Cardiff v AFC Bournemouth

I think I would prefer Cardiff to see this as a must-win game and come out at us if I'm honest. Then we can tear them apart with our fast counter attacks. Our defence is looking solid enough at the moment, so bring it on I say !

I'd be more worried if they set out to sneak a point from the game and just sit back and let us have all of the ball. It's in those situations that we've struggled to break teams down in recent times. We get to the edge of their packed penalty area and then run out of ideas.

So I think we will have the easier time of it if they decide to come out and have a go at us. I can't see that ending well for them :wagging:

:utc:
You know, gazzer, I had the same thought, that they would try to do to us what we did to Chelsea. But TPC seems to be indicating otherwise, if I get his drift.

But question for all and sundry .... is Boruc back for this match or does Bego get the start. My question has nothing to do with performance (2 clean sheets, m'gawd) but Artur has not seen much playing time and I wonder about fitness. Genuine question, happy to be called an idiot if I am way off base.

You know, gazzer, I had the same thought, that they would try to do to us what we did to Chelsea. But TPC seems to be indicating otherwise, if I get his drift.

But question for all and sundry .... is Boruc back for this match or does Bego get the start. My question has nothing to do with performance (2 clean sheets, m'gawd) but Artur has not seen much playing time and I wonder about fitness. Genuine question, happy to be called an idiot if I am way off base.

Well if they play as TPC guesses then they will have to come out, otherwise there will be nobody forward to get on the end of the crosses. That would suit us, as long as we defend properly. I‘d be more concerned if they tried to sit deep, frustrate us and hope for a goal from a set piece. That can work for anybody against any team, but you need a bit of luck to get away with it. If Cardiff play an open game I think we have too much quality for them to come out on top.

Re Boruc. Unless he gets injured in training he starts. He has the shirt. He‘s likely to be fitter than Begovic anyway at the moment, certainly sharper because he‘s playing matches. Even at his age he shouldn‘t be struggling for fitness, for a goalie it‘s all about mobility and not aerobic fitness. If he has no aches and pains and has a full range of mobility, he‘s fit to start.

I don’t necessarily think Cardiff will play an open game. For sure they’ll put plenty of players behind the ball when we have possession. But I also think they’ll leave a few attackers high up the pitch looking to beat us in a physical battle

I don’t necessarily think Cardiff will play an open game. For sure they’ll put plenty of players behind the ball when we have possession. But I also think they’ll leave a few attackers high up the pitch looking to beat us in a physical battle
As long as they try to be a bit positive I think that should suit us. As you say, we should be prepared to defend aerial balls, they’re not the sort of team to try to walk it into the net. They are probably the sort of team we don’t enjoy playing against to be fair. We just need to be wide awake for crosses and set plays and avoid making howlers in and around our own penalty area. It will certainly be a totally different game to the last one, that’s for sure.

We shouldn’t underestimate them, they have it all to play for and are playing at home. Three points on Saturday would be massive for them but would also place us firmly in the battle for seventh place. If we play to our normal levels and don’t treat it like an easy game I think we’ll be coming away with the points. Trouble is we are prone to getting a poor result after an amazing one or giving three points to teams who couldn’t buy a point previously.
:slap:
Nonetheless

I think I would prefer Cardiff to see this as a must-win game and come out at us if I'm honest. Then we can tear them apart with our fast counter attacks. Our defence is looking solid enough at the moment, so bring it on I say !

I'd be more worried if they set out to sneak a point from the game and just sit back and let us have all of the ball. It's in those situations that we've struggled to break teams down in recent times. We get to the edge of their packed penalty area and then run out of ideas.

So I think we will have the easier time of it if they decide to come out and have a go at us. I can't see that ending well for them :wagging:

In the same way that Huddersfield did last season. That was a painful lunchtime oop north last season.

I really hope we can back up the Chelsea win. This could be the type of game we have to huff and puff and graft hard for everything, not as fluid as Wednesdays 2nd half.

If we go into the game with the same mentality as before Chelsea then I think we will do well, my only niggling concern is that if we go in thinking ‘we just beat Chelsea we’ve got this in the bag’ (guilty in the past) then we might get a slap In the face.

As long as they try to be a bit positive I think that should suit us. As you say, we should be prepared to defend aerial balls, they’re not the sort of team to try to walk it into the net. They are probably the sort of team we don’t enjoy playing against to be fair. We just need to be wide awake for crosses and set plays and avoid making howlers in and around our own penalty area. It will certainly be a totally different game to the last one, that’s for sure.

We shouldn’t underestimate them, they have it all to play for and are playing at home. Three points on Saturday would be massive for them but would also place us firmly in the battle for seventh place. If we play to our normal levels and don’t treat it like an easy game I think we’ll be coming away with the points. Trouble is we are prone to getting a poor result after an amazing one or giving three points to teams who couldn’t buy a point previously.
:slap:
Nonetheless

Cardiff have to go for it.

To get to 40 points, Cardiff have to win 6 and draw four of the remaining 14 matches. With four of those matches against top six sides and only three six-pointers against relegation threatened sides, they can't just sit back against teams like us.

A very open and high scoring match is possible.

...we should have enough to temper Cardiff on Saturday...maybe Brooks will be out I guess, so Ibe will get another chance to prove his worth?

But we have the big pole in our goal !!...and hopefully Lerma may be back?

at least Arter won't be available to possibly haunt us!!

Agreed with most on here. They need to win and after recent events the whole club will be pulling together and hoping for something to cheer about.

Wonder if Eddie is considering moving Ake into midfield for this one, especially with Lerma possibly about?

Unbelievable shift from Surman and Gosling against Chelsea however think this game could be 1 too many.

Can't wait for this one - any recommendations regards pubs?

------------Boruc------------
Clyne---Cook--Ake---Daniels
-----Lerma-----Surman-----
Ibe------Stanislas------Fraser
-------------King-------------

Subs: Begovic, Smith, Rico, Mepham, Gosling, Mousset, Solanke

This would be my guess. Surman ahead of Gosling because we will probably end up having more of the ball. If Lerma isn't fit enough to play, then I suppose it'll be Gosman again; with Taylor perhaps on the bench? Wouldn't be surprised to see Daniels coming in for Smith to give him a bit of a reprieve; Daniels has looked a lot better in his cameos recently. Hope Solanke gets on at some point.

If Brooks is fit, may as well start exactly the same team as Chelsea, except maybe resting Smith.

------------Boruc------------
Clyne---Cook--Ake---Daniels
-----Lerma-----Surman-----
Ibe------Stanislas------Fraser
-------------King-------------

Subs: Begovic, Smith, Rico, Mepham, Gosling, Mousset, Solanke

This would be my guess. Surman ahead of Gosling because we will probably end up having more of the ball. If Lerma isn't fit enough to play, then I suppose it'll be Gosman again; with Taylor perhaps on the bench? Wouldn't be surprised to see Daniels coming in for Smith to give him a bit of a reprieve; Daniels has looked a lot better in his cameos recently. Hope Solanke gets on at some point.

If Brooks is fit, may as well start exactly the same team as Chelsea, except maybe resting Smith.
...why rest Smith...he is integral to our recent upturn in form? Would hope that he would want to play as well? Daniels is a big risk to start IMO..would prefer Gosling to Surman in a game that will be probably feisty and hard fought?

;