.
Kin'ell, 41 years ago.

I can't remember specific results..but it was always a Southern club we played...a very excited and derby-like atmosphere...
...one year, 63 i think, i'd had my first transistor radio as a present with 'earplugs' and it fitted into a large pocket of a new real sheepskin jacket...programme in the other pocket...I knew everything that was going on elsewhere with that little radio..drove dad nuts with constant 'bulletins' throughout the afternoon!
Great days.

I can't clearly remember the year but we drove up to Port Vale for a morning kick off, stopped at West Brom for an afternoon kick off before a visit to Coventry for an evening kick off.

This may well be a false memory, but didn't we win 3-2 at home to Brentford in the early 70's. Belting Boxing Day game where we came from 2-0 down?

Also, wasn't "Jingle Bells" a Watford Boxing Day game?

This may well be a false memory, but didn't we win 3-2 at home to Brentford in the early 70's. Belting Boxing Day game where we came from 2-0 down?

Also, wasn't "Jingle Bells" a Watford Boxing Day game?
1972, goals from Boyer, Groves and Clarke. 14,372 official attendance.

A 2-1 win at Millwall was a cracker in 1998. Mark Stein getting the winner. Now that was great, spoiling Boxing Day for the Millwall fans - not amused as you might imagine

Just realised that we have played Plymouth or Reading very few times on Boxing Day. Perhaps that's just as well, I can't recall wining any of them.

The 2-0 home loss in that gale in 2003 springs to mind. We had the wind and the referee against us that day.

;