Brentford v AFC Bournemouth - Championship Semi-Final 2nd Leg

billythekid

UTC Legend
The referee for this game is Jarred Gillett.

We had him earlier this season for our away defeat 2-1 against Brentford.

Also away against Coventry City & Birmingham City, both 1-3 wins and Preston 1-1 draw.

Which Team Will Be Going To Wembley?

In the first game at Dean Court on Monday in a tight game with both set of defences playing well, AFCB were unlucky to lose Steve Cook after 45 mins due to injury. In the second half after 55 minutes, the Cherries had a breakaway move with the final pass nicely executed by David Brooks to find Arnaut Danjuma who coolly slotted the ball into the far corner of the Brentford net to put our side into the lead. That goal in the end was the only goal of the game. Another player to be substituted because of injury was Ben Pearson in the 72nd minute. Both sides will commence battle again on Saturday at 12.30 pm at Brentford’s ground in front of around 4,000 home fans this time, the game is live on Sky.

In their last play-off semi-final last season Brentford played Swansea City over the two legs. As with our game against them, Brentford’s first game was away in Wales at the Liberty Stadium and the result was a 1-0 win for Swansea City (same as at Dean Court on Monday). Back at home Brentford won 3-1 and went through 3-2 on aggregate to face Fulham in the final.

In the 2014-15 season in the Championship semi-final, Brentford had to play Middlesbrough, the first leg was at home and Brentford lost 1-2. Away at Middlesbrough in the second leg the home side won 3-0, to give Middlesbrough an aggregate of 5-1.

Brentford this season at home in their last four games drew the first two, 0-0 against Millwall and 1-1 with Cardiff City. In their last two games they beat Rotherham United 1-0 and in their last home game they beat Championship runners up (for the second time) Watford 2-0. Brentford’s last four away games in the 46 game Championship season was better with 3 wins and a draw.

In all away league games against Brentford, AFCB have W 9, D 19, L 23.

All competitions, AFCB have W 39, D 32, L 40.

Brentford Team News
They had both Henrik Dalsgaard and Rico Henry back after a time out injured, both came on as subs at Dean Court and might start on Saturday.

Brentford Player To Watch
Even though our defence had him well marked again, Ivor Toney will be a real threat on his own ground in front of their fans where he has scored 15 of his 31 goals in the Championship.

AFCB Team News
Injury news, Steve Cook (knee) and Ben Pearson (hip), could both be available for this important game.

AFCB Player To Watch
Again our main threat is our leading scorer this season Arnaut Danjuma. David Brooks had a good game in midfield on Monday in which he assisted for the goal. Our defending will be key in this game, so hope S C is back to partner CC-V.

...with what looked like a serious problem I don't think that Steve will make it into the team for Saturday...we do have an international defender to replace him and we should show some faith in him to do a good job on the Brentford attack.
I hope that we press them and the longer we keep them at bay the more pressure will build on them...I think that we will score so they will need two goals at least IMO...we have drawn so many matches (too many) this season but I will take another one on Saturday :)

Hoping for as much as excitement as our last playoff semi 2nd leg, but with the right outcome! I'll never forget that night, especially as I wet myself a little when Steve Lovell channeled his inner Ronaldo to equalise :eek!::bow:

Steve Lovell's goal, and the following celebrations will forever be up there with the best AFCB moments... This video was taking from almost my standing spot as well... great memories... Pretty rubbish drive home mind...

Re Saturday, we need to trust in Meps to do the simple things and the right things... Be physical when called upon and be sensible when in doubt... I don't think Cookie will make this game.

I think we absolutely will need to score at least one goal, and my fear is that we concede in the first 5 mins, not only making it level again, but giving Brentford the call to arms and signalling the 'CHARGE'... It is essential that we see out the onslaught that will be the first 10-15...

What a game it promises to be on Saturday.

I am feeling really optimistic. If we take our chances like the other night there will be gaps to exploit.

I think we'll win 1-3 with two late goals as they push forward.

Considering they finished 3rd I don't think they had many dangerous players. They looked a bit average. Still, with home advantage it could be a little tougher.

