Burnley v AFC Bournemouth - Final Game Of The Season

billythekid

UTC Legend
Might be good news for us.

The battle for top goalscoring honours at Turf Moor on the final day may have been scuppered by injury.

Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood are locked together on 10 goals, with nine each in the league and a cup strike apiece.

But with Wood out with a cut on the top of his foot and Barnes coming off against Arsenal with a shoulder or collar bone injury, both may be struggling to make it for next weekend.

Listened to Adam Smith on Solent this morning, doesn’t look like he will be available, the Burnley game is too soon for him.

Unfortunately can't make this due to attending a wedding over the weekend precluding me from getting up north. Hope we can finish the season well with a decent league placing, the difference between a few places in the final standings would pay for a player. Good trip up all those going.

Would be good if Mings got more game time. No point risking A.Smith. If Wilson starts (I'm certain Howe will want to give him every opportunity to bag a goal) I do hope he can break his duck one way or another. I'd start Mousset somewhere.

There is a saying that things happen in threes, well will this be the third time?

Paul Tierney is the referee for Burnley and we have had him twice before this season, Newcastle away 0-1 win. Stoke home 2-1 win.

If we lose at Burnley...and Brighton draw at Liverpool they will finish above us on Goal difference! Odds against it but Brighton are playing well.

sorry CC but after 38 games you finish where you deserve to be.
Yeah, I hate to disagree with my fellow Canuck, but I have been saying all year that football is a meritocracy and the only measure is points gained. No style points involved. The breaks, calls, bounces and even the injuries tend to even out over a full season.
That said, it will be an interesting summer to see what EH will do to improve the squad.

‘Disgusting Inconsistency’ happens to every club outside of the top 6 in the Premiership.
I'd say that even the top 6 suffer from this. Did Liverpool look like a potential Champion of Europe in the first half of the season? Sometimes I look at Spurs line-up and say "how do they not win every game" .... yet they don't. United has looked very ordinary at times, Chelsea and Arsenal have been downright poor. And even though City has had a magical season, by the record they should be - but aren't - in the Champions League final. Maybe not "disgusting inconsistency", but no team is immune from the ups and downs.

With talk now moving to next season and players available, came upon this article on a player who will be a free agent at the end of the season when he leaves Manchester City.

It mentions our opponents this weekend as one side that could be interested in the midfield player.

Having managed to break into Europe for the first time this century, Burnley are now a team on the rise and Sean Dyche is now looking to add some quality to his first team to help them compete with the best next season.

This has seen them linked with some established stars recently and one name that is exciting many Burnley fans is Manchester City midfielder, Yaya Toure.

Burnley Join Toure Race:
Having spent eight successful years at Etihad, former Barcelona star Yaya Toure is set to quit Manchester City this summer as a free agent. He has a number of offers from around Europe and from The USA and Asia but it is understood that Toure, whose family is well settled in England, is desperate to stay back in the Premier League for another season.

He turns 35 later this month and still has a year left at his best and reports suggest that the likes of Everton and Wolves are interested in his services. Burnley are also showing interest in the player but is he a good option for The Clarets?

http://madaboutepl.net/2018/05/burnley-planning-audacious-move-for-yaya-toure/

Will AFCB Get Their First Victory At Turf Moor?

At last we witnessed another Cherries victory without conceding any goals and making a fourth season in the Premier League an absolute certainty after beating Swansea City who are fighting relegation after their home defeat to Saints. The last win was at Dean Court back in March against West Brom and after Tuesday’s night result at Swansea has seen them relegated.

This coming weekend the Cherries travel up to the only other club Eddie Howe has managed Burnley, who for size of population (87,500 in 2016) must be one of the top supported clubs in the country (average gate this season 20,687). Sean Dyche who was installed as manager there shortly after Eddie returned to his ‘home’ town club AFCB, has done a good job and he has seen his side qualify for the Europa League next season. Burnley will finish in their present 7th place whatever the result of this game and the Cherries could slightly improve on their 12th position in the Premier League table, but otherwise there is nothing at stake in this game. This is a ground where the Cherries have never won.

