Burnley v AFCB - Match Report and MOM

Hyndman for me did OK when he got involved but he did not look to get involved as much as I would have liked when we had the ball. He seemed to be very much reactive rather than proactive in that he dropped off waiting for a pass rather than going toward the ball and asking for it enough - something Surman is always doing. Hopefully that was just a confidence thing with it being his first game at this level and will hopefully develop with time.

Fraser is OK as an emergency right back/wing back but if we plan to use that system next season IMO we need somebody other than Adam Smith who can play there with a more defensive mind and is stronger in the tackle and in the air. Burnley really did exploit that weakness in the first half and although Franno has the height and strength I am not sure he has enough pace to play that role effectively.

Overall though a very enjoyable game and nice to end the season with a drive home after seeing another away win - seems a long time since the Stoke one as I managed to miss both Newcastle and Chelsea.

In my mind we played with a back four in the second half with Fraser at RB, which is why he didn't get forward as much.

Funny how we all always see different formations.

Sorry SDD I do agree with you for the 2nd half when Mings went off. I was referring to the first half when Burnley scored their goal.

My main point being that Fraser isn't even a RB, Burnley's long ball tactic was to deliberately expose his lack of height but despite this they barely had a threat against us

He seemed to be very much reactive rather than proactive in that he dropped off waiting for a pass rather than going toward the ball and asking for it enough

This is an interesting contrast to the way Pep sets his teams up, which I know is something Eddie aspires to. Instead of going towards the ball, Man City players hold their position and trust the passer to find them.

Now that's a lot easier when the passer is KDB or Silva! However, when you watch us against the more organised teams, the issue is usually too many players going towards the ball to give an easy sideways pass option, rather than stretching the play and encouraging more incisive play

The game was difficult to watch on TV. The bright vs shadow made picking players from two teams playing in dark strip difficult #firstworldproblems

I thought the match was about even but with nothing riding on ththe match it was hard to compare the two teams. It seemed to me nobody would have been surprised if we swapped positions in the league but I guess that is the nature of the prem that not much covers 7th to bottom and th difference is probably less technical and more application.

Sorry SDD I do agree with you for the 2nd half when Mings went off. I was referring to the first half when Burnley scored their goal.

My main point being that Fraser isn't even a RB, Burnley's long ball tactic was to deliberately expose his lack of height but despite this they barely had a threat against us

Agree. He has his weaknesses at RB and it's a waste of his strengths. I also think three at the back exposes gaps even when you've got someone more adept at playing wing back there - I thought Cook struggled a bit positionally in the first half for this reason.

An interesting game with changing formations. I like the back 3 of Cook, Mings and Ake in the middle. Plus the bonus of no Francis.

Hydman grew into the game and he got forward into the penalty area which is a plus. Unlucky to be taken off but Dan Gosling gave the mid field a different dimensions. Cork dominated mid field for Burnley such a pity he was never Dean Court bound on a permeant basis.

Fraser isn't a right back nor was Ritchie a full back but at times needs must. Strange that he went down the tunnel after the game and didn't stay on the pitch with the rest.

Yet again we started the game on 70 minutes and the bonus of the winning goal right at the death. Credit to young Defoe for not just nicking the ball but the lovely pass for Wilson to slot home. That must have taken a weight off Wilson's shoulders although his work rate has never faltered.

Yet again the coaches stuck outside and 45 minutes plus to circumnavigate the ground.

Sorry forgot to add once again, in my view, Ibe was a waste of space and is being carried by the team. Doesn't seem to have the Eddie Howe work ethic.

I saw the game quite differently. Definitely the better team first half with Burnley coming back into it 10 mins before they scored. Overall thought they were forunate to be ahead at h/t.

2nd half we started very well again and the game became more open and even as the half progressed. For me Wilson was the big difference due to his willingness to run the channels. The leveller was definitely deserved and to win so late was just perfect!

Don't think anyone had a shocker, 6s and 7s all round for me. Very impressed by their keeper Pope.

;