Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth League Cup Quarter Final

billythekid

UTC Legend
Repeat Contest To Last Year

After losing in the Premier League to Wolves, it’s back to League Cup action again. This time against Chelsea, again at Stamford Bridge, on a Wednesday night as last year, but a day earlier and also in the Quarter-Final.

Chelsea have progressed this far by beating Liverpool at Anfield 1-2 in the Third Round. Both Liverpool and Chelsea came into this cup in this round as they were competing in Europe. In the Fourth Round Chelsea were drawn at home at Stamford Bridge. They came up against their old long time servant and a favourite Chelsea player in Frank Lampard who is the manager of Derby County. Derby had knocked Manchester United out in the previous round on penalties at Old Trafford. But it was Chelsea who were the victors this time winning 3-2.

AFCB were drawn at home at Dean Court in the Second Round against League 2 MK Dons, the home side won comfortably 3-0. In the Third Round the Cherries were again at home, this time the visitors were Championship side Blackburn Rovers. After taking a two goal lead, Blackburn came back to make it 2-2 and only an injury time winner from substitute Callum Wilson put his team into the Fourth Round. The Cherries had a hat-trick of home draws, the next was another Championship side, Norwich City came to Dean Court, it finished 2-1 and AFCB marched on into the Quarter-Finals where they visit Stamford Bridge and Chelsea.

The Cherries have met Chelsea twice before in this competition. First time in 1994-95, Chelsea won both the home and away games by 1-0. The other game was last season at Stamford Bridge which Chelsea won 2-1.
In a game where AFCB had more shots and equal possession, Chelsea took an early lead through Willian, it looked like the Cherries had earned themselves extra time when Dan Gosling equalised in the 90th minute. But it wasn’t to be as into one minute of injury time Morata scored the Chelsea winner.

Chelsea Team News
Eden Hazard suffered a knock against Brighton but is expected to be available, though at best he will be on the subs bench with such a busy December schedule of matches. Victor Moses and Alvaro Morata are out injured. Expect a number of Chelsea changes.

Chelsea Player To Watch
Difficult one to choose with Chelsea probably resting players. But Willian has started in all their League Cup games, Oliver Giroud their only fit striker will be a problem if he starts. Ruben Loftus-Cheek who has been linked with us must be worth a watch. Pedro another, but the obvious choice would be Eden Hazard, but he may be rested after picking up a knock against Brighton.

AFCB Team News
With a number of players injured, latest being Simon Francis hip injury and Tyronne Mings with a back injury, though latest report says not as bad as first thought. With our busy schedule, think Eddie will ring the changes and bring in some fringe players and give some who have played regularly lately a much needed rest before the Brighton game.

AFCB Player To Watch
Jermain Defoe will probably start this game and will want to make an impression to give himself a sniff of a first team start. Lys Mousset will also be out to impress.

Can't see our central midfield being changed...

It'll be interesting to see if Eddie has three at the back against an expected weakened Chelsea side, and whether or not some youngsters such as Simpson, Oformah and Kyle Taylor (don't know if he's available) will feature. Either way it will be an exciting encounter.

This is a game where I believe that all the players that are likely to be involved for the Brighton game should be left out of this game bar one or two exceptions that should be swopped over at half time. This will protect from further injuries and fatique after playing three games in seven days. Ibe will operate as a make shift right back to carry the ball out when in possession obviously he cannot defend.

My line-up would be:

Boruc

Ibe Simpson S.Cook Rico

Stanislas K.Taylor Oborfore Pugh

Defoe Moussett

Subs: Ramsdale, Daniels, Brooks, Lerma, Ake, Fraser (programe seller)

Note: S.Cook off at half time for Ake - Stanislas off at half time for Brooks.

Sorry, I’ve answered my own question:

The Cherries manager filled in on the duo’s progress: “Callum Wilson had a hamstring problem and we rushed him back to be fit for Wolves, we still have to be careful with him to make sure he can perform over the coming games.”
“Tyrone Mings’ injury isn’t as bad as we first thought, he took a knock to his hip and at first we thought he could be out for weeks but by the looks of things it looks more like he’ll be out for days, so we’re monitoring him.”
Also missing in the West Midlands was captain Simon Francis, with Howe commenting that the defender is closing in on a return.
“Simon Francis has a groin problem,” the manager said. “It’s more of a niggle than anything else, we’ll wait and see how he performs this week. I can’t give you a clear answer on his availability for Chelsea.”
Howe has looked to rotate his squad in the Carabao Cup this season, but with Lewis Cook and Adam Smith also out with longer term injuries the manager could have less choices able to be made for the trip to Stamford Bridge.
He continued: “The options are less than I’d normally have, we do have a number of injury concerns so we’ll have to manage the squad well, picking a team that we think can play very well without risking the players we have.
“It’s a great game for us, we’re very excited to be in the competition and trying to get to the semi-final. It’s well documented that we’ve never been in a major cup semi-final before, so what greater incentive can we have? We’re very excited to try and make that happen.

