Charlie Austin

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Given Eddie's propensity to sign anyone he's previously had any connection with, it doesn't seem a huge leap to see that should that lot go down he may make a move. That injury record though...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/premier-league-rivals-ready-throw-12298446

Southampton's wages bill last season was £108.7 million and has probably increased this year. They may also have been too arrogant to insert relegation clauses in some or all of their contracts. If they go down they will be desperate to unload their high earners, not just Austin.

Expect lots more speculation like this. One journalist to look out for is Jeremy Wilson in the Telegraph who is very close to the Southampton board. (Which is why he chirrups on about the "Southampton model"). If he starts talking about potential moves there may be some substance to it.

Couldn't possibly happen, little plucky tinpot Bournemouth cherry picking from our massive neighbours surely not, or could we?

Would he want to come here? His first choice was always Saints.

Poor injury record over last two seasons.

But when he plays he does score goals.

Found these two stories.

In an exclusive interview with the Daily Echo, Austin, who played under Howe during the Cherries manager’s 21-month stay at Burnley, said: “There were talks but that was as far as it went.

“I could have left QPR in the summer but the right club didn’t come in for me.

"That is why I waited. I had no intention to move and was happy to see out the season at QPR. But Southampton came in for me and it was no-brainer to get the deal done.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14310437.Charlie_Austin__I_held_talks_with_AFC_Bournemouth_this_season/

CHARLIE Austin admitted he had been at a loss to explain why Cherries supporters gave him grief.

The former Poole Town striker netted Southampton’s equaliser in today’s 1-1 draw at Vitality Stadium.

His fourth goal of the season came four years to the day since he scored for QPR in a 3-0 win over Cherries at Loftus Road in the Championship.

Austin was taunted by a section of home fans throughout the Premier League clash and responded by celebrating his goal in front of the Ted MacDougall Stand.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/15699509.Charlie_Austin_perplexed_by_grief_from_Cherries_fans/

Not sure we'd have room for Defoe and Austin, both in the older (expensive) clinical finisher type. We need pace and movement from our forwards first and foremost.

Offers us the strike option we don’t have currently...attacker of crosses.

If Eddie decides to cash in on Wilson and get Austin he would have King and Mousset for pace and movement, a target man, a fox in the box and space in squad for a striker to develop if Afobe and Grabban move on. Maybe those lads from Bristol City and Colchester etc.

Neil Dawson - 4/4/2018 09:57

Offers us the strike option we don’t have currently...attacker of crosses.

If Eddie decides to cash in on Wilson and get Austin he would have King and Mousset for pace and movement, a target man, a fox in the box and space in squad for a striker to develop if Afobe and Grabban move on. Maybe those lads from Bristol City and Colchester etc.

Agreed Neil, but I think the injury record would be the biggest problem.

Also, someone please help poor Charlie to understand that giving it very large to us when he scored for QPR in a midweek game up there a few years ago has something to do with it. We couldn't understand it either Charlie.

I wasn’t saying we should sign him. Just saying if Eddie does consider it it will be because he offers another option we don’t have. I still think we will go for Rodriguez. More likely for a few reasons... he is more mobile and West Brom will go down. Sadly, I think Southampton might have enough to get four points and I can’t see Huddersfield getting any more at all.

Jay Rodriguez was a popular player with the fans of Saints.

Seems injury problems again, like Austin.

But has played a good number of games for West Brom this season.

Comments from the fans of Saints as he left to join West Brom.

The Southampton fans are certainly sorry to see him go..

It's not always the case when a player departs for a rival club in the same division, but West Bromwich Albion fans should be encouraged by the send off Saints supporters have given Jay Rodriguez.

Many of the St Mary's faithful recognise that the popular striker could have gone on to bigger and better things at Southampton were it not for persistent injury problems.

Because of this, it was very much a case of 'goodbye and good luck' rather than 'good riddance' when he completed his move to The Hawthorns today for a reported £12 million fee.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jay-rodriguez-farewell-messages-bode-13271305

West Brom website and player of the season.

Rondon seems very popular.

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4cf781d21943599188dfe19a5e1d611b&topic=21632.0

It's a no from me.
Getting too old,poor injury record and high earner.
I would have loved us to have signed him that first season we went up instead of Murray,but not now.

bigfatolly - 4/4/2018 18:15

It's a no from me.
Getting too old,poor injury record and high earner.
I would have loved us to have signed him that first season we went up instead of Murray,but not now.

Agree olly, would have been good a couple of years ago.

;