Brentford

Yeah it's great comparing our failures with everyone else's successes. Really gives a rounded view.
Fair comment - for two years I was hoping Eddie would sign Watkins, posting on here numerous recommendations for him (I guess Eddie wasn’t reading this forum - or maybe he had other plans). Still - frustrating that Brentford got both of them, cheaply, and will make a pile from sales. Brentford seem to have a decent recruitment team and acquisitions strategy.

Fair comment - for two years I was hoping Eddie would sign Watkins, posting on here numerous recommendations for him (I guess Eddie wasn’t reading this forum - or maybe he had other plans). Still - frustrating that Brentford got both of them, cheaply, and will make a pile from sales. Brentford seem to have a decent recruitment team and acquisitions strategy.

It will certainly be interesting to see how their singnings work out in the PL. In my view it's a completely different prospect signing players for the top flight as you're competing with clubs with much more sophisticated recruitment systems and the players you but have to be better than they do in the Championship.

They might continue their success in signing players but I would make two predictions...

1. A number of their expensive PL signings will be flops.
  2. They won't last anything like as long as we did in the top flight.

The thing is you don't hear about the Brentford signings that don't come off.
Boll#cks ! Just remembered we signed one.

This will probably prompt a comeback, but they’ve looked like relegation fodder since October for me.

I think they could well fall like a stone during the second half of the season and go back down.
Usually one team this happens to, I agree, looks like it could be them. Also usually one team that turns it around and survives comfortably. I reckon that'll be Leeds this year - not that they're in too much trouble yet.

Yes - there is a reason why we haven’t kept a clean sheet all season !

We look good in attack but the defence leaves a lot to be desired .

clearly Watford have had a tough fixture list lately and have injuries so Ranieri has had a tough challenge. Having said that, mark how do you feel he is doing? Any obvious improvements already made? The few times I have seen Watford the attack looks more threatening?

At least we're not the smallest club to have been in the PL anymore. To be fair to them they have done well to get there with the smart Moneyball budget and they have shown far more ambition than us with the new stadium even though I do think they have reached their ceiling with even 15k let alone 20k with 5 massive London clubs next to them they won't grow any further.

But we live in an area that has nearly 800k population come the next Census, bigger population than pl teams like Burnley, leicester, watford, norwich but we play in a shed not much bigger than Weymouth. I imagine our population percentage of match going fans is the lowest of all 92 league teams all because of the ground, some will use the empty seats at league games as an excuse but in reality it's not the fans fault or even the plastics as it's been a strict ST or ticket points priority for the last 6/7 years now and the club has clearly grown much further since then, I attended a few of the cup matches when we were in the PL and there was 7k new fans at each cup game. Yes any team who has success gains more casual fans it's part of the growth of a club but this area has the potential to be much more and the failings clearly lie with the board and owners in that regard and Eddie leaving because of this reason.

First time I've seen Brentford this season in last night's game.

Didn't realise they were as direct as that & I see they use that ever so lovely (waste at least 45 seconds each time) long throw into the box all match.

We look good in attack but the defence leaves a lot to be desired .

Was this the first time Joshua King was played as a left wing back?

He started as the striker, then moved to the left wing and Dennis went central and eventually he was playing as a deep left winger?

First time I've seen Brentford this season in last night's game.

Didn't realise they were as direct as that & I see they use that ever so lovely (waste at least 45 seconds each time) long throw into the box all match.

One of things that prompted my original post.

Brentford, against a poor Watford side, look no better than they did last season when they scraped past us in the play-offs. Yet they’re sitting 9th in the Premier League, a Premier League that the pundits are least are calling the strongest yet.

Meanwhile, AFCB are a lot better than we were last season, sitting 2nd and not that far off where we were at this point last season in a division that some claim is weaker than usual.

At least we're not the smallest club to have been in the PL anymore. To be fair to them they have done well to get there with the smart Moneyball budget and they have shown far more ambition than us with the new stadium even though I do think they have reached their ceiling with even 15k let alone 20k with 5 massive London clubs next to them they won't grow any further.

But we live in an area that has nearly 800k population come the next Census, bigger population than pl teams like Burnley, leicester, watford, norwich but we play in a shed not much bigger than Weymouth. I imagine our population percentage of match going fans is the lowest of all 92 league teams all because of the ground, some will use the empty seats at league games as an excuse but in reality it's not the fans fault or even the plastics as it's been a strict ST or ticket points priority for the last 6/7 years now and the club has clearly grown much further since then, I attended a few of the cup matches when we were in the PL and there was 7k new fans at each cup game. Yes any team who has success gains more casual fans it's part of the growth of a club but this area has the potential to be much more and the failings clearly lie with the board and owners in that regard and Eddie leaving because of this reason.

I 100% agree about unfulfilled potential.

I'd hope that if we do get a second go at the PL, that we would at the very least look at getting a bigger temporary shed at the South End, so we can squeeze a couple more thousand in.

clearly Watford have had a tough fixture list lately and have injuries so Ranieri has had a tough challenge. Having said that, mark how do you feel he is doing? Any obvious improvements already made? The few times I have seen Watford the attack looks more threatening?

Spot on.

Must be the only Italian who has made the attack better but cannot sort out the defence !

We have got injuries but it’s errors we probably got away with last season which cost us.

Brentford weren’t great but do enough to get points it seems .

They don’t seem to be very popular with fans of other teams who have played them.

Allegations of time wasting and negative tactics .

Let’s see if they can stay in the PL for 5 seasons ?

;)

@DJ

Yes he did seem to get moved there .

We just invited more pressure - this was after making an attacking change!

Last edited:
Spot on.

Must be the only Italian who has made the attack better but cannot sort out the defence !

We have got injuries but it’s errors we probably got away with last season which cost us.

Brentford weren’t great but do enough to get points it seems .

@DJ

Yes he did seem to get moved there .

We just invited more pressure - this was after making an attacking change!

strange re the defence as it was that side of the game that got you promoted.

Watford ground out wins quite often last season and I thought that defensive strength would keep you up this season. Approaching the half way mark though Watford conceded joint most with Norwich and only one better than Newcastle who are hopeless defensively.

admittedky just had a tough run but will be interesting to see if ranieri tighten things up at the back moving forward. Last night was a really bad result against a very weak Brentford team

it pains me to say it, but brentford really have something about them. their manager, who I detest, is annoyingly good. still hoping they go down, but not expecting it.

;