The Premier League season is nearly finished, but with the World Cup coming up, the football season for 2018-19 won’t be that far away! Looking back over our season our best months for results were November were we won 2, drew 1 and lost 1. January was probably the standout month, starting with a 2-2 draw at Brighton. Then games against three London clubs, beating Arsenal 2-1, drawing at West Ham 1-1, then finishing off the month beating Chelsea 0-3.

In the January transfer window Burnley signed winger Aaron Lennon from Everton for an undisclosed fee. Their other signing was Georges Kevin-N’Koudou another winger from Spurs on loan, Lennon also played for Spurs before his move to Everton.

January at Turf Moor in their home games, Burnley had a bad start losing 1-2 against Liverpool and 0-1 against Manchester United. February they drew with the other Manchester club, City 1-1 and also 1-1 against Southampton. March, only one home game where they beat Everton 2-1. April they beat Leicester City 2-1, lost 1-2 against Chelsea and drew 0-0 with Brighton. In their away games, in January they lost 1-0 to Crystal Palace, drew 1-1 against Newcastle United. February they lost 1-0 against Swansea City. March won both games, beating West Ham 0-3 and West Brom 1-2. April Burnley beat Watford 1-2 and drew with Stoke City 1-1. May they were thrashed at Arsenal in Arsene Wenger’s last home game 5-0.

In the Premier League against Burnley at Turf Moor, in the 2016-17 season we lost 3-2. At Dean Court AFCB won 2-1. This season 2017-18 at Dean Court we lost 1-2. In all league games at Turf Moor AFCB have drawn 6 and lost 5. In all competitions, AFCB have won 5, drawn 11 and lost 11.

Burnley Team News
Both their leading scorers are a doubt for this game. Chris Wood is a slight doubt with a foot injury he picked up at the end of April. Ashley Barnes is a major doubt from a shoulder/collar bone injury from his last game against Arsenal. Other players out injured are Ben Mee with a shin injury, he may be available for the weekend. Scott Arfield has been out since February with a calf strain. Steven Defour been out since January with a cartilage knee injury and Robert Brady out since last December with a knee injury.

Burnley Player To Watch
Johann Berg Gudmundsson the Icelandic winger, scored 2 goals, but more importantly his 8 assists have helped Burnley this season.

AFCB Team News
Harry Arter has an achilles injury but could be available and Adam Smith said he thinks it will be too soon to return for the last game of the season after being out with a MCL knee ligament injury. Junior Stanislas is out until next season with a knee injury.

AFCB Player To Watch
Hoping to see Ryan Fraser in his attacking role, this is where he is at his best for us and causes problems for defenders.

sorry CC but after 38 games you finish where you deserve to be.
Apart from the obvious truism that you are ranked based on the points you have earned, my point was more about the impression conveyed by a 10th-place finish.
If you tell your non-football friend "my team finished 10th of 20 teams in the Premier League," your friend will have a vague idea that your team must be roughly in the middle of those 20 teams. But that is complete bunk.
We are currently 46 points from first place Man City, and only 8 points from relegation. There is a cluttered clustering of crappy clubs at the bottom of the table, and the only thing separating many of them is a bit of luck. (what if Stanislas' last-minute free kick hadn't gone in? What if any of those chances we gave other teams would have gone in, instead of them hitting it over the bar when it was easier to score? . .. .)
I'm proud of AFCB and really want us to do well, but when I say that we "don't deserve" 10th place what I really mean is that based on most of our performances this season it feels dishonest to suggest we are right in the middle of the pack.
We deserve to stay up but if we finish 10th, the danger is that complacency can set in by generating a sense we are better than we are.

I agree.

10th would certainly paper over the cracks.

Given we took 6 points form Chelsea and Arsenal earlier in the season, we would be deep in the mire had those results not have gone our way.

We had a very fortunate season injury wise and we have at times struggled more than 2016/17.

Something just seemed to be amiss at times, and if it isn’t rectified over the summer we could struggle next season.

;