Callum Wilson

King wasn’t playing up front. He was playing in the hole as a no. 10. Part of his role is to drop into midfield and mark space rather than chase the ball when we are out of possession.

Pressing is one of the most misunderstood things in the whole of football. To be effective all XI need to be on the same wavelength and press as a unit. If you just aimlessly press you compromise the team shape. Something Harry Arter was guilty of.

We won’t know the exact instructions Eddie gave him, but I thought he pressed effectively when the ball was able to be won, and dropped make into midfield when we needed to make a 5.
He hardly played the continental 'number 10 position'. He just played off of Wilson, his job is to win the ball and distribute it forward or hold it up and wait for other players to push on past.

The continental 'number 10' role plays inbetween the lines. Finding the space between the oppositions defence and midfield. I didn't see much of this yesterday from King. I just seen somebody who couldn't win the ball and, in the end, gave up pressing from the front. This is why I believe Eddie moved him out wide. It was obvious to see he was having a bad day. Solanke came on and did more in 20 minutes then King did all game. He actually gave us a physical presence upfront playing off of Wilson. The front line has a much better balance to it with Wilson and Solanke I feel.

He should be at the top. You are supposed to press from the front. Strikers are the first line of defense. I saw King on a few occasions not even bother to chase the ball. He should be covering the most distance in every game. It's part of playing upfront.

He did fail to track back a couple of times but I think he was absolutely knackered at the end, as were most of the team.

Where King did fail to shine were the times he had a chance to take a shot and the ball seemed to stick under his feet, at least on two occasions.

:utc:

I don’t think King had his best game but it was poor decision making and execution. Nothing to do with laziness
Strange how people see football different. I thought he was poor. To be honest I've never been his biggest fan. When Tottenham were sniffing around for 30 million a few seasons ago I would of snapped their hand off for that money.

Had Callum laid him a better ball towards the end he would have had 2 goals and probably wouldn't be mentioned in this context. He's stronger, better at holding up and better at going past players than Callum is, but Callum is more clinical hence always getting the nod.

Had Callum laid him a better ball towards the end he would have had 2 goals and probably wouldn't be mentioned in this context. He's stronger, better at holding up and better at going past players than Callum is, but Callum is more clinical hence always getting the nod.
Callum has better movement, and is a better finisher. This is why he tends to play off the shoulder. King is better with his feet, and probably slightly edges Callum in terms of strength and his hold play, as you say. They aren't dis similar players, they play different roles but in terms of attributes they are fairly similar. Solanke however is different, which would give Callum the freedom to play off the shoulder all game instead of coming back and inter changing with King from time to time because King struggles to get/hold/distribute the ball. I don't think it's a coincidence that Kings best season came when Callum got Injured and he played his role in the team. Playing off the striker doesn't suit King, he's not very good at it. He's better playing up top himself, because they have similar attributes like I said.

Strange how people see football different. I thought he was poor. To be honest I've never been his biggest fan. When Tottenham were sniffing around for 30 million a few seasons ago I would of snapped their hand off for that money.
The only thing we are seeing differently is the ‘lazy’ word. I have said throughout he didn’t have a great game.

King was not great yesterday, but was far from Lazy. Ridiculous comment. The front three are not firing yet. They will. And agree Solanke needs to be used more. His hold up play is brilliant and will bring the others into the game, but will need a tweak in Eddies front three.

King was not great yesterday, but was far from Lazy. Ridiculous comment. The front three are not firing yet. They will. And agree Solanke needs to be used more. His hold up play is brilliant and will bring the others into the game, but will need a tweak in Eddies front three.
I guess I must expect more from the players that pull on the shirt. Yesterday we didn't press well at all and King was one of the worst culprits by far.

Yes the first half was a very different half to the second. I have no complaints about the first half. The second half concerned me. It why I said King gave up pressing.

Which I’m fairly certain was a tactical choice. No teams press for 90 mins when they have a lead. It’s about keeping the shape and making the opponent play through you. We see it from opponents so often at DC too. And to be fair it worked. All Villa had in the 2nd half were crosses and long shots which any manager will be happy about

Which I’m fairly certain was a tactical choice. No teams press for 90 mins when they have a lead. It’s about keeping the shape and making the opponent play through you. We see it from opponents so often at DC too. And to be fair it worked. All Villa had in the 2nd half were crosses and long shots which any manager will be happy about
We got the result that's all that matters. I just feel the front line had no balance and I feel king is a part of the problem from what I seen yesterday.

We got the result that's all that matters. I just feel the front line had no balance and I feel king is a part of the problem from what I seen yesterday.

"We got the result that's all that matters."

So why are you slagging off our players? I thought the team pressed well and this point was mentioned by most of the match reports I read.

Reactions: rgb
"We got the result that's all that matters."

So why are you slagging off our players? I thought the team pressed well and this point was mentioned by most of the match reports I read.
Because I have the right to criticise a player if I want to. Did you watch the game yesterday?

I'd say city press nearly all game

;