Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth

Had a great night last year, hoping there might be a spare ticket floating around for this one, hint hint

Can't wait for this game. I feel like we can beat anyone at the moment. I have absolutely no idea what formation or players EH will go for either :shrug:

This to me is the barometer for where we truly are.

If we win this season could be very special (Europa League)
If we draw we could be looking at top 10
If we lose close we need more of a sample size to see if we can play for top 10
If we lose 3-0, 4-0 or more we could be slapped back down to reality and have relegation battle in the back of our minds.

If we lose 3-0, 4-0 or more we could be slapped back down to reality and have relegation battle in the back of our minds.
and that is your scientific breakdown...? I don't think the result will shape our season, but it will show how far we have come in terms of pitting our improved side against one of the top six...(also think that Chelsea's back four is suspect tbh)

and that is your scientific breakdown...? I don't think the result will shape our season, but it will show how far we have come in terms of pitting our improved side against one of the top six...(also think that Chelsea's back four is suspect tbh)

Think that is where Newcastle went wrong in defending and letting Chelsea come at them.

When Newcastle went behind and had to come out and attack Chelsea they got more success and the equaliser.

I am just saying this is how I will walk away from the result. I am by no means any type of expert or have some scientific algorithm to substantiate my thought process.

Referee Lee Mason will take charge of AFC Bournemouth's trip to Stamford Bridge on Saturday. Last season, he refereed one Cherries game, and it was our trip to Stamford Bridge last season in the Carabao Cup in December.

It depends on formation and personnel I think

I am feeling a very different vibe this year. The good start certainly contributes to it, the new signings look positive, the old guard looks energized for the most part. Sure, there will be some bad results and possibly poor performances, but I am feeling (so no scientific value) that the season will produce far more positives than negatives, and that the negatives will be handled with less panic. A nice drama-free 50 point season .......... ahhhh.

I am feeling a very different vibe this year. The good start certainly contributes to it, the new signings look positive, the old guard looks energized for the most part. Sure, there will be some bad results and possibly poor performances, but I am feeling (so no scientific value) that the season will produce far more positives than negatives, and that the negatives will be handled with less panic. A nice drama-free 50 point season .......... ahhhh.

Best start since we have been in the Premier League.

2018-19 - 7 points.

2017-18 - 0 points

2016-17 - 1 point

2015-16 - 3 points

Who Will Win This Time?

After our comeback from being two down to draw 2-2 against Everton at Dean Court last Saturday and Tuesday night’s 3-0 win against MK Dons in the League Cup, the Cherries are on the relative short trip to London to play Chelsea in the Premier League, this is their second trip to London after beating West Ham in the first away game of the new season. An interesting stat that you may or may not know is we have never drawn with Chelsea home or away.

Chelsea parted ways with their Italian manager/coach Antonio Conte after two seasons in charge. In his first season at Chelsea he won the Premier League Title with 93 points, 7 points clear of second place Spurs. In his second season in charge Chelsea finished in fifth place on 70 points, 30 points behind runaway title winners Manchester City who finished with the ‘magic’ 100 points, 19 points in front of their neighbours Manchester United who claimed second spot.

Coming into the Chelsea ‘hot seat’ is another Italian Maurizio Sarri formerly of Napoli. Sarri never played professional football and was an amateur player and coach while working as a banker. He came into full time coaching at the relative late age of 40. He has managed a number of clubs in his career. Gianfranco Zola returns to Chelsea and is the new manager’s assistant first team coach.

Sarri has had a good start in the Premier League with Chelsea winning their first three games. First game was away at Huddersfield Town in a 0-3 win. Chelsea then met and beat 3-2 fellow London side Arsenal at Stamford Bridge. Their last game was a 1-2 victory away at Newcastle, managed by Rafael Benitez, who Sarri replaced as manager of Napoli. Chelsea dominated most of the game against Newcastle and if you hadn’t known you would have thought Newcastle were the away side by their defensive tactics letting Chelsea dominate their half of the pitch. In this game it was reported that Chelsea’s new signing Jorginho made 158 passes in the game, which is a new Chelsea record and second highest ever in the Premier League.

In the Summer Transfer Window Chelsea made four signings, Sarri bringing in midfield player Jorginho from his former club Napoli, the fee is undisclosed. Spanish goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga from Athletic Bilbao for a world record £71 million for a goalkeeper and also a club record. Also another goalkeeper Rob Green on a free transfer: he was with Huddersfield Town last season. On a season long loan they have signed Mateo Kovacic the Croatian midfield player from Real Madrid. This sees goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois going the other way to Real Madrid on a permanent deal.

Last season at Stamford Bridge AFCB came away with a great 0-3 victory. After going in at half-time with honours even, Callum Wilson broke the deadlock in the 51st minute after receiving a pin point pass from Jordan Ibe to make the score 0-1. In the 64th minute from another good move Callum Wilson laid off a good pass to Junior Stanislas who slotted the ball past Courtois to make it 0-2. This wasn’t the end of the goals, three minutes later, Junior Stanislas the scorer of the second goal turned provider and his shot was turned in by Nathan Ake, who has a habit of being in the right place at the right time to make it 0-3, this was the final score. If you read the stats for the game and didn’t know the score, you would be forgiven for thinking that this might have been a Chelsea victory. Chelsea had 66% possession, 21 shots against the Cherries 11, but the telling factor was both sides had 5 shots on target, 3 of the Cherries shots were turned into goals.

In our games against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge since we have been in the Premier League, AFCB have Won 2, Drawn 0, Lost 1. The only other time we have played Chelsea away in the league was in the 1988-89 season in the old Division 2, we lost by 2-0. In all competitions, AFCB have Won 3, Drawn 0, Lost 8.

Chelsea Team News
Cesc Fabregas has been out with a leg injury and unlikely to be available for Saturday. Chelsea have a very strong squad to pick from after winning their opening three games.

Chelsea Player To Watch
They have a few players to choose from, but it has to be Eden Hazard, he has a good goal scoring record against us, scoring in 4 out of our 6 Premier League games so far, his total is 5 goals, he got a brace in the game at Dean Court in the 2015-16 season, our first season in the top league. He is a very hard working player and seems to be buzzing around the pitch and a player who you need to watch all the time.

AFCB Team News
Lys Mousset is a doubt with an ankle injury picked up against MK Dons on Tuesday night. Marc Pugh has a hamstring injury. Junior Stanislas still out with a knee injury. Can’t see Eddie making any changes to the side that has won 2 and drawn 1 so far in the best start we have had since being promoted to the Premier League. He has new signings Diego Rico and Jefferson Lerma available now if he wants to make any changes, but expect they will start on the bench.

AFCB Player To Watch
Going to go for Callum Wilson, looking good this season so far, was also MOM in the fixture at Stamford Bridge back in January.

Some of us have zero points, I get through mates and here because the effort and hoops required to jump through, which also means I've not added any points last season

That said I think I have a ticket headed my way, just explaining how we slip through the net

;