Can u doubt the boards commitment

Yes ! Without realizing you’ve hit the nail on the head “ do this for a living” . So yeah a commitment ..to make money . As for calling a new ground “ a pile of bricks” give your head a shake .
If it's not a pile of bricks then what is it? And if making money takes us from the brink of extinction to pushing for a Europa League place then I'm all for it.

I must admit the lack of development on infrastructue does put some degree of doubt in my mind. If it is a case of the money going into the squad then thats fair enough. However Solanke may feel like a serious investment now but I believe Wilson will be sold, probably not in January but if there is interest from the likes of Chelsea in the summer unfortunately I am sure he will be off, then you have to question is Solanke an investment or an easy replacement.
If Wilson is sold for 50 million then he was an investment, and a good one. If solanke plays well for 3 years and then is sold for a similar fee then is he not an investment? Just like Wilson, Brooks, Fraser.... we invest in young players because they have a resale value.

What if we put all our eggs in one basket and get a brand new shiny stadium. Eddie gets picked off by the big guns and we end up back in League one. The bandwagon jumpers will jump ship and we will be left with a load of debt and a soulless stadium. It's all ifs and buts but I know which side my bread is buttered, and thats success on the pitch. If we can do both, great. I'd love a new stadium to accomadate our growing and younger fan base. If I had to choose between the two then theres no contest in my eyes.

What if we put all our eggs in one basket and get a brand new shiny stadium. Eddie gets picked off by the big guns and we end up back in League one. The bandwagon jumpers will jump ship and we will be left with a load of debt and a soulless stadium. It's all ifs and buts but I know which side my bread is buttered, and thats success on the pitch. If we can do both, great. I'd love a new stadium to accomadate our growing and younger fan base. If I had to choose between the two then theres no contest in my eyes.
Agree with pretty much all of what you say, but.
Us supporters never promised each other anything. The people who speak for the clubs owners promised the supporters new training facilities and a new stadium. Whatever league we were in.

Agree with pretty much all of what you say, but.
Us supporters never promised each other anything. The people who speak for the clubs owners promised the supporters new training facilities and a new stadium. Whatever league we were in.
Can't argue with that

Without new players there is no need for a new stadium. I would like the training facilities to be built as it can only improve players with state of the art equipment and playing surfaces

Who said I was reffering to anyone in this thread? And as as far expressing your views in a discussion thread, I'm fully aware of that thanks, it's why I expressed my view. When did I say people couldn't? lol seems like its you thats implying I'm not allowed to express my view.
I don’t think you’ve understood the point...or elected not to. Never mind.

If Wilson is sold for 50 million then he was an investment, and a good one. If solanke plays well for 3 years and then is sold for a similar fee then is he not an investment? Just like Wilson, Brooks, Fraser.... we invest in young players because they have a resale value.

Firstly I very much doubt we will get 50 million for Callum, although I would be happy to be wrong. Also there is no guarantee of making profit from these young players. My main concern is that if we do eventually get relegated the lack of infrastructure could be costly.

Firstly I very much doubt we will get 50 million for Callum, although I would be happy to be wrong. Also there is no guarantee of making profit from these young players. My main concern is that if we do eventually get relegated the lack of infrastructure could be costly.
Or the debt from the improved infrastructure could kill us after relegation. Can work both ways.

We may or may not get a new stadium but no excuse not to increase capacity which is desperately needed for the short term, which will probably pay for itself anyway.
It's worth a note that we are the only premier league team that have a cat 3 academy apart from huddersfield, who gave their cat 2 up voluntarily because they had so many big teams around them. All the rest have at least cat 2. Progressive club? I really don't know how we can claim that now, after nearly 6 years in the top 2 divisions.

We may or may not get a new stadium but no excuse not to increase capacity which is desperately needed for the short term, which will probably pay for itself anyway.
It's worth a note that we are the only premier league team that have a cat 3 academy apart from huddersfield, who gave their cat 2 up voluntarily because they had so many big teams around them. All the rest have at least cat 2. Progressive club? I really don't know how we can claim that now, after nearly 6 years in the top 2 divisions.

I think one of the minimum requirements for a Cat 2 is a dome which we won't get before the development of Canford Magna. I think one of the problems is it is very difficult to move through the "Cats" as they keep changing the rules, so just as you meet one set of criteria the rules have been changed. Its done to create a closed shop.

Definitely no excuse not to improve the capacity of what we have, a larger temporary south stand would be a start, filling in some corners would be a start, let's say we could get another 2500 fans in who'd get an opportunity to see the team play.
I dont buy the 'not wanting to spend on a rented ground' viewpoint, it's a different argument to a residential situation, the stadium helps facilitate the business and by getting more supporters in, it equals greater income from new potential customers

We were selling literally every player we could get money for just to delay the next administration. The growing rent on the stadium driving the club in only one direction.

On the other hand with "success on the pitch", I think EH is a pretty good authority on the costs of that so here's his comments:

“There is only one way our wages are going to go while we stay in the Premier League and that is up."

Lets say we win the league next season, so what? what then? Increase everyone's wages and spend more?

If we're "putting all our eggs in one basket" I'd put it in the one that gives me a club to support for the rest of my life rather that the one that gives me a story when I'm sat in a pub watching Sky Sports at 3pm on Saturday.

Kudos, are you proposing that a new stadium would give us a club to support for the rest of our lives ? Unfortunately, due to the amount of borrowing required, I don't think spending outright on a new stadium etc. would give us any more guarantees of having a club to support than any other approach.
I think we can do both though,
It starts with maintaining our premier league status, but with a longer term plan to reinvest a proportion of our income into infrastructure, starting with the training complex.
It's our best chance of a legacy

It's a tough one. Divert money from the team to infrastructure or spend every penny improving the squad. It would be nice to think we could do both but maybe the harsh reality is that the Board and EH believe the absolute top priority is the team.
Perhaps something is bubbling away under the surface with the ownership of the club that stops massive Director investment/ underwriting debt in facilities.
We would all like to know the answer.

Kudos, are you proposing that a new stadium would give us a club to support for the rest of our lives ? Unfortunately, due to the amount of borrowing required, I don't think spending outright on a new stadium etc. would give us any more guarantees of having a club to support than any other approach.
I think we can do both though,
It starts with maintaining our premier league status, but with a longer term plan to reinvest a proportion of our income into infrastructure, starting with the training complex.
It's our best chance of a legacy

We are net around £150M down in transfer fees. That's a lot of cash recoup from player sales before we even break even and in EH's own words, wages are only going up.

If we get relegated we will still get £220M in parachute payments.

Even with all the huge drama around the Amex it was less then £100M.

Last edited:

;