Burnley v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Referee is Anthony Taylor who was referee last night at Southampton.

We had him last season in two away defeats against Arsenal and Saints.

In our first season in the PL we had him home in the win against Man U and the draw away at Watford.

If you are looking for somewhere to drink in Burnley, this could be the place! ;)

Or maybe

Pete Mitton recommends the Cricket Club; 'the clubhouse at the Cricket Club (you can also park there) is open on matchdays and visitors are always made welcome (wearing colours), which is ideal as it is right next door to Turf Moor.' Paul Hanson adds 'Another place I could recommend is the Queen Victoria Public House. The away fans are always directed/encouraged to park in one location, by the side of the Burnley fire station; Pass there, away from the football ground and proceed for about 100 yards where you will find the entrance to the Queen Victoria (Brewers Fayre establishment). The ground is no more than 10 minutes walk away. Away fans visit regularly wearing their colours'. You can also park at the Queen Victoria at a cost of £5 (which you can get refunded back at the bar against the cost of food and drink).

Matthew Harrison informs me; 'The Bridge Bier Huis pub', which is around ten minutes walk away from the ground, serves good beer and food and is fine for away supporters'. This pub which is in the centre of Burnley is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and in addition to a number of real ales, offers a large selection of bottled beers from around the world. Visit the Bridge Bier Huis website for more information. Whilst Mike Dean a visiting Norwich City supporter adds; 'We enjoyed the Talbot pub (opposite the Sparrow Hawk) for pre match drinks. It is a good sized pub with a large screen tv and plenty of sensible home fans, plus well kept real ale on tap'. Ian Pilkington advises 'The Turf Hotel on Yorkshire Street and pubs in the town centre are best avoided. Colours are best covered up in and around the centre of town'. Alcohol is normally available inside the ground for away fans to purchase in the form of Lager (£3.50), Bitter (£3.20) and Cider (£3.50).

https://www.footballgroundguide.com...ue/turf-moor-burnley.html#apubs-for-away-fans

Burnley Will Be Looking For First Win

After the defeat away to Chelsea and the international break, the Cherries were home against Leicester City. The result a 4-2 win for AFCB, the highest score of the season so far at Dean Court. This was a change from the usual low scoring games against the Foxes. The next trip is up North to Lancashire to face Burnley on Saturday.

Burnley manager Sean Dyche is the second longest serving manager in the Premier League after our own Eddie Howe. In October they will both have been at their clubs for six years. Eddie Howe joined the Cherries for the second time 18 days before Sean Dyche took over the vacant job at Burnley when Eddie Howe left.

In the Summer Burnley made three signings. Defender Ben Gibson signed from Middlesbrough for £15 million, this equals the record they paid Leeds last season for striker Chris Wood. The second signing was the experienced England international goalkeeper Joe Hart for £3.5 million. Their final signing was from the Championship club Derby County, Czech Republic striker Matej Vydra, who was leading scorer in the Championship last season, signed for an undisclosed fee.

Burnley finished in 7th place last season and this earned them a place in the Europa League qualifying rounds. They beat both Aberdeen and Istanbul Basaksehir to reach the play-offs. They lost to Olympiakos. This has been Burnley’s worst start to a season in the top-flight for many years. They picked up a point away at Southampton in their first game of the Premier League season in a 0-0 draw. In their first home game, Watford took all the points in a 1-3 win. Their last game in August Burnley travelled to London to meet Fulham, they went home having lost again, this time 4-2. The next game was back home, the visitors another side from not far away in Lancashire, Manchester United. United took all 3 points in a 0-2 win.

Their most recent game was away to Wolverhampton Wanderers, this game was shown live on Sky. Wolves won 1-0, but the score didn’t give a true account of the game, the score should have been higher, but good defending (especially the saves from Hart) and poor finishing from Wolves kept the score to 1-0. In that game Wolves had 30 shots, 7 on target, Burnley 7 shots, 2 on target. Watching Wolves with their pressing style reminded me of our side in some ways.

Last season at home, Burnley Won 7, Drawn 5, Lost 7. They scored 16 and conceded 17. This season at home so far they have P 2, Won 0, Drawn 0, Lost 2. They have scored 1 and conceded 5. Sean Dyche will be looking for his first win of the season Saturday, let’s hope we can repeat last season’s result.
Burnley have lost their last 3 home matches (inc. last season). Away, AFCB have Won 2 and lost 1 (inc. last season).
TRIVIA
If you didn’t know there is a pub named after Sean Dyche, The Royal Dyche. It was named after him because of Burnley qualifying for Europe. It opened in June.

Burnley have never won the League Cup, otherwise they have won every major competition in English football.
The last time we played Burnley was the last game of last season with the Cherries coming away with a 1-2 victory, their first win at Turf Moor in all competitions. Chris Wood opened the scoring in the first half, Josh King equalised for AFCB and in injury time Callum Wilson scored the winner.
In the Premier League against Burnley at Turf Moor, in the 2016-17 season we lost 3-2. At Dean Court AFCB won 2-1. Last season 2017-18 away we won 1-2, at Dean Court we lost 1-2. In all league games at Turf Moor AFCB have Won 1, Drawn 6, Lost 5. In all competitions, AFCB have Won 6, Drawn 11, Lost 11.

