Callum On Bench

I know it’s a modern fact of life but how sad you have to make this post. I’ve just been to 2 Test matches where England fans, Aussies and neutrals all managed to create a great atmosphere sitting together. I’m sure it will be the same in the RU World Cup in Japan too. What is it about football ?
TBF there was a punch up reported in the stands at the 4th test at Old Trafford the other day.

Some football matches (friendlies) it's mixed and absolutely fine. But there's definitely games I wouldn't be happy being mixed.

In any case, as an away going fan, I want to be in our own section surrounded by our own mates and able to gang up and make a racket. Why dilute us among >30,000 home fans? What a crap away day that'd be.

TBF there was a punch up reported in the stands at the 4th test at Old Trafford the other day.

Some football matches (friendlies) it's mixed and absolutely fine. But there's definitely games I wouldn't be happy being mixed.

In any case, as an away going fan, I want to be in our own section surrounded by our own mates and able to gang up and make a racket. Why dilute us among >30,000 home fans? What a crap away day that'd be.

Nothing wrong with that NSM. It’s just the forced segregation aspect I find disappointing. As for the punch up at Old Trafford it was probably because someone spilt a pint rather than along tribal lines.

I was working last night so missed the game, aside from some radio commentary. Hope to see some highlights later. One of those games we could all pick apart but if all international football was 5-3, we wouldn't complain too much!

Callum was never likely to get a minute sadly, although I would have brought him on against Bulgaria, 4-0 up and enough time for him to get a chance or two. Surely a good opportunity for Southgate to boost his second striker [ bearing in mind that Rashford has been played wide more often than down the middle ]. Maybe if we hadn't let two goals in after half time last night, he would have been used.

We all knew Callum wasn't likely to get any game time for these 2 matches, but not playing James Maddison at all is bizzare? Surely his form is much better than Barkley and certainly he has to be ahead of Rice? He certainly deserved to get some minutes out of these 2 games.

Must confess I didn’t realise Rice was playing until the commentator mentioned his name during the second half. Our midfield looks really imbalanced and repeatedly exposes our full backs

I was working last night so missed the game, aside from some radio commentary. Hope to see some highlights later. One of those games we could all pick apart but if all international football was 5-3, we wouldn't complain too much!

Callum was never likely to get a minute sadly, although I would have brought him on against Bulgaria, 4-0 up and enough time for him to get a chance or two. Surely a good opportunity for Southgate to boost his second striker [ bearing in mind that Rashford has been played wide more often than down the middle ]. Maybe if we hadn't let two goals in after half time last night, he would have been used.

I'd have Wilson over Rashford as a striker tbh; one of the most overrated younger players in quite some time. He's never scored more goals in a season than King, Bournemouth's second choice striker, even when he's been played upfront. Even most United fans think he's bang average.

#KingForEngland ;)

In my opinion there is no soul in the England team. I think my problem is I look back to the 90's where the England team was full of characters. Players who seemed to have a bond with each other. The England team seems characterless. Yes, good individual players, skillful players but they don't seem to generate the same excitement. I guess I just rebember the 1990 world cup and euro 96 too much. Bobby Robson and Terry Venables. Great characters. Players getting pissed before tournaments, the dentist's chairs, Gazza's goal against Scotland. I want England to do well, of course, but I'd love to see some proper characters in the team.

who would you have doing it?

remember winston churchills dead ;-)

I think Gareth has the capability to progress.....I just want him to shake off caution, his bank manager image, get in a tracksuit , look past the press/ big club influences and pick 'hungry' players to supplement Sterling!
There is talk now of him being tempted by Club Management!

Who else ? Not sure....and as you say Churchills dead....pity ..he took no prisoners...reasonably efficient.

PULIS......!!!

In my opinion there is no soul in the England team. I think my problem is I look back to the 90's where the England team was full of characters. Players who seemed to have a bond with each other. The England team seems characterless. Yes, good individual players, skillful players but they don't seem to generate the same excitement. I guess I just rebember the 1990 world cup and euro 96 too much. Bobby Robson and Terry Venables. Great characters. Players getting pissed before tournaments, the dentist's chairs, Gazza's goal against Scotland. I want England to do well, of course, but I'd love to see some proper characters in the team.

Thought under Gareth the team spirit was returning. Think Sterling is emerging as a real character and world class player.

Those 'characters' included addicts.

Gambling addicts, alcoholics, people with untreated mental health issues...

Modern footballers simply can't live like that and expect to keep up anymore. They're proper athletes now; their bodies are persistently tuned and managed.

The characters of old were born of dark existences and experiences. Their post-career autobiographies are fascinating but I wouldn't want anyone else to go through that crap.

If you can't see a soul in the current England set up then you're not looking properly. Most of this crop have come up through the youth ranks, playing the same way and having a common cause.

Will that work and win us cups?

Who knows.

The present England set up is not missing a soul... but it is missing players who self-destruct and are fodder for an imbecilic media.

Those 'characters' included addicts.

Gambling addicts, alcoholics, people with untreated mental health issues...

Modern footballers simply can't live like that and expect to keep up anymore. They're proper athletes now; their bodies are persistently tuned and managed.

The characters of old were born of dark existences and experiences. Their post-career autobiographies are fascinating but I wouldn't want anyone else to go through that crap.

If you can't see a soul in the current England set up then you're not looking properly. Most of this crop have come up through the youth ranks, playing the same way and having a common cause.

Will that work and win us cups?

Who knows.

The present England set up is not missing a soul... but it is missing players who self-destruct and are fodder for an imbecilic media.
What a load of b0ll0cks

And that's why he is playing and Callum is on the bench,....imo Callum is lucky to be in squad with the start he has made to the season

Callum needs goals in the league like Kane and Sterling.

He broke his duck in our last game, hopefully that will be the kickstart to many more, starting on Sunday.

Must confess I didn’t realise Rice was playing until the commentator mentioned his name during the second half. Our midfield looks really imbalanced and repeatedly exposes our full backs
Yep , too easily passed through and overrun, need that third player in the middle .
Now where have we heard that before ...
Defence looks weak and when it needed to be changed Southgate did nothing to tighten things up .

;