Cardiff City v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Cardiff City Trying To Avoid A Hat-Trick Of Home Defeats

Not sure if it was because of the international break, but our last home game was a very disappointing performance against QPR and not one shot on target from the Cherries in a drab 0-0 draw. AFCB now go into a very busy schedule with two games a week for the next three weeks. The first of those is a visit to Wales to play Cardiff City on Wednesday at 7.45 pm.

Cardiff City manager is Neil Harris, better known for his time as a player and manager at Millwall over the years. He joined the Bluebirds on the 16th November 2019. This was after Neil Warnock who was in his last season as Cardiff City manager, decided to leave the job early the day after their home defeat to visiting side Bristol City, Cardiff City were in 14th place after 16 games with 21 points. Harris led the Bluebirds to finish in 5th place with 71 points, in the playoff semi-finals they lost to Fulham who went on to win the final and gain promotion to the Premier League.

During the Summer Cardiff signed striker Kieffer Moore from Wigan Athletic for £2 million, Moore earlier in his career had a spell at Dorchester Town. Their other money signing was goalkeeper Dillon Phillips for an undisclosed fee from Charlton Athletic, he was also rumoured to be of interest to AFCB as well. They signed four players on loan, defender Jordi Osei-Tutu from Arsenal, defender Filip Benkovic from Leicester City and two midfield players from Liverpool, Harry Wilson who was on loan last season at AFCB and Sheyi Ojo.

This season so far Cardiff City have had their best results on their travels. They started the season with a 0-2 home defeat against Sheffield Wednesday. Their next game was away against Nottingham Forest, the game finished with the same 0-2 result, only this time in Cardiff City’s favour. It was back on Welsh soil again and another home defeat, 1-2 against Reading. Then followed two away games, first a 0-0 draw against Blackburn Rovers and then their most recent game the 0-1 win against Preston North End.

The last time the Cherries played the Bluebirds away, was in the Premier League 2018-19 season. Cardiff City won 2-0, this was their first season back in the top league since the 2013-14 season. It was short lived as at the end of the season Cardiff City were relegated back into the Championship.
In all our away league games against Cardiff City, AFCB have W 2, D 6, L 9.
In all competitions, AFCB have W 18, D 11, L 14.

Cardiff C Team News
Joe Bennett has been out injured, Greg Cunningham and Jordi Osei-Tutu went off with injuries in their recent game against Preston. Lee Tomlin missed the game through a one match suspension.

Cardiff C Player To Watch
Against Preston, the best player was centre back Sean Morrison who was solid in their defence. Kieffer Moore their big striker, strong in the air and showed a neat piece of skill in a breakaway that led to him assisting for the only goal of the game. Harry Wilson came on early in the game as a substitute and we will see what he can do on Wednesday night against our side. Last time he had a season in the Championship he scored 15 league goals for Derby County.

AFCB Team News
Lloyd Kelly has missed recent games through injury, otherwise both David Brooks and Josh King are back training and will be assessed ahead of game. Cameron Carter-Vickers is also been training but lacks game time. Not sure what the situation is with Philip Billing, he was left out of our squad against QPR for tactical reasons.

AFCB Player To Watch
Hoping that David Brooks will be available for this game and we will again see him in the number 10 role he played so well the last time he played for us and had a good understanding with Sam Surridge. Another player who could be available is Josh King, if he plays and is on form he could be a match winner for us.

Website on the signing of Harry Wilson. Described Wilson as the stardust they have been lacking.

Let’s hope he hasn’t got stardust on his boots on Wednesday night.

As for Harry Wilson, Harris himself admitted he couldn’t believe his luck that a player of the Wales international's calibre was available and attainable.

Cardiff have somehow managed to land a bona fide superstar.

Liverpool wanted in the region of £20m for him and those sorts of players do not tend to end up on loan in the second tier. Fortunately, Cardiff could offer familiar surroundings and the opportunity to impress Ryan Giggs ahead of next summer’s European Championships.

Make no mistake, the signing of Wilson is a game changer.

