Charlie Daniels

Chaz deserves another chance with us after all the injuries and rehab.

I’m sure we’ll all enjoy watching him bomb down the left wing and smash in a pinpoint cross for somebody for one last season (?).

Fingers crossed he has healed properly and soon becomes a full blown member of the squad once again. Another player who can be relied upon to always give 100%.

If we're going to stick with 3 CBs as the setup then Charlie can play the on the left of that three. He's done it before.
Was thinking that earlier. Can't expect him to be tearing up and down the flanks anymore but would still have a lot to offer in a 3. Would also save being pushed into having to buy another central defender for the moment.

Chaz deserves another chance with us after all the injuries and rehab.

I’m sure we’ll all enjoy watching him bomb down the left wing and smash in a pinpoint cross for somebody for one last season (?).

Fingers crossed he has healed properly and soon becomes a full blown member of the squad once again. Another player who can be relied upon to always give 100%.
Agree he will give 100% but there comes a day when your 100% isn't as good as it was or as good as the new guy coming through. Has to be judged on his merits when given a shot.

Rather see Zemura as left of 3 at back, pace most valuable attribute for right and left sides of back three imo. instead Charlie as left mid (not wingback) behind Danjuma (left wing), overlapping to supply those crosses without the need to track all the way back every time into a back 4. Even better if they can interchange, so opposition just can't keep up with what they are up to. Obviously rotating Rico to keep all three fresh.

Agree he will give 100% but there comes a day when your 100% isn't as good as it was or as good as the new guy coming through. Has to be judged on his merits when given a shot.

Rather see Zemura as left of 3 at back, pace most valuable attribute for right and left sides of back three imo. instead Charlie as left mid (not wingback) behind Danjuma (left wing), overlapping to supply those crosses without the need to track all the way back every time into a back 4. Even better if they can interchange, so opposition just can't keep up with what they are up to. Obviously rotating Rico to keep all three fresh.
Charlie might not have lost any pace, he came back from his last ACL without too much loss of pace. Obviously that pace is part of his game so he will be judged on that when he comes back. That in turn will determine his role in the squad. I’m hopeful though that he’ll come back as a useful LHS wingback option, which will give us some cover there.

He is at his best going forward and supplies some of the best crosses we have seen in recent years. Charlie is a fighter so I wouldn’t rule out seeing the classic CD again this season. But as you say, he might have a different role to play moving forward, if injuries have taken their toll.

There’s a lot of perception that once you have an ACL you lose your pace. There’s also an assumption that once you are past 30 you lose your pace too.

Other sports have shown this to be nonsense. Even at our club, the examples people will shout about as proof are in reality players who seemed quick in the Championship being compared to players who didn’t quite seem as quick in the PL; age, injury, both or otherwise notwithstanding.

Now in Charlie’s case he ticks both the age and injury box. However, it is the Championship not the PL. Whether it’s LCB, LB or LWB, there’s certainly a role somewhere for a fully fit Charlie Daniels

Daniels looked comfortable on the left in a defensive three before (eg at Chelsea a few seasons back) so could do the same in the champ. Like the look of JZ - still learning of course but in a season or so could be a regular starter.

Great player, and that strike v Man City.

Let's hope he recovers well from his injury.

If the surgery is done properly a reconstructed ACL is stronger than the ones we are born with.

No reason he cant come back the same player he was before the injury.

Last edited:
Chelsea picked us for Ake because we said we would utilise him in a defensive midfield position and only as emergency defence cover. Eddie is a man of his word and I don't think he sees him as left back cover, particularly having spent what he did on Brad Smith.

Ake could play instead of Surman though, which I would like to see given a go to add a bit of athleticism in midfield and extra height in both boxes at set pieces...

Daniels is an outstanding player who is having a rough patch. A managers job is to know which players are better for being dropped and come back fighting and which players need to play their way back into form. We should trust Eddies judgement on this - I do.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess.

I think Chelsea chose us as we were paying most of his wages.

Great player, and that strike v Man City.

Let's hope he recovers well from his injury.

If the surgery is done properly a reconstructed ACL is stronger than the ones we are born with.

No reason he cant come back the same player he was before the injury.

Remember his quality goal v Yeovil away in 2011 - our third - a mazy dribble through their defence and a fine finish - an early example of what Chez was capable of .

We've got a lot of players without Champo' experience and eager youngsters. Charlie's had a couple of season's, he knows what's needed to win the season, not just the next match. Could be this season's Ian Harte : )

Daniels has been written off for years and yet has never been replaced with anyone on par.

If he comes back to anything like his former self he will be a very important player at left centre back, left back or wing back.

I do wonder if he’s included in Tindall’s “two or three” wanted additions though.

Daniels has been written off for years and yet has never been replaced with anyone on par.

If he comes back to anything like his former self he will be a very important player at left centre back, left back or wing back.

I do wonder if he’s included in Tindall’s “two or three” wanted additions though.
Pugh has also gone very quiet, you would think after 3 weeks of training with us and knowing him for 10 years we could have either signed or released him. But also could be included in the ‘two or three’

There’s a lot of perception that once you have an ACL you lose your pace. There’s also an assumption that once you are past 30 you lose your pace too.

Other sports have shown this to be nonsense. Even at our club, the examples people will shout about as proof are in reality players who seemed quick in the Championship being compared to players who didn’t quite seem as quick in the PL; age, injury, both or otherwise notwithstanding.

Now in Charlie’s case he ticks both the age and injury box. However, it is the Championship not the PL. Whether it’s LCB, LB or LWB, there’s certainly a role somewhere for a fully fit Charlie Daniels
Charlie didnt have an ACL, he dislocated his kneecap! Still a lot to offer if we can get him fit

Charlie didnt have an ACL, he dislocated his kneecap! Still a lot to offer if we can get him fit
I’m dubious about the dislocated knee cap diagnosis. That type of injury is usually just a few weeks out. He may well have dislocated his knee in addition to another injury but to be out for over a year it was clearly a far more serious injury

;