Charlie Daniels

There are two separate issues here and it's important to not get them confused.

1. Who is calling the shots? If Surman was told he was leaving two weeks ago but JT thought he was making the decision last week then who is actually in charge of these things?

2. Whatever the answer to number 1, why didn't JT pick up the phone and get in touch with Surman last week? No matter how busy he was, that kind of thing has to be top of the pile as it's basic man management. A poor approach there will filter through to the squad. Football is as much about man management as it is about tactics and the rest. I don't see any excuse at all for Jason not to have contacted both these two long serving team members.

Quoting myself may be a sign of madness but point 2 above from the 'Francis and Surman' thread is just as relevant when it comes to Daniels.

The first time it happened you could maybe forgive it due to a new manager in situ, lots of craziness going on trying to organise things and maybe a genuine oversight.

This time around there was no excuse. Especially having the same thing already happen once earlier in the season.

Not respecting long serving players who have done a lot of the club when their journey with us has come to the end is bordering on narcissistic.

I'm really wondering if JT knows how to deal with people. There's these two examples on top of the Billing mutterings, the Junior/Surridge incident, the Simpson leak of a bid accepted to a place in whcihhe had no interest in going.

Some things are not being handled correctly in the back office and not all of them can be passed up the chain of command.

You would think that at the very least, any player leaving the club would be called into the manager's office for a farewell chat. "Thanks", "Good luck in your future career" and so on. I'm not surprised that the contract side of things was beyond JT's scope but you'd like to think that a manager would be able to officially thank and bid farewell to one of his own players, once a decision has been made.

Maybe that does happen and we're just not getting to hear about it. What we are hearing in the press does sound pretty cold-hearted though !

To be fair Tindall may have done that. Daniels alludes to things being said and not gone through with. That may mean contract side of things, not how Tindall treated him.

Not to say Tindall didn't contribute to him being disappointed of course and certainly appears someone needs to be looking at how many people are stepping forwards feeling aggrieved at how we parted company with them.

Seems like such a basic/easy thing to get right, particularly for a multi-million pound business, its slightly concerning/odd that several people have come forwards over the past few months.

Last edited:
As has been said, regardless of whose responsibility it is to handle the comings and goings, Tindall needs to get himself involved to a point where he can at least handle himself correctly in front of the media...

At the moment is seems like he is just sticking his head in the sand and moving on... #notgoodenough

Edited to add: Where did the Jack Simpson thing come out that he knew nothing about the move and didn't want to go...?

Last edited:
To be fair Tindall may have done that. Daniels alludes to things being said and not gone through with. That may mean contract side of things, not how Tindall treated him.

Not to say Tindall didn't contribute to him being disappointed of course and certainly appears someone needs to be looking at how many people are stepping forwards feeling aggrieved at how we parted company with them.

Seems like such a basic/easy thing to get right, particularly for a multi-million pound business, its slightly concerning/odd that several people have come forwards over the past few months.
Yes. Particularly worrying considering that in the past our ex-players have had nothing but good things to say about the club. They always bang on about ours being a family club and it used to be the case that the players still felt a part of the family long after they had left. Now it all just "feels" a bit cold and mercenary. More people seem to be leaving the club on slightly sour terms, that's the impression I'm getting. I'm not liking it !

Are you saying you think managers automatically have good social skills? Hahahahaha!!! Maybe Tindell meant to talk to him and then felt embarrassed because he hadn't so hid away. Still crap but there may have been intent to do the right thing. I have been lucky enough to work with some wonderful managers. Also, I've worked with a few appalling ones. It's not an easy job and not one I would ever want, but it does seem that basic social skills and decency are lacking in some people. Charlie and others deserve an apology.

Are you saying you think managers automatically have good social skills? Hahahahaha!!! Maybe Tindell meant to talk to him and then felt embarrassed because he hadn't so hid away. Still crap but there may have been intent to do the right thing. I have been lucky enough to work with some wonderful managers. Also, I've worked with a few appalling ones. It's not an easy job and not one I would ever want, but it does seem that basic social skills and decency are lacking in some people. Charlie and others deserve an apology.

It would be odd for someone to be managing at so high a level and not be aware of the potential ramifications, even if they don't really care about the player as such. But you are right, some right plonkers can end up in managerial positions. Seems such an easy thing to get right though.

There have been plenty of examples over the years of players being advised they're gone via text or managers getting the boot. Obviously we don;t know full back story behind it, but even if its someone you didn;t see eye to eye with or like at all, you'd still think at those levels you;d rise above it and conduct big things like that face to face.

I thought about that one during the discussion about Christie's shooting. Perhaps CD could give him some lessons on how to put your foot through the ball!!

I thought about that one during the discussion about Christie's shooting. Perhaps CD could give him some lessons on how to put your foot through the ball!!
Or even how to head it: that last headed goal against Chelsea was brilliantly memorable. I always enjoy watching their centre back bouncing up and down in frustration.

;