Cardiff now have the stardust they have been lacking for so long. In his extended cameo at Preston, Wilson showed mere flashes of what he is capable of and he still stood out a mile. I think he is capable of topping the already lofty expectations placed upon him and can go on to emulate Jason Koumas, who is still worshipped by swooning Cardiff supporters.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport.../cardiff-city-nailed-transfer-window-19131672

Last edited:
He’s the Welsh Dwight Gayle, “too good” for the championship, not good enough for the PL.

I might not have had as low opinion of him if we’d seen him play behind the striker, but as a winger he was mainly pants performance-wise.

Website on the signing of Harry Wilson. Described Wilson as the stardust they have been lacking.

Let’s hope he hasn’t got stardust on his boots on Wednesday night.

As for Harry Wilson, Harris himself admitted he couldn’t believe his luck that a player of the Wales international's calibre was available and attainable.

Cardiff have somehow managed to land a bona fide superstar.

Liverpool wanted in the region of £20m for him and those sorts of players do not tend to end up on loan in the second tier. Fortunately, Cardiff could offer familiar surroundings and the opportunity to impress Ryan Giggs ahead of next summer’s European Championships.

Make no mistake, the signing of Wilson is a game changer.

Cardiff now have the stardust they have been lacking for so long. In his extended cameo at Preston, Wilson showed mere flashes of what he is capable of and he still stood out a mile. I think he is capable of topping the already lofty expectations placed upon him and can go on to emulate Jason Koumas, who is still worshipped by swooning Cardiff supporters.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport.../cardiff-city-nailed-transfer-window-19131672
Watched the whole of Cardiffs game against Preston...two extremely poor sides. No sign of any stardust....Moore is a handful
If thats two championship standard teams then this is a very poor division

Stardust was exactly what our match against QPR lacked. In previous games we've had the likes of Lerma and Danjuma providing it, and Danjuma certainly helped when he came on against QPR as well. But there is a need for others to step up a bit in these upcoming tough games.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment I am forcing myself to hold back my laughter until AFTER we have beaten Cardiff - I do not want to tempt fate and cause him to have a worldy against us ! :(

:utc:
You have to admire the welsh....great sense of humour.......Superstar dear me.....:grinning:
I know what you mean though....no one likes to tempt fate!....and one of the few things he is capable is scoring the odd goal.... whilst being absolutly woeful at anything else he does on the pitch.....i still have nightmares about that first half of the Wolves match....watching him and Wee-rat attempting a press.

Mock Wilson at your peril... This game has him scoring a 93rd minute free kick winner all over it...

As was mentioned above, Wilson was rarely played in his best role... When he was, and was allowed more freedom to create, he looked very good and appeared in the right places to be one of our higher goal scorers last term...

However, with Brooks' anticipated return, these luxury players cant all be accommodated in the same side... but that seems to have backfired with Brooks seemingly made of more glass than ever before...

If the opportunity came to get Wilson on loan and he was allowed to play in the same role that Danjuma and Stan seem to have been given this season, then I'd have snapped him up. But we didn't and we can't so we just need to hope Brooks can get himself fit and be that star we need.

Let’s have some creative work in midfield - more haste, less speed. Brooks? Kilkenny? Midfield is the key - holding, feeding the wings, giving strikers a chance to get forward. Please.
How about this......

.............................................................Bego

.......................Mepham................Cookie.................Rico

Stacey..............Brooks..........Lerma..................Stan.............Smith

....................................................Danjuma

.....................................................King

Wouldn't be dull.

How about this......

Stacey..............Brooks..........Lerma..................Stan.............Smith

Wouldn't be dull.

I understand your confidence in him, but I dont think we should play Lewis in the centre of a back 3.

How often was Wilson anonymous only to pop up and score? He scored goals and that’s what worries me about tomorrow. Let’s hope we know the tactics to keep him quiet rather than he knows the tactics to score against us!

How about this......

Wouldn't be dull.
Given Cardiff's tendency to pack their box, I think this might be duller than you think. Swap Dom for King, Stick King and Danjuma either side of Brooks in 3-3-3-1. Compress midfield without the ball and force them to play longer than they like of late, ideally Solanke forcing them to left. Be really brave and drop Smithy for Lerma, restore Cook to midfield.

;