Cardiff train advice.

AlGard

UTC Legend
Obviously been a while since I have been back in the UK, and even longer since going to an away game by train.

The price I have found for Bournemouth to Cardiff is £65.
Is that the going rate, or am I missing out on discount ticket sites?

Thanks in advance.

Obviously been a while since I have been back in the UK, and even longer since going to an away game by train.

The price I have found for Bournemouth to Cardiff is £65.
Is that the going rate, or am I missing out on discount ticket sites?

Thanks in advance.

Seems like the going rate; try trainline.com

Is this a return ? Try putting in your times into ticketysplit.

If you can get to Salisbury that will reduce time and going to S'ton.

Try splitting the ticket.
Quick check Bournemouth to Temple Meads £45
Temple Meads to Cardiff £15.
Approx figures as varies slightly on time,

I did the Bournemouth - Southampton - Cardiff route once when last in the Championship. I think the train GWR laid on that day was British Railway's finest from about 1962. It perhaps would have been quicker and certainly more comfortable to cycle :grinning:

With a rail card from Salisbury £26.90 but engineering works that weekend means you will probably have to get on a bus from Bath Spa to Temple Meads. Not ideal.

I’m sure some kind hearted soul would give you a lift if you ask nicely. They will be regally entertained by your unique sense of humour.

The last time I travelled from Bournemouth to Cardiff on a train was a rather special day out with the train full of Cherries fans.

Can’t remember the price of the ticket then.

Old story from Echo.

ORIGINALLY built as two separate rural routes that eventually linked to provide a single-ticket ferry and train ride from South Wales to Paris via Poole, the Somerset & Dorset Railway closed under the Beeching axe in 1966.

Passengers on the Wales to France route had to board a ferry at Cardiff for the journey across the Bristol Channel to Burnham-on-Sea in Somerset, catch a train via Evercreech Junction to Poole, board another ferry for Cherbourg and then take a second train to the French capital.

The grandiose scheme was never successful and was dropped after a couple of years when the only passengers proved to be sheep and goats.

I’m sure some kind hearted soul would give you a lift if you ask nicely. They will be regally entertained by your unique sense of humour.
Ask Table if there is room on the magic bus, listening to Grateful Dead will certainly make the trip enjoyable, just don't ask if their have any Niel Sedaka songs.

Old story from Echo.

ORIGINALLY built as two separate rural routes that eventually linked to provide a single-ticket ferry and train ride from South Wales to Paris via Poole, the Somerset & Dorset Railway closed under the Beeching axe in 1966.

Passengers on the Wales to France route had to board a ferry at Cardiff for the journey across the Bristol Channel to Burnham-on-Sea in Somerset, catch a train via Evercreech Junction to Poole, board another ferry for Cherbourg and then take a second train to the French capital.

The grandiose scheme was never successful and was dropped after a couple of years when the only passengers proved to be sheep and goats.

Part of the old line is now a cycle route called the Two Tunnels because, well I guess you can work it out for yourselves. It links Bath with some glorious countryside south of the city, and to another cycle path which loops around to the Kennet & Avon canal linking Bath and Bradford on Avon. For anyone staying in Bath for a few days I’d thoroughly recommend bringing or hiring a bike for a morning or afternoon excursion.

Last edited:
Part of the old line is now a cycle route called the Two Tunnels because, well I guess you can work it out for yourselves. It links Bath with some glorious countryside south of the city, and to another a cycle path which loops around to the Kennet & Avon canal linking Bath and Bradford on Avon. For anyone staying in Bath for a few days I’d thoroughly recommend bringing or hiring a bike for a morning or afternoon excursion.

Had a holiday on a narrowboat from Foxhangers on the Kenner & Avon canal a number of years back, first time we had been on a narrowboat holiday, moored up at Bradford on Avon on our way to Bath.

Great holiday seeing things from a boat and as we were first timers the other more experienced boat people helped you out at the locks and when you first moored up.

Would highly recommend a holiday like that.

;