David Brooks

But has he though? Against Spurs, 0-0 at home, sure. I can’t remember any other game where Arter has matched this hyperbole.

What does “totally dominate against top class opposition” even mean, in the real world? I watched Gosling and Cook dominate Chelsea in a manner that was far more impressive than anything I’ve ever seen from Arter. In fact, Gosling has, on the whole, outperformed Arter for almost 2 years. And Surman did more in 3 months last season than Arter has managed in years. At what point are Gosling and Surman viewed as better players on paper? And as much as I love Arter, he was absolutely awful against Real Betis.

My heart says “Thanks for the memories, go get some regular football”. My head says “Thank f*** Lerma’s coming in”.

The home game against Everton was another outstanding performance.

I’d go as far as saying the best midfield performance an afcb player has ever put in.

Reading this, I’m really hoping we see more of Harry Arter this season.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...er-harry-arter-hopes-hard-graft-will-pay-off/

The game against Man U as well just after his personal tragedy. He owned that whole game.

It’s odd how some fans have turned so against a player so good. Fair enough to wipe out his future if that’s your subjective opinion. You can’t change history that we all saw. Nobody at our club, including the brilliant Lewis Cook, has come close to matching a rampaging Arter at his best,

Can Arter and Howe unlock that again between them?

The game against Man U as well just after his personal tragedy. He owned that whole game.

It’s odd how some fans have turned so against a player so good. Fair enough to wipe out his future if that’s your subjective opinion. You can’t change history that we all saw. Nobody at our club, including the brilliant Lewis Cook, has come close to matching a rampaging Arter at his best,

I don't think so. Feel he will be gone as soon as Lerma signs on the dotted line.

Not seen anything from Arter for a very long time. Had his chance in recent friendlies to show something - but at Forest for example he was going through the motions ... looked as though he'd forgotten his basic skills.

Best for him and the club to move on before he loses the chance of a decent transfer.

Totally agree, Neil. An on-song Arter is a force to be reckoned with in the Premier League. His future at AFCB depends on Eddie's view of the chances of Harry regaining his form of old. Something changed with Arter, and I wonder whether all of his (understandable) focus on his family has led to him losing focus and confidence on the pitch?

How about giving him a chance? He's written off too quickly, and we should do our best to take care of him.

Arter is and always will be a giant of our history. Our 2-0 win over Southampton is a top Arter performance that sticks in my mind. Dominated Wanyama that night.

The question is how long do we cling onto that Arter. It's been the better part of 2 years since we've seen him on form. Since then we've had an at best anonymous and at worst insipid and disinterested Arter. There's been various legends in recent years given far far less patience before being moved on. Indeed the way Arter was moping around last season suggested he himself wanted away (selling up his business down here you'll remember).

Now I would argue Arter deserves more time than those other legends. A) because he has shown us flashes of real PL quality in our first season or so up here, B) what with his personal circumstances. C) because his brand of aggressive play is something we otherwise lack. And if that interview with the OHEC is anything to go by then Arter sounds in a better frame of mind to give it another go (although Betis wasn't the most inspiring start).

The last 2 years calls Eddie totally justified in firstly promoting Cook, Surman and Gosling all above Arter, they've simply been consistently better in their various skill-sets for 2 years. And secondly bringing in another central midfielder this summer (and I've bloody glad he has done so) bringing it seems Lerma's own brand of aggression to our party.

Perhaps Lerma's addition will be the final push to get Arter back into full fighting spirit? It surely signals now or never for Arter in terms of regaining a current and future place in the side. But as said, his place in the all time legends is already long since secured.

Last edited:
Arter just seems to have forgotten how to play football. We all know the energy he brings but thats no use if he is just running round like a madman, giving fouls away and being caught out of position.

At his best he is a fine technical player too. Composed on the ball, a decent range of passing and a fantastic strike on him. If he could calm down a bit and play with a bit less anger then we'd stilll have a great player on our hands. As it stands, he seems to put more effort into arguing with refs and faking injury than the basics of being a good football player.

