Brave New World

ErikthViking

UTC Legend
"By mutual consent" usually means a club has sacked the manager and he has agreed to go quietly. In this case, although without any evidence, of course, do we think that this was the case? Did Max Demin or anyone with any influence want to see Eddie go? He got us to the Premier League for the first time and would have been well-placed to do so again.

It is quite obvious that the vast majority of supporters on this site, at least, are shocked and saddened that Eddie has gone. Even some of those who questioned his methods and tactics this season or transfer policy in general were for change under Eddie Howe's leadership not without him.

No-one knows what made Eddie decide to leave. Who has the slightest clue as to why he was allowed to. Although we may find out in time, there is no point in speculating. The decision is done and dusted. Move on.

So here we are, in the second division for only the sixth season in our history. Relegation was a set-back, but not a disaster. Tinpot Bournemouth are still punching above their weight.

What do we want now? In my view, it is simple: a return to expansive, fearless attacking football. Remember when we used to sing, "we score when we want?" For that we need a manager who is passionate, determined, never-say-die and who can inspire the players to feel the same and do so for a whole season. Whoever that person is, and whoever runs out in a red and black shirt, they should have our 100% backing and, when we are allowed to, our complete vocal support.

It may not be a running start, we may have to be patient, but in the right hands we will see the good times again.

It's a brave new world and I can't wait for 12th of September.

Isn’t mutual consent a way of agreeing no compensation due to either party?

I mean if he walked while under contract, we would be entitled to compensation should he take another job before it expired. Had he been pushed, of course we would be obliged to pay off the rest of his contract.

I’m certainly in the change with Eddie rather than without camp but I do feel it could be a chance to build something special again. Of course we know which way it could go but we’ve had enough doom and gloom for now.

Yes I agree a return to fearless attacking football is what we need. It might not be the most efficient way of getting promotion, but getting the fans to start enjoying football again, especially when we are allowed back, is key to building momentum again.

This 'by mutual consent' thingy has always intrigued me. One of the parties must have suggested the idea that Eddie has to go first. Either Eddie said "Look boss, I can't do anymore, time for me to leave" or the board said "Look Eddie we think you have taken us as far as you can, time for you to leave". Somebody had to speak first.

I never bought into this "change under Eddie" idea that all he needed was some unnamed experienced coach who would miraculously solve all of our problems.

Firstly it's easier said than done yet nobody could ever give any examples of where it did actually work beyond some tenuous link to Man United under fergie.

Secondly if Eddie did actually need this yet hadn't realised then it is his failing and one he had to change himself rather than have it imposed on him.

Maybe they tried to impose some sort of change and the inevitable outcome occurred.

By mutual consent ,surely means he is paid of with the remains of his contract, rather than if he walked out he would get nothing ?

I never bought into this "change under Eddie" idea that all he needed was some unnamed experienced coach who would miraculously solve all of our problems.
There’s a difference to what we as fans would like to happen and what is actually feasible.

Also wanting “change under Eddie” is not necessarily the same as wanting “an unnamed experienced coach”. Now that might be part of some change but I think it’s not an accurate representation of the views of all the fans who wanted Eddie to stay.

Every clubs fans want their team and manager to be better no matter how successful they are.

There’s a difference to what we as fans would like to happen and what is actually feasible.

Also wanting “change under Eddie” is not necessarily the same as wanting “an unnamed experienced coach”. Now that might be part of some change but I think it’s not an accurate representation of the views of all the fans who wanted Eddie to stay.

Every clubs fans want their team and manager to be better no matter how successful they are.

Of course we all wanted him, and by extension the team, to improve but there was a significant amount of people saying he needed an experienced coach to presumably teach him about tactics and player mentalities at the top level.

My argument with this was always that he needed to decide what changes were required and if he wasn't able make these changes and improve things he needed to go. You can't impose things on football managers.

By mutual consent normally means the manager is willing to leave but not without some mutually agreed resolution, not necessarily no money or all of it, just a fair amount. Plus it's a nicer no blame approach which means he can come back for third stint.

'Change with' is possible, but if you believe the addage of "one game at a time" it's hard to make quick and fundamental changes in football and importantly get perspective in order to set out a new vision that can guide you. That's why new signings are most often the best way of delivering step change, much like Bruno Fernandes at Man U, rather than coaching a new style over time.

Going forward, you have to ask why JT and Purches got their UEFA Pro license if they don't have the desire for the job. The pro licence, which they earned in more recent years, gives them experiences away from AFCB which is what Eddie needs. Much better had he taken a progressive year off for belated paternity leave, and come back after travelling the world studying different styles and approaches. JT and Purches for me deserve a shot to see if they can do the job. I have never, however well we got on, agreed with my boss entirely, so let's see what they can do with a pretty decent crop in what should be an easier Championship than normal.

And so we are clear, we never lost our attacking flair so I've no issues with backroom stepping up. Unfortunately, the Premier League is constantly evolving and other teams just found more ways of adapting to our players who they had studied. The nuances of remaining won't be so familiar and the defenders won't be as quick or technical, so we can expect Dom and Sam to more than replace what we had, so long as one of them is patient and spots the space off the ball, rather than being drawn in.

One area that does need addressing is referees. I don't think the refs are at fault but they are human. Always difficult viewing your own club, but feels like we got a lot more 50:50s go against us. I wonder if the players, certain moaners etc have contributed to making themselves unpopular despite Eddie never criticising decisions. Or do we need to get some ex pro refs in to help players avoid needless infringements that have cost us. Could make a difference over a season??

Counting the days, can't wait.

;