Was there any news at Eddies press conference this morning ref Francis and Mings’ injuries

The Cherries manager filled in on the duo’s progress: “Callum Wilson had a hamstring problem and we rushed him back to be fit for Wolves, we still have to be careful with him to make sure he can perform over the coming games.”

“Tyrone Mings’ injury isn’t as bad as we first thought, he took a knock to his hip and at first we thought he could be out for weeks but by the looks of things it looks more like he’ll be out for days, so we’re monitoring him.”

Also missing in the West Midlands was captain Simon Francis, with Howe commenting that the defender is closing in on a return.

“Simon Francis has a groin problem,” the manager said. “It’s more of a niggle than anything else, we’ll wait and see how he performs this week. I can’t give you a clear answer on his availability for Chelsea.”

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/team-news-pre-chelsea-update-on-trio

It’s a real difficult call on this one in my mind. Tough game against very good opposition for a semi final in a cup... you would think it would have to be a strong team . Weigh that against the risk of aggravating minor injuries into something more serious then I think I’m up for fit players first even if they are down the pecking order

It’s a real difficult call on this one in my mind. Tough game against very good opposition for a semi final in a cup... you would think it would have to be a strong team . Weigh that against the risk of aggravating minor injuries into something more serious then I think I’m up for fit players first even if they are down the pecking order

Also you have to take into consideration the fatique factor. We cannot really involve any players that are like to be involved in the Brightion game. Otherwise they will be knackered for Saturday. Hence, my proposed line-up earlier on this thread.

I'd like to see as sensible an amount of rotation as possible while still having enough to win the game

-------------Boruc-------------
---Cook--Mings--Simpson---
Ibe----Lerma----Taylor----Rico
-------------Brooks-------------
------King--------Mousset------

Subs: Ramsdale, Ake, Ofoborh, Fraser, Pugh, Wilson, Defoe

Please don’t play Jack Simpson at right CB. Good player but he’s all left foot and so far has struggled when played at RCB - perhaps why we’ve not seen much of him.

Talking to a Newcastle fan yesterday....he can't stop his obsession with us...loves watching us play....he can't understand why Eddie plays players out of position instead of putting in like for like from the reserves or youth. Every time I see him he bangs on about it.
I totally agree with his point tbf.......years ago when Bumstead was injured Weller came in....when Crickmore was injured, Coxon came back in. Simple and not disruptive to formation!

I'd like to see as sensible an amount of rotation as possible while still having enough to win the game

-------------Boruc-------------
---Cook--Mings--Simpson---
Ibe----Lerma----Taylor----Rico
-------------Brooks-------------
------King--------Mousset------

Subs: Ramsdale, Ake, Ofoborh, Fraser, Pugh, Wilson, Defoe

Maybe a bit early for Tyronne, maybe rest him for Saturday.

Even though reports say Tyronne not as bad as first thought.

I agree with the sentiment here (at least, that which I choose to see). I had hoped that we would have 3-4 more points in the bank right now, and could have played a stronger team against Chelsea and then rotate for Brighton. But now, I see the logic of resting some players for Saturday. Of course, we can still hope for the win tomorrow, as an LC semi-final is nothing to sneeze at. Eddie's comment "we’ll have to manage the squad well, picking a team that we think can play very well without risking the players we have" is on the money. And, the injury situation sounds a little better than expected. :utc:

Maybe I'm just channelling my inner Antismhinto here but I've got a sneaking feeling we might get a surprise result tomorrow. It would be typical AFCB really. Poor run in the league, loads of injuries. Take a makeshift team to Stamford Bridge and knock Chelsea out of the cup. Then get everybody back fit, field our strongest team against Brighton and somehow manage to lose ! :downer:

I think we'll progress to our first major cup semi-final tomorrow. You heard it here first !
:utc:

I hope we go for it. Yes I want us to stay in this league but I also want us to have a day out at Wembley and win this thing.
When we played Wigan last year, despite their relegation, they were quite rightly, still proud of winning the FA cup and will be singing about it for years to come. Would be good if we had something else to sing alongside the -17)...but hopefully not get relegated at the same time!

I hope we go for it. Yes I want us to stay in this league but I also want us to have a day out at Wembley and win this thing.
When we played Wigan last year, despite their relegation, they were quite rightly, still proud of winning the FA cup and will be singing about it for years to come. Would be good if we had something else to sing alongside the -17)...but hopefully not get relegated at the same time!

Premier League survival must come first. In my opinion no players that are likely to be involved against Brighton should be included tomorrow night. This will protect against further injury and most important of all - fatigue.

For me the strongest team possible should play we have a chance of making a cup semi final.They are payed Thousands of pounds a week and therefore should be able to play three games in a week if needed.

Normally I would agree with you. However, the pace of the game today is so intense and so the risk of injury and acute fatigue can be wearing on the body. This will occur weather one earns £2.50p a week or 250k a week.

;