Burnley Team News
On the injury front they have a few players out. Steven Defour is close to a first team return, he played an hour in an Under 23’s game. Robbie Brady expected back in October, been out with a hamstring injury. Nick Pope is out with a dislocated shoulder. Ben Gibson groin injury also out.

Burnley Player To Watch
Their strikers so far have drawn blanks. Chris Wood scored in both games against us last season. Dyche may give a full debut Matej Vydra to add some bite to their attack. Johann Berg Gudmundsson hasn’t shown the form from last season so far. Will go for Vydra.

AFCB Team News
Junior Stanislas is on his way to a full return. Charlie Daniels is the only doubt with a knee injury.

AFCB Player To Watch
Probably the most obvious choice is Ryan Fraser, who has been ‘on fire’ at home terrorising defences. He is our leading scorer in the league with 3 goals, also joint with Callum Wilson with 2 assists. Callum Wilson has been looking good in games, alongside his strike partner Josh King. So against Burnley the ‘three musketeers’, could all play an important part against a so far below par Burnley.

We've had a drink at the Cricket Club the last two seasons. It is a nice friendly atmosphere very close to the ground. There is parking available there or if its full at the tennis club a short distance down the road. Cheap pie and peas too!

Really impressed with Wilson against Leicester, I thought that was his best overall performance in months and months even though he didn't score.

------------Begovic------------
Smith---S. Cook---Ake---Rico
Brooks--Lerma--L. Cook--Fraser
-------King-------Wilson-------

Subs: Boruc, Mings, Ibe, Gosling, Stanislas, Mousset, Defoe

I'd have L. Cook in for Gosling, just because we're probably going to have most of the ball, and Cook is much better with creative passes. Don't really see the point in having Gosling and Lerma together against this lot. Obviously wouldn't be a catastrophe if we kept the same team though, and it might be a bit harsh to drop Gosling.

A performance similar to the first half against Leicester would do nicely and I’d be confident 3 points would be coming our way.
Watched some of Wolves v Burnley last weekend and Burnley did not look sharp .
Some quick crisp passing in possession and some good hassle when we haven’t got the ball should do it nicely ..... quite similar to how wolves played .
I suspect it might be a ‘back to basics’ approach for Dyche after a bad start to the season. I hope we take the game to them .

Burnley will play their style of football as it worked for them last season.
I don't think they can play any other way. Stop the other team from scoring and try and nick one themselves. They haven't been very good at it so far.

Really impressed with Wilson against Leicester, I thought that was his best overall performance in months and months even though he didn't score.

------------Begovic------------
Smith---S. Cook---Ake---Rico
Brooks--Lerma--L. Cook--Fraser
-------King-------Wilson-------

Subs: Boruc, Mings, Ibe, Gosling, Stanislas, Mousset, Defoe

I'd have L. Cook in for Gosling, just because we're probably going to have most of the ball, and Cook is much better with creative passes. Don't really see the point in having Gosling and Lerma together against this lot. Obviously wouldn't be a catastrophe if we kept the same team though, and it might be a bit harsh to drop Gosling.

No Francis or Surman? That would be a first for Eddie? Think Stanislas will feature V Blackburn

There was no Francis or Surman against Leicester (until later anyway)

edit: You mean in the 18, oops. Yes that would be a shock and a half

Burnley will be looking for their first win like we were last season and we broke the duck with 0 points after four games with a home win against Brighton.

So in front of their own crowd this could be a difficult game.

Burnley will be looking for their first win like we were last season and we broke the duck with 0 points after four games with a home win against Brighton.

So in front of their own crowd this could be a difficult game.
I agree. We have history with throwing the form book out of the window. Unfortunately in both directions :confused: I expect a tough game.

Burnley will see this as a game they really have to win and likely to play 2 big men up top. A back 3 might not be a bad idea for us.

If they are going to be a bit more gung ho in their approach then starting with a 3-4-3 allows Fraser to play a bit higher up the pitch and give us opportunities on the counter.

I think that if we play a 3-4-3 then it would be Rico and Smith as the width as they can still defend. Then Wilson up top flanked by King and Fraser

I thought Burnley’s style last year was pretty cultured for a team that’s sometimes perceived as ‘hit the big man’.
When they had the ball they moved it about at very good pace and generally got up the pitch pretty quickly playing it through the lines .
Obviously could be wrong but feel as though they will start out not wanting to concede , maybe being a bit more cautious, and then see how it goes, building some confidence.

Last year they were excellent down here. Solid at the back with an attacking threat, all 11 playing as a team with no obvious star players standing out.

Seems a bit different this year.

No Brady and no Defour makes Burnley a dull team. And maybe there’s only so many times you can win by one goal before luck starts going against you?

Either way, they look completely ass atm. Bit like how West Brom had a great season and then collapsed.

Id like to see S.Cook in for Gosling. Not that Gosling is bad mind you he is not! BUT I do think there is room for improvement. Give Cook a chance if he isn't an improvement go back to Gosling.

;