Carry on Covid - pre kick off match day experience.

All went off pretty well last night. Got there about 6-35, so "late" - my steak and chips at The Nightjar took longer to eat than I thought ! Wasn't a problem though and the girl said it was better if people did vary arrival time as they had been queueing around the ground before the gates opened - surely this defeats the object of trying to keep people distanced ?
I was in the North Stand only a few seats away from my normal one and I reckon I had the perfect view of the goal, and yes it was great to jump out of my seat and cheer wildly. Thought the atmosphere was pretty good considering.
Looked like the East Stand fans didn't get let in until near 7 p.m. - someone please correct me if I am wrong, but there was a big influx of people at that time. If true that is far too long to be kept waiting outside. Queue for the gents well managed but confused me, thats just me being thick. My missus took a flask in - no problem, I do think they should have basic food and drink available, maybe outside the ground beforehand. Anyway really glad I went and I felt a lot safer than going round the local Tesco.

All went off pretty well last night. Got there about 6-35, so "late" - my steak and chips at The Nightjar took longer to eat than I thought ! Wasn't a problem though and the girl said it was better if people did vary arrival time as they had been queueing around the ground before the gates opened - surely this defeats the object of trying to keep people distanced ?
I was in the North Stand only a few seats away from my normal one and I reckon I had the perfect view of the goal, and yes it was great to jump out of my seat and cheer wildly. Thought the atmosphere was pretty good considering.
Looked like the East Stand fans didn't get let in until near 7 p.m. - someone please correct me if I am wrong, but there was a big influx of people at that time. If true that is far too long to be kept waiting outside. Queue for the gents well managed but confused me, thats just me being thick. My missus took a flask in - no problem, I do think they should have basic food and drink available, maybe outside the ground beforehand. Anyway really glad I went and I felt a lot safer than going round the local Tesco.
I think we have to wait for JT and the players to come from the Pavilion and into the East/Ted corner. Luckily the weather wasn't too bad.

View attachment 4691
Nowhere near as eloquent as fritter but I was so pleased to be back last night.

Is that the East Stand platform Rob? Isn't that opposite your normal spot, what did you reckon?

I was in the Ted shed on Saturday so completely different to my normal spot in front of Rob's new perch in the East. I was looking forward to it but was surprised how much I loved it. Granted we got a better game than you guys last night but I literally jumped off my feet for the first three goals. Obviously it's nowhere near being at DC under normal circumstances but it is a hell of a lot better than being at home watching a crap stream.

Is that the East Stand platform Rob? Isn't that opposite your normal spot, what did you reckon?

I was in the Ted shed on Saturday so completely different to my normal spot in front of Rob's new perch in the East. I was looking forward to it but was surprised how much I loved it. Granted we got a better game than you guys last night but I literally jumped off my feet for the first three goals. Obviously it's nowhere near being at DC under normal circumstances but it is a hell of a lot better than being at home watching a crap stream.
I've been on that platform before, its a great vantage point.

It was an odd experience, but I was pleased to be back last night. It's better than nothing! It felt like something out of 1984, A Clockwork Orange or HighRise, no orgies but a strict totalitarian regime with one way traffic and no go areas and worst of all no alcohol!
I hope this is something we look back on in years to come as a strange quirk in normality and not a glimpse at the future of football.

Just behind me in the queue a chap had a flask and I heard stewards asking among themselves whether it was ok to let it in. The consensus was that it was ok (despite it being on the prohibited list strictly speaking which is why they were unsure).

Think the flask was for tea/coffee rather than easy access gents facilities, but could be wrong :)

Just behind me in the queue a chap had a flask and I heard stewards asking among themselves whether it was ok to let it in. The consensus was that it was ok (despite it being on the prohibited list strictly speaking which is why they were unsure).

Think the flask was for tea/coffee rather than easy access gents facilities, but could be wrong :)
When I was told that you had to queue outside to use the gents at half time i thought they meant go and pee in the bushes..........................................

Well that was a very different experience.
Got into the TedMac easily and with no dramas at about 6.40, having had a couple of cans on a Kings Park bench beforehand.
I have never been in a ground that early - usually don’t leave the QP till 20 mins before kick off. So had honestly never seen all the pre-match warm up. I suppose it is obvious, but I never realised the ref and his assistants run around and warm up too. It was interesting, but I’d be very happy to get back to missing it and being in the pub.
Strange atmosphere with so few dotted around, but must say everyone made an effort and there was a decent noise at times. Was nice to see a small part of some old faces. Was great to be back watching the team live after so long - but it is a strangely hollow experience. I’ll keep going in for the ballots, but I yearn for the real football atmosphere of a full ground again. Let’s hope it’s not too long.

“Having had a couple of cans on a Kings Park bench beforehand”. You’re living the dream there Gary.

I was in the East Stand as usual, but near the front in row C, rather than near the back. Better view than I expected. Strange atmosphere, but it was well organised and felt safe to me. Interesting to hear the players - I had no idea that Begovic was so loud and assertive.

I was in the East stand for a change, long queue glad I arrived late at 7.45, I was surprised when I got home and saw the Watford summary that hardly any fans had their masks on in the ground and very few stewards that I could see. I don't get the idea of no refreshments at Dean Court, what is the difference between that and going into a takeaway coffee shop as long as you take it back to your seat to rink it. After the game the exit gate for the east stand was so narrow it caused fans to get caught up in congestion again defeating the object of keeping ones distance. Overall it was managed but could be better.

I was in the East stand for a change, long queue glad I arrived late at 7.45, I was surprised when I got home and saw the Watford summary that hardly any fans had their masks on in the ground and very few stewards that I could see. I don't get the idea of no refreshments at Dean Court, what is the difference between that and going into a takeaway coffee shop as long as you take it back to your seat to rink it. After the game the exit gate for the east stand was so narrow it caused fans to get caught up in congestion again defeating the object of keeping ones distance. Overall it was managed but could be better.
I meant late at 6.45

“Having had a couple of cans on a Kings Park bench beforehand”. You’re living the dream there Gary.

I was in the East Stand as usual, but near the front in row C, rather than near the back. Better view than I expected. Strange atmosphere, but it was well organised and felt safe to me. Interesting to hear the players - I had no idea that Begovic was so loud and assertive.

I thought that about Begovic on Saturday. He sounds like he's trying to warn an entire village about an impending moose attack. Perhaps our Canadian contributors can confirm.

Maybe people sacked it off when they heard that you had to turn up 2 hours before kick off... surely it would've been better to release all the rules and regs at the same time the ballot opened, not the day before the game.
I didn't look at my requested time yesterday as I was working. All I can say is, we turned up at about 7-15, quickly through security and ST scanning and went to our seats. No drama whatsoever.

I always thought a lack of communication was an issue at the back - how wrong can you be when you hear Bego’s booming foghorn voice marshalling the players , along with Cookie sorting people out ...

;