The last time we played at their ground back in December.

Possession

Brentford 46% - AFCB 54%

Shots

Brentford 16 - AFCB 11

On target

Brentford 8 - AFCB 6

...with what looked like a serious problem I don't think that Steve will make it into the team for Saturday...we do have an international defender to replace him and we should show some faith in him to do a good job on the Brentford attack.
I hope that we press them and the longer we keep them at bay the more pressure will build on them...I think that we will score so they will need two goals at least IMO...we have drawn so many matches (too many) this season but I will take another one on Saturday :)
That's the beauty of having the 1-0 lead in my opinion.

Any kind of score draw sees us go through at the expense of Brentford.
Whether that's 0-0, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 it's all gravy.

I could well see this ending 1-1 or 2-2 which fortunately will not be quite enough for Brentford !

:utc:

During the first half of the first leg I thought they looked quite ordinary. After conceding and making some substitutions they suddenly looked a more potent force. I do think they have more attacking options throughout their squad than we do.

Perfect scenario for me would be a cagey start by both teams, a goal by us around 30 minutes, and then hold to the half. If we are up by 2 starting the second half, it will be a crazy ride as they will throw everything at us and we will have a few chances on the break (which I would hope we will look for rather than just sitting back).

JW's selection and set-up will be key if we are without S. Cook, Pearson and Stan.

They looked more dangerous when they brought Henry on, and will be tough if they have him for 90 minutes.

It’s my birthday Saturday so the only present I want is for us to get through
Oh hang on a minute I would also consider large amounts of cash
:utc::cheers::bday:
I really, really, really, really want us to reach the playoff final. Really ! :p

After being shut out for so long it would be fantastic for our fans to be able to take a decent number to Wembley. It would just be a great day out, whatever the outcome and would be some compensation for everything you have all missed out on in recent times.

It would be a great opportunity to show JW and the team some love and get that bond back. I really, really, really, really hope that we can make it happen :p

The Jury may be still out on Woodgate but my god is Thomas Frank an odious little man.....i don't know how the Brentford fans can listen to him tbh.......loving his talk abut them attacking us on Saturday though.....please god let that happen ....we'll absolutely batter them .....our team was assembled to be a counter attacking team to combat the threat of the Premier League's top six... not poxy Brentford.

FFS we destroyed Chelsea 4-0 with about 30% possession!.....it's the reason why we did the double over Norwich and took 4 points off Watford whilst losing to the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Derby this season.......we don't need to press them just keep our shape and hit them hard on the counter.......like us they struggle against teams who sit deep.....the beauty of having a goal advantage is that Brentford will be forced to play a game that absolutely suits us......i mean if Brentford can go all out attack against us and still stop us scoring then fair play they must be an incredible team....it's just not going to happen imo.

Our game plan is very simple ....sit back .....let their Centre backs have the ball and let Lerma and Pearson do what they do best which is to break up play...deny their midfield any time on the ball and of course employ their mastery of the dark arts....and then let our front 4 destroy them on the counter.

The Jury may be still out on Woodgate but my god is Thomas Frank an odious little man.....i don't know how the Brentford fans can listen to him tbh.......loving his talk abut them attacking us on Saturday though.....please god let that happen ....we'll absolutely batter them .....our team was assembled to be a counter attacking team to combat the threat of the Premier League's top six... not poxy Brentford.

FFS we destroyed Chelsea 4-0 with about 30% possession!.....it's the reason why we did the double over Norwich and took 4 points off Watford whilst losing to the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Derby this season.......we don't need to press them just keep our shape and hit them hard on the counter.......like us they struggle against teams who sit deep.....the beauty of having a goal advantage is that Brentford will be forced to play a game that absolutely suits us......i mean if Brentford can go all out attack against us and still stop us scoring then fair play they must be an incredible team....it's just not going to happen imo.

Our game plan is very simple ....sit back .....let their Centre backs have the ball and let Lerma and Pearson do what they do best which is to break up play...deny their midfield any time on the ball and of course employ their mastery of the dark arts....and then let our front 4 destroy them on the counter.
...Yes I would be really happy to make Frank's day totally miserable!

;