After was magnificent in the championship albeit displaying ferocious tackling on many occasions which attracted yellows and red cards. Nevertheless he has been fantastic for us over many seasons and I still remember those fantastic goals he scored from outside the box on a regular basis. Sadly though, it could be a good time to move on to new pastures.

After was magnificent in the championship albeit displaying ferocious tackling on many occasions which attracted yellows and red cards. Nevertheless he has been fantastic for us over many seasons and I still remember those fantastic goals he scored from outside the box on a regular basis. Sadly though, it could be a good time to move on to new pastures.

2 red cards in 5 years.

Simon Francis - 4 reds in 4 years.

Harry;
Can't see it being a good day for us if he leaves........if it's to West Ham or Palace for example he might come back and bite us... and in a strange sort of way I might just enjoy that moment -just the once, after some of the c##p that gets said about him. Of all our players from the Championship days ..it's Arters name that crops up most in conversations with Afcb fans and fans of other clubs! All players have dodgy periods in their careers for various reasons.
Brookes; potentially can have the same impact as Harry !

I don't think it's a case of people wanting to write Harry off or slag him off. It's simply a case of saying what everyone (inc EH) could see with their eyes. Harry has not reached his highs of 18 months ago. What the reason(s) are for that I have no idea. I am sure EH would have tried to sort the drop in form out and I am sure Harry will have too.
Sometimes it just happens, players cannot always keep the physical condition to allow them to play at the top of their game every week. We know he has suffered a number of niggling injuries - maybe cumulatively they have taken their toll. Maybe its a mental thing with pressure on him to play for his place.
I would love to see him back at his best - I reckon EH will give it to the next transfer window before doing anything much.
Whatever happens he will always be a legend here.

Harry;
Can't see it being a good day for us if he leaves........if it's to West Ham or Palace for example he might come back and bite us... and in a strange sort of way I might just enjoy that moment -just the once, after some of the c##p that gets said about him. Of all our players from the Championship days ..it's Arters name that crops up most in conversations with Afcb fans and fans of other clubs! All players have dodgy periods in their careers for various reasons.
Brookes; potentially can have the same impact as Harry !
I don't agree that Harry gets crap from every where, I think most fans have a great deal of respect for Harry and what he's done for our club over the years.

Totally agree, Neil. An on-song Arter is a force to be reckoned with in the Premier League. His future at AFCB depends on Eddie's view of the chances of Harry regaining his form of old. Something changed with Arter, and I wonder whether all of his (understandable) focus on his family has led to him losing focus and confidence on the pitch?
As a father of young children, I (and many on here) can attest to the massive energy drain babies/young kids have on you. Even having a pregnant wife who wakes up at all hours of the night is disruptive to sleep patterns/mental acuity.
I'm not saying this is the cause of Harry's recent dip in form, but it certainly could be. No easy solution though (though I recall Josh King I think, after the birth of a new baby, saying he would always sleep at a hotel the day before home games so he could get a proper sleep).

In recent times I think Harry has indeed been guilty of trying too hard to get his place back. When he has an opportunity he just tries too hard to impress instead of just relaxing and having faith in his own ability to see him through. I think that's understandable, knowing how passionate he is about wanting to play but it is also an obstacle to him performing at his best. However, there is no denying that when he was regularly in the team, his form seemed to be in continuous decline for a while. Eddie gave him plenty of time to find his form and he just didn't. Ultimately he had to be dropped. So I think there are two issues here. One, what caused him to lose his form initially ( family as mentioned already ? ) and two, how can we get him to relax when he does get another opportunity to impress ? I'm sure Eddie and his staff have tried all sorts to help Harry get his mojo back but so far nothing seems to be working. Currently I think he just needs to relax and not put himself under so much pressure. I'm desperate for him to be in the team and happy again since it would be a shame to lose him after all he has done for us.

I don't agree that Harry gets crap from every where, I think most fans have a great deal of respect for Harry and what he's done for our club over the years.

Your right of course.....but I was only responding to the few that have on quite a number occasions last season posted some inaccurate stuff about him. Those that can't see the the human side off the pitch.
I didn't say it came from 'everywhere' .

;