Brentford- The verdict.

FULLBACKS!

Where were our fullbacks?
We constantly tried to play through the middle, but to no avail (once Brentford shut the door after 5 minutes).
Did either of our fullbacks do ANYTHING attacking-related in the entire game?
Was there a single ball into the box from either of them?
You can't win against teams like Brentford if your fullbacks don't attack.
I realize Stacey is injured but I thought that around 60 min it might have been useful to bring on Rico (ideally at the same time as Surridge) as he at least would have whipped some crosses in.

[edit: just remembered that Kelly assisted Solanke's goal. Which does impact my argument. But apart from the aqueducts, what has Lloyd Kelly ever done for AFCB? Seriously though apart from that I can't remember anything]

Having witnessed three Bournemouth teams achieve automatic promotion in my lifetime I have to say that unfortunately this does not feel like I’m watching a team that will be promoted automatically. Plenty of quality for sure, but something not quite right in terms of mentality. As a poster alluded to above, we either seem to be very good or totally ineffective, there is very little in between. We lack the nous and game management to seriously challenge come the end of the season. You just knew that when we missed those two chances early on that it would come back to bite us, if this was the 2014/15 team then you’d bank your house on them to create countless more, but this team it doesn’t feel like that. Apart from game management the biggest difference in quality between this team and the 14/15 side is the full backs, our current full backs are a long long way off Francis and Daniels from that year. It’s our weak area tbh, both defensively and offensively.
I think you got it spot on , we are not quite there yet. We play good football but lack that snap to beat the sides we are up against. To many draws against sides we should be beating. There is something missing, that aggression & lack of penetration . As you stated lack of game management.

You haven’t offended me, I just find it slightly bizarre that what is quite clearly quite an old 9guy (no offence) cannot stop referring to me. I’m sure there are websites where older gentleman can hook up with younger men but I’m afraid I’m not really into that. And as for your offer to rub me down with a wet lettuce leaf goes, I like it kinky but that is a waste of a good vegetable so I will pass.
I wouldn't mind a go.... better than wearing a glove and pretending I with someone else

This talk of that performance not being good enough in comparison to the times we've been promoted in the past is silly. We got humped at Brentford in our "greatest ever season" in a performance several times worse than last night. I thought we were the better side yesterday and you certainly couldn't say that about the 2015 game.

Twist or bust...............80mins on the clock, do we shut up shop and take the 1-1 or still attack and get caught with a break away goal, seeing that we hadn't mustered a shot in the second half, maybe take the draw was correct answer, but hey ho at least it was a good game and Brentford deserved the points in the end.

Ethan Pinnock was superb.

Think the team need consistent performers. If you add up those who think you can get a 90% level out of every game ?..... well not many.
Our promotion sides of the past had enough constant performers to drag those along who were having an off spell.

Hopefully it’s something to work on and I truly think that, with this generally young bunch, if we are in a position with 10 games to go that the carrot is well and truely visible on the end of the stick then they will focus and produce.

Having slept on it and a few beers !
The game changed at half time. 1st half was 2 good teams going toe to toe. With any luck we would have been 3-0 up before Brentford got out of the blocks. 1-1 at half time, flattered them a bit.
Second half Brentford set up very differently, played deeper, knew we could cut them open if they pushed forward. Basically they had settled for a point but hoped for a break - which is what happened. We were left with the old conundrum of how to score against a 10 man defence camped in the last 35 yards. We will have to do that a lot because teams are frightened by us.
Credit the Brentford manager for his change in tactics, I thought our subs were a bit poor. JT fell for the old EH shortcoming of throwing on forwards while having no creative midfielders to get the ball to them. If Neil Dawson was on here he would be quite rightly blasting us out for that.
Not too downhearted because we will be there or thereabouts at the end of a long season.
I still can't make my mind up about Kelly, some very poor moments in defence but what a ball in for Solankes goal.
One big plus was that you would never have known their superstar Toney was anything to rave about. Superbly marshalled by Cooke and Simpson - he ended up playing the second half so deep he could have been an extra centre half.

