Cardiff City v AFC Bournemouth

Wait a minute. Aren’t opposition managers supposed to moan about our dark arts, time wasting and poor refs.

I thought you would've been supporting Cardiff today given how great the history of Wales is and how we made brutally made them learn our common tongue and ditch there ancient one like any other conquering country has ever done.

Some people say they like the look of Rogers but I've only seem him once so far when he came on against QPR and the first thing and only thing he did was tread on the ball and fall over.

It seems like we are attacking as a team and defending as a team.
If we are lucky with injuries and keep doing the same, we're going to be in the top 6, possible top 2

Why did the club limit sales in the way they did? There was plenty of space in the away section for several hundred more.
is it not down to the amount of tickets allocated to us, they may well of been more room but we only have what Cardiff give us to sell

Hi all,
I only listened to the game on the radio, and highlights aren't on COWS yet, so no real knowledge of what happened. This said, here is the xG timeline - it's also pleasing to report this is the fourth game in a row we had the higher xG.

The first half looked a cagey affair with not much happening xGs of 0.03 for Cardiff and 0.13 for AFCB. Straight after the break we had two big chances (reported as being in the same minute) with Solanke 0.36 and Billing 0.30. The goal itself, in the 54th minute was rated 1 in 33 - I've seen this, and I'm presuming the keeper was unsighted as he didn't move. No other good chances (> 1 in 10) were recorded, bar Phil Bill again in the 68th minute (1 in 5) and three from Cardiff, a 1 in 4 attempt from Collins in the 74th minute and in what I'm guessing was a penalty area scramble from a set play, attempts from Flint (1 in 6) and Morrison (1 in 10). Well done the Cherries defence - this was the lowest xG posted by Cardiff this season, and I think lots of teams will drop points to them.

Cardiff.JPG

Hi all,
I only listened to the game on the radio, and highlights aren't on COWS yet, so no real knowledge of what happened. This said, here is the xG timeline - it's also pleasing to report this is the fourth game in a row we had the higher xG.

The first half looked a cagey affair with not much happening xGs of 0.03 for Cardiff and 0.13 for AFCB. Straight after the break we had two big chances (reported as being in the same minute) with Solanke 0.36 and Billing 0.30. The goal itself, in the 54th minute was rated 1 in 33 - I've seen this, and I'm presuming the keeper was unsighted as he didn't move. No other good chances (> 1 in 10) were recorded, bar Phil Bill again in the 68th minute (1 in 5) and three from Cardiff, a 1 in 4 attempt from Collins in the 74th minute and in what I'm guessing was a penalty area scramble from a set play, attempts from Flint (1 in 6) and Morrison (1 in 10). Well done the Cherries defence - this was the lowest xG posted by Cardiff this season, and I think lots of teams will drop points to them.

View attachment 6373
I’m surprised that the PhilBill chance just after half time was only 0.3, from my viewpoint it looked like he had to score, a header from a looping ball four yards out where he had time to set himself but put it over

Currently seven points better off than at the same point in the club’s unforgettable promotion season of 2014/15.
That campaign also saw Bournemouth register their only prior competitive victory at this venue.
That’s a bit like first ever win in the Prem. who else remembers Chris Shaws goal in 1984 at Ninian Park? ;-)

Just my annual visit to say that was a well deserved win for you yesterday. The Bluebirds are not going to do much this season, given the loss of a lot of experience and quality over the summer. The financial disaster that will surely emerge from the economic effects of Covid and the end of parachute payments will be seen to be largely responsible for that.

Mick McCarthy out of necessity is bringing youngsters through, which is a novel experience in itself, but it will take time for anything positive to come from that.

In the meantime, we will continue to bully teams where we can and most supporters will be content with a mid-table position come the end of the season.

Good luck to the Cherries! It's anyone's league this season.

is it not down to the amount of tickets allocated to us, they may well of been more room but we only have what Cardiff give us to sell
Not sure it still works this way ,but don't the club have to pay for tickets they dont sell, hence they only ask for tickets they think will sell out ?

Cahill really did add the leadership bit. He was guiding the younger players and maintaining the line all the way through the match. A magnificent addition to our team.

There’s a fantastic photo of him on COWS (too big for me to upload unfortunately). It shows him going toe to toe with half the Cardiff team.

Cahill has, in effect, said he came here because he wants the challenge of winning the Championship rather than just pootling around for a final season. Everything I saw yesterday suggests that is the case.

Last edited:
Just my annual visit to say that was a well deserved win for you yesterday. The Bluebirds are not going to do much this season, given the loss of a lot of experience and quality over the summer. The financial disaster that will surely emerge from the economic effects of Covid and the end of parachute payments will be seen to be largely responsible for that.

Mick McCarthy out of necessity is bringing youngsters through, which is a novel experience in itself, but it will take time for anything positive to come from that.

In the meantime, we will continue to bully teams where we can and most supporters will be content with a mid-table position come the end of the season.

Good luck to the Cherries! It's anyone's league this season.
Welcome! Thank you for your comments! Am intrigued to hear what the general consensus is re McCarthy and his style of play? I completely get where you’re coming from in that you have lost quality and expectations are naturally lower this year, but surely you should still expect better than essentially punting the ball long at every opportunity and hoping for the best? You actually have some quite decent players at this level. Moore in particular is as well rounded a forward as you will get in the championship, I actually think his talents are wasted by just looking for his head at every opportunity. Bacuna and Vaulks are also more than decent at this level. Personally think that you should still be expecting better than that in all honesty, even Hull were a better watch than you and I believe they will finish comfortably in the bottom 2.

;