Brentford v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Can AFCB Stop The Bees Buzzing?

The Cherries visit Brentford (The Bees) who have a new ground called the Brentford Community Stadium with a capacity of 17,250. It’s situated near Kew Bridge station and just under a mile from Griffin Park. The first league game played there was against Huddersfield Town in September. This will be our first game since our away draw at Luton eleven days ago. With our home game against Millwall postponed, this will be the Cherries second away game in succession. The Bees are unbeaten in 14 league games, 8 at home. Wednesday’s evening game is Live on Sky Sports at 5 pm for 5.30 pm kickoff.

They have a Danish manager, Thomas Frank who has been in charge since October 2018. In his first season in charge Brentford finished in 11th place in the Championship Table. Last season Brentford finished in 3rd place and in a play-off spot, they lost out to fellow London club Fulham in the final.

In the Summer they signed four players and brought two more in on loan. Of the four signed, one player stands out as a very good signing in Ivan Toney a free scoring forward signed from Peterborough United for a bargain £5 million, he scored 24 goals for Peterborough in League 1 last season. Two players on undisclosed fees, defender Charlie Goode from Northampton Town and midfielder Vitaly Janelt from Bochum. On a free transfer midfielder Paris Maghoma from Spurs.

At home this season Brentford have beaten Huddersfield Town 3-0, Coventry City 2-0, QPR 2-1 and their last home game Reading 3-1. They have drawn 1-1 with Norwich City and Swansea City. 0-0 with both Middlesbrough and Derby County, 2-2 with Blackburn Rovers. They have lost one home game 2-4 against Preston NE the only team to beat us at Dean Court this season so far. Away Brentford have W 6, D 3, L 2. They beat Cardiff 2-3 on Boxing Day in Wales.
In the Championship, Brentford are equal second with Sheffield Wednesday with most draws (5) at home, Millwall have the most (7). Away from home AFCB have the most draws (6).

The last time we played Brentford was at their old ground Griffin Park in the February of our Championship winning season, AFCB lost 3-1, Marc Pugh our scorer.

In all away league games against Brentford, AFCB have W 9, D 19, L 22.
All competitions, AFCB have W 38, D 32, L 38.

Brentford Team News
Shandon Baptiste and Mads Roarslev have been out injured, no news of any further injuries.

Brentford Player To Watch
Ivan Toney, their leading scorer and leading scorer in the Championship with 16 goals, half of his total have been scored at home. Sergi Canos hit a purple patch in a 23 minute second half spell when he scored his first ever hat-trick against Cardiff City. He was also given 10/10 by website Whoscored.

AFCB Team News
Apart from Jack Stacey, with the eleven day break since our last game it may have given time for Chris Mepham, Arnaut Danjuma and Josh King to recover from their injuries.

AFCB Player To Watch
Ivan Toney so far this season hasn’t gone more than two league games without scoring, so he is due another goal. So our central defenders will be the ones to watch and need to keep a tight hold on Toney. Up front it seems Brentford are weak defending attacks down the wings and against skilful players, if Arnaut Danjuma is fit he could fit the role. David Brooks has had a good rest and could be a vital player in this game for us.

Last edited:
Interesting Head-To-Head stats there, Billy !

I seem to recall reading somewhere that historically, we have played Brentford more often than any other team.

Is that still correct, I wonder ?

After a 11 day break it will be good to see a game involving our own team again as we approach the end of a depressing year that has affected all our lives apart from missing live football at Dean Court for a whole season.

We can only hope things improve as time goes on in 2021.

Last edited:
Tough, tough game. Will the break have done us any good or will we be a bit ring rusty? With Norwich slipping up we could really do with a tick in the win column from this one but Brentford are buzzing at the moment. The top 6 is incredibly tight in true championship fashion meaning a slip up can see you tumble down the table. Such a shame we couldnt turn a couple of our previous draws into wins but at least defensively we look fairly strong. I'd love a win but would be happy to come away with a draw.

Tough, tough game. Will the break have done us any good or will we be a bit ring rusty? With Norwich slipping up we could really do with a tick in the win column from this one but Brentford are buzzing at the moment. The top 6 is incredibly tight in true championship fashion meaning a slip up can see you tumble down the table. Such a shame we couldnt turn a couple of our previous draws into wins but at least defensively we look fairly strong. I'd love a win but would be happy to come away with a draw.

Well with Brentford equal top at home and AFCB top away for draws this season, you may get your wish.

I'd guess our top 10 of most-played clubs would be : Bristol Rovers, Reading, Brentford, Southend, Watford, Walsall, Swindon, Brighton, errr....maybe Northampton, Exeter ?

Seen so many matches at Griffin Park that, apart from a few notables, they tend to blur a bit. So I wonder if someone can clear this up.

I have a memory of being downstairs on the terrace on a dark, damp weekday night when we scored first against the run of play. Although I can't recall the goal at all, or who scored. Then, a few minutes later they got a dubious penalty. It was converted by someone called Lewis Grabban for the equaliser. How much of that is correct?

Also, as I can't find a ticket for a match that might fit, was it pay at the gate?

Given the welcome rest for all the players, it will be very interesting to see who JT starts.
Personally, I don't really see how he can drop Simpson at this point. But whatever happens, there will be good players on the bench, which isn't a bad thing to have.

Seen so many matches at Griffin Park that, apart from a few notables, they tend to blur a bit. So I wonder if someone can clear this up.

I have a memory of being downstairs on the terrace on a dark, damp weekday night when we scored first against the run of play. Although I can't recall the goal at all, or who scored. Then, a few minutes later they got a dubious penalty. It was converted by someone called Lewis Grabban for the equaliser. How much of that is correct?

Also, as I can't find a ticket for a match that might fit, was it pay at the gate?

2 November 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9119057.stm

Given the welcome rest for all the players, it will be very interesting to see who JT starts.
Personally, I don't really see how he can drop Simpson at this point. But whatever happens, there will be good players on the bench, which isn't a bad thing to have.

From The Echo

Penalty denies Cherries their just reward
Brentford 1 Cherries 1

7:00am Wednesday 3rd November 2010
By Neil Meldrum »

EDDIE Howe was left to rue another dubious penalty decision on the road as Cherries left Griffin Park with just a point to show for a hugely impressive performance.

After a first half high on quality from Howe’s men, it took until the 64th minute for Danny Hollands’s header to break the deadlock.

But Lewis Grabban’s penalty got Brentford back on terms just four minutes later.

Referee Andy Woolmer pointed to the spot after Charlie MacDonald went down under pressure from Marvin Bartley. In truth, it appeared as if MacDonald had simply lost his footing on the slippery Griffin Park turf.

;