Twist or bust...............80mins on the clock, do we shut up shop and take the 1-1 or still attack and get caught with a break away goal, seeing that we hadn't mustered a shot in the second half, maybe take the draw was correct answer, but hey ho at least it was a good game and Brentford deserved the points in the end.

Ethan Pinnock was superb.

it’s because we don’t settle for a point and still go for it that I have loved the last 10 years or so watching afcb under Eddie and now JT.

Having slept on it and a few beers !
The game changed at half time. 1st half was 2 good teams going toe to toe. With any luck we would have been 3-0 up before Brentford got out of the blocks. 1-1 at half time, flattered them a bit.
Second half Brentford set up very differently, played deeper, knew we could cut them open if they pushed forward. Basically they had settled for a point but hoped for a break - which is what happened. We were left with the old conundrum of how to score against a 10 man defence camped in the last 35 yards. We will have to do that a lot because teams are frightened by us.
Credit the Brentford manager for his change in tactics, I thought our subs were a bit poor. JT fell for the old EH shortcoming of throwing on forwards while having no creative midfielders to get the ball to them. If Neil Dawson was on here he would be quite rightly blasting us out for that.
Not too downhearted because we will be there or thereabouts at the end of a long season.
I still can't make my mind up about Kelly, some very poor moments in defence but what a ball in for Solankes goal.
One big plus was that you would never have known their superstar Toney was anything to rave about. Superbly marshalled by Cooke and Simpson - he ended up playing the second half so deep he could have been an extra centre half.

Good summary. It was incredibly frustrating because we played quite well and gave them the game with terrible marking on a couple of crosses.

I only heard it on a radio commentary...it sounded like Dasilva had the ball all to himself...whoever our playmaker was.. he was outdone by Dasilva.
Norwich have got two like that..Cantwell and Bthingy..like when we had Arter, Ritchie and Kermorgant....
Missing Links.. Linking up Play being the operative thing...and the old chestnut of Leadership...needed when we went 1 up...to quell the inevitable fight back.
Others have mentioned Game Management..also very relevant...and it all feeds the Team Spirit.

it’s because we don’t settle for a point and still go for it that I have loved the last 10 years or so watching afcb under Eddie and now JT.

Quite so, but how many games did we lose taking that altitude, for the sake on one point we would be in the PL.

Sheff Utd last year, took an early lead, after a few chances, they score a scrappy goal just before H/T. tried to win the game second half, only to be caught with a soft goal 5mins from the end......

Good individual players in the most part ,but not a team?
Smith good attacking play but poor defending ,Brooks supposed to help out in that area when opposition attacks never there,Kelly not great at defending or attacking (one good effort last night) and then there’s the disinterested King.The team can’t function effectively if 4 players are suspect in their respective roles and duties,

...we look like we flatter to deceive in lots of ways....yes we have talented individuals who are some of the top players at this level. I do think that one or two of our lot feel that they are better than they are and when on the ball take too much time with a twist, turn, or dribble when more incisive and quick thinking/passing/shooting is required..I love watching us play but it is irritating sometmes when a player either doesn't shoot when he should or doesn't pass when he should...player intelligence is key to being a top player and it frustrates me that Brooks...Solanke...Danjuma...Stanislas...make the misplaced pass or get robbed on the ball because they are not quick enough on the draw!

I only heard it on a radio commentary...it sounded like Dasilva had the ball all to himself...whoever our playmaker was.. he was outdone by Dasilva.
Norwich have got two like that..Cantwell and Bthingy..like when we had Arter, Ritchie and Kermorgant....
Missing Links.. Linking up Play being the operative thing...and the old chestnut of Leadership...needed when we went 1 up...to quell the inevitable fight back.
Others have mentioned Game Management..also very relevant...and it all feeds the Team Spirit.
Is Jack Wilshere the missing link?

Quite so, but how many games did we lose taking that altitude, for the sake on one point we would be in the PL.

Sheff Utd last year, took an early lead, after a few chances, they score a scrappy goal just before H/T. tried to win the game second half, only to be caught with a soft goal 5mins from the end......

Agree different when in a relegation scrap. I think the no 1 issue was attitude of some key players last season though that took us down.

Let’s not forget we played really well for long spells away at a team in great form and confidence. Result could have